Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Kinetic drummer

Question do you think strap d.b. pedals are faster????

undefined
HI EVERYONE!!!

I recently saw virgil in hollywood, ca. by the way.. the guy is getting sicker and sicker...VIRGIL DOESNT PLAY! HE HUMILLIATES DRUMMERSS!!!!
OK. here´s the thing...

i have thought that double chain bass drum pedals were the strongest and the ones with quickest response and speed.
though, i saw virgil playing a strap pedal.....
so... it is faster... what would you recommend???

i also saw this monster drummer THOMAS LANG, who has developed doubles, triples, quintuplets strokes with his feet. he also uses a strap pedal....
so....

comments are welcome...
((i have an iron cobra with double chain, that works fine for me... i tried the pearl eliminators,, with a plastic strap...and now its write off... its broken!!!))
Old 04-13-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
Lad.

I would stick with chain if I were you.
I mean, I'm not guru on this kinda stuff, but it sounds to me that it's the exact same concept. As long as the cam and the board are connected then it's fine with me...however! Strap may have a quicker response. All I've ever had ( yeah, what have I had anyway? ) were chain drive pedals. Never had a problem with the chain popping off or anything...

Here we have chain drive...has a chain, and can get considerable speed as well as durability.
Whether or not it is quicker than a strap, we have yet to find out.

Here we have strap driven...has a strap, and Virgil plays badass with them.
The durability facter can be rather iffy, considering your story about your pedal, but they very well could be quicker, due to a quicker response than chain.
I really can't help you here, but hey, I threw in my two cents didn't I?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:35 AM   #3
C.J.

To start of, if there's one thing my teacher always told me it's "It's you who plays the drums and not the contrary" (well he says it in french but that's the translation). It is true that you may get better response with certain pedals, but in the end YOU make the speed, control and blah blah blah.... Don't change for a strap or whatever just because you saw other guys use 'em, use what feels good for you !! I mean if I got Virgil to play on my kit he wouldn't play different or be slower or anything... All that stuf is in your head !! It's the hard work that makes the difference, not the drums, pedals or hardware... That is how I see things (don't hit me guys it's only my opinion !!!)

Anyway answering your question about the straps : I use em', and my ol' friend uses the same Eliminators but with chains. If I'm right here, the straps have a sort of "floating" feel, they feel less stif... For the durability i'm surprised they broke ! They're made out of some metal that is knited into that strap and are suposed to be highly durable...

May the Stix be with you !
Old 05-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
peter

I used chains for years and years. I have switched.
You should try them. Don't just use them because
Virgil does BUT consider why he might.

You mentioned "plastic straps". What are these? I
bought the Eliminators, with the monster, steel-
cord straps. These are the ones to use.

Also, experiment with the Power-Shifter, especially
set all the way in, towards the kick. Gene Okamato
(Pearl Rep) and I have talked about why this set-
ting brings about the best sensitivity.

Last edited by peter : 12-10-2004 at 07:21 AM.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
GreenPremier

I'd recommend the strap drives, they've treated me well with nice response. Although I do disagree that Thomas has the doubles of Virg. On his video they're just not as powerful and clean as I expect...that's just me though.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #6
cjcdrums

Someone's always bashing Thomas. Man. You're right on, CJ. It's the technique that makes the player, not the pedals! I have the Sonor Giant Step (which Thomas played, coincidentally) strap drive double pedal and it's extremely smooth. As far as pedal response, however, I am sure that the shape of the cams are what makes the biggest difference. And the shoes!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #7
Johnny

I find the strap to be both quicker and requiring less effort. And I played chains for 15 years.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
woulfer

A chain is only flexable at the links. A strap moves over its entire length. It, in theory, will take longer for a chain to "reset" its shape during each stroke.

I have both the chains and straps for my eliminators. I prefer the straps.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM   #9
pcannon

Talking

TRY BOLTH, that's the ONLY way to tell, I found out that straps FELT better to me. Also I've broken chains, never broke a strap. One interesting fact, with a strap if you lift up on your foot plate from underneith, the beater moves, do this with a chain nothing happens. Does this mean that the beater will come back faster? You be the judge!
Old 12-14-2004, 09:49 AM   #10
IronCobraMan

wat about playing at extreme speeds.... for example, in one of my bands songs... i play constant single 16th's on my feet at 230 for a solid 55-60 seconds.... now im all for comfort ... but wouldnt straps reduce my ability to respond to the pedal at that speed.... and if not ,then i think ill invest in some of those ugly yellow straps u dudes are talkin about... i need some feedback , im a psycho when it comes to this foot stuff..
Old 12-15-2004, 04:08 AM   #11
pcannon

I think you would benefit from straps! The footplate would return faster, therefore your ready for the next note quicker. Try it,you'll like it!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #12
alencore
Drum Therapist

i see......how about solid straps?
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:06 AM   #13
peter

When you talk 'solid', you are talking direct-drive
and that is the quickest response, by far.

Longboards and Vruk's bring it back even faster,
theoretically, IF the heel is helping to bring it back.

Straps are smooth. I think that's why Virgil still
uses them. Gene (at Pearl) tells me that they
are thinking about coming to market, with a
direct-drive pedal. I think that would be wise.

I have yet to see the Gatzen Direct-Drive but
remember that the first direct-drive was the
Ludwig Speed-King. The Ghost Pedal then
came, I think.

Old 12-18-2004, 06:02 AM   #14
alencore
Drum Therapist

i see...tnx for the infos pete.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
Drumodad

Hello all. I have not been here in some time.
Here because I am trying to relocate a bit of info I read somewhere, I kust cant remember where. I thought it was Through Joe Strosnicks Ballistic bass drum tecnique but someone who did that told me they dont remember it being there.
So , does anyone recall ever reading or seeing about lifting the heel of bass drum pedals to make the pedal sit higher in the back?
Something about the foot board being parrallel to the floor.
Thanks, and remember to keep a loose grop.