Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > Clinics/Performances
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
Mack N Drum

Reaction to Virg's clinic, Drums N' Moore, Monona, WI.!

First of all, I want to say thanks to Virgil for coming and giving us a great clinic; by far, the best I've ever seen! Just in case you happen to read this post, I'm the guy that sat right up front and was the first to talk to you after the clinic at the counter--the guy that has a picture of you framed and on the back of his toilet seat, remember? Ha!

Before going on, I have to make mention of one of the funniest and most memorable ironies I've ever experienced (I'm sure that Virg won't forget!): while he was soloing and and doing a "Dog Boots" type of groove, this little dog walks up on stage! I guess it was one of the employee's dogs, but definitely hilarious. I made a joke during the Q & A about it and Virg said something like, "They just come running..."

Anyway, the turn out was great; it became standing room only and there were certainly a lot of gasps. Virg said that the solo was an improvisation, but I have to say that it was some the finest soloing I've heard from him. He's really developed some great interdependence ideas and modulations and he seemed very relaxed and like he was enjoying himself. Here's a quote from him as he was wrapping up the clinic; and I'm paraphrasing:

"Well...I think it's time for some pizza or Indian curry or something...I haven't had anything to eat since breakfast!"

He even dared to ask how many of us were "cheese makers!" Quite the entertaining clinician! To end, I had a great time, Virg was brilliant and down to earth, and the turn out was fantastic. Oh, and how 'bout that Pearl 2000 stand?
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
Lad.

Talking

I like the thing about the dog. However, it would help much more if I knew what the dogboots beat was. Then I'm sure I'd laugh heartily about it.
I myself saw Virgil for the first time tonight.
It's kinda scary when he's 3 feet in front of you, because you can't beleive you're seeing him, but I got a signed Snare head ( one which I will NEVER play, but keep on display to admire ) and I'm happy.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:52 AM   #3
dogboots

Dogboots is a planet x song.. Donīt know it?? (I guess itīs my job to tell you) ;p
Itīs about 200bpm and virg plays 16th through the whole song... (But very dynamic and musical...)

Yes, when I saw Virgil in a clinic (some time ago, guess last year in germany at musik produktiv) it was kinda scary... I was talking to him later on and he was signing me a drumstick... I was prety stumbed... Was like when a little girl would stay in front of britney suddenly

Cheers, Yannic

P.S. Itīs time for pizza for me now, too...
Old 04-14-2004, 05:34 AM   #4
stapper15

omg now you guys have me even more excited to see virgil!!! in 3 days (Sat) im having a private lesson with him and then sunday im going to his clinic!! im so excited!!!!! i can wait to hear virgil do some unecessary double bass! lol

stapper
Old 04-14-2004, 07:11 AM   #5
mauricio

Send a message via ICQ to mauricio
"I canīt wait to hear virgil do some unecessary double bass! lol"
LOL That was the funniest thing I heard in a while.....
Thanks for the laugh stapper15!!!!!!
mauricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
Mack N Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboots
I was prety stumbed... Was like when a little girl would stay in front of britney suddenly

Yeah, me too! Although I'm not a huge "fan" of Britney from a musical standpoint, I would certainly be a "fan" of meeting her in person. She probably smells really good too...

Anyway, it's funny, because most of us would probably much rather meet Virgil than Britney! But, now since I've met Virg, meeting Britney would be cool too--if not purely just to see her in the flesh and get a nice hug.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #7
Lad.

I don't care if I ever meet Britney.
I think she's redic.
I'd rather meet a hot drummer chick, like Hilary Jones.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
stapper15

hmm...Britney... haha lol
Old 04-14-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

lars ulrich

Last edited by MaltBuddow3 : 02-12-2013 at 11:09 PM.
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
jonberg

Send a message via MSN to jonberg
Ahhhh, Hilary!!!!!!
Thatīs one fine woman
She said in Modern drummer mag once that she is a "jeans & T-shirt woman", and thatīs how I want a woman. You know,drink beer and eat raw meat
/ Jonberg