Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > Clinics/Performances
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
jsuplicki

Review of Virgil's North Canton, Ohio Clinic

This was the first time I was able to see Virgil in a clinic atmosphere and the 4hr. drive was well worth it (drove from Buffalo, NY). The opening solo was simply amazing, his control over the instrument is mindboggleing. After quite a long solo, he went over some of the things he was most recently working on in a handout everyone received at the start of the clinic. The interdependant excercises he titles as "Layers" are practically beyond comprehension. I can't imagine just how long it took him to master those exercises to play them with such control and finess. He is truly a master at his craft. He then went on to do an example of the main groove from the Planet X song Antaraxia and followed it with playing along to the track in full...just awesome! Then it was time to answer many questions from the large crowd at hand. He has a great sense of humor and was very down to earth, honest and had a great attitude about all topics/questions brought to him. He answered all questions with the best of his ability, including "How do you come up with your drum parts ?"...that was the best! The clinic ended with him playing along to a new song from the next to be released CD from Planet X, Quantum Factor. After the clinic he took a break and there were door prizes to be won. My wife and I both won a pair of Vater sticks and a Pearl baseball cap...go figure. After all prizes were handed out he then signed autographs and took pix with all who wanted them. All in all it was the most amazing drum clinic I have seen to date. He is definatly a legend in his own time.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Christopher
Administrator

Right on!

I'm glad you had a great time, and thanks so much for the review! - If you have any pics from the event, don't hesitate to send it over.

Cheers!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #3
Lad.

Who was it who asked him if he had a five piece? His answer to that question made me laugh out loud. He talked about his 18" floor tom as being nothing but a "water rest".
I bet the guy who asked felt rather embarrassed, but it was all in good humor.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
Lad.

Oh yeah, and I did acquire a signed snare head from the whole thing. I have to credit that to Quint though. For one, he's the one who pulled me through and got me up there in time, and not only that, this very drumhead in the picture was one that he won in a drawing, but being the super guy he is, he gave it to me. I then got it signed, and we were on our way.

( the underlined is a hotlink, folks. Click away )
Old 04-15-2004, 05:39 AM   #5
Christopher
Administrator

Glad to hear you made it to the clinic, Lad.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:45 AM   #6
stapper15

Chris i will send you a ton of pictures from the tampa clinic, after if done and maybe ones from sat. if i take any.

stapper
Old 04-15-2004, 07:41 AM   #7
Christopher
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapper15
Chris i will send you a ton of pictures from the tampa clinic, after if done and maybe ones from sat. if i take any.

stapper

Stapper, please do, I always welcome pictures for Virgil's gallery. Just make sure that you don't send me a super blurry picture either

Cheers!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
Lad.

Did anyone notice people walking out after Virgil's solo? Why on earth would they leave that early in the clinic?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
jsuplicki

With it being a free clinic, I'm sure many of the people there didn't even know who he was but just went 'cause it was FREE. They could've not cared for his playing, expected something else or figured they had better things to do, who knows? I knew I was there and stayed long enough to get pictures of him playing, win some door prizes, buy a video/signature stix, have a drum head signed and get a picture with him. I'm satisfied .
Old 04-16-2004, 01:41 AM   #10
jimi

That's the cool thing about Virgil, he meets and talks to everyone that wants to see him after the clinics!
Old 04-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #11
Lad.

I bet he's never coming to Canton again...ever...ever ever....ever ever ever...
Old 05-01-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
Mack N Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad.
I bet he's never coming to Canton again...ever...ever ever....ever ever ever...

Did a lot of people walk out or something? When I saw him here in Wisconsin, it seemed like nearly everyone stuck around. Then again, the Madison area (where he played) is a big drumming town with the UW Scouts and cats like Clyde Stubblefield and Butch Vig residing here.

People are weird though. It makes you wonder how many people probably walked out on Mozart while he was actually conducting his breakthrough symphonies. It also goes to show how many people are so distracted and concerned with their own little lives that they can't stop to truly recognize such a rare talent--especially when they don't have to pay for it.