User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

Matt.Damon

lars.ulrich/matt.damon

Last edited by MaltBuddow3 : 05-21-2012 at 10:05 AM.
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
ive been working on paradiddles lately (occassionally doubles) and coming along quite nicely.

ive also been working on trying to perfect flam-accents throughout the kit..and doing quite nicely.

haha, keep up the good work man..i know if u practice ull get it..gotta say the same for myself!
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
shaftninja

Send a message via AIM to shaftninja
That **** is rough, man. I can play it but not quite up to par with Virgil's presentation of it on his master class section of the TUDW 2002 DVD. It's getting there though. I've shedded many rudiments with a 'side' of my body against the other side. Try interweaving them as well so you can play the rudiment with ANY hand against ANY foot (not just left hand against left foot, and etc) and apply the other rudiment to the remaining two limbs. Currently, I'm working on the other interdependent exercises from those clinic sheets, but I've sort of expanded the original concept into something a bit more challenging (and a bit more 'me,' appropriately).
shaftninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:03 AM   #4
Lucius

Ive come up with something to sort of help me get to that exercise Virg displays, and its starting with singles between my RH and RF whilst playing sticking patterns with the opposite limbs (LH & LF) I just do the first say the first 10 patterns of stick control with my own little variation on it but with inverted doubles so the whole sticking thing would go:

RLRLRLRL
RRLLRRLL
RLLRRLLR
LRLRLRLR
LLRRLLRR
LRRLLRRL
RLRRLRLL
RLLRLRRL
RRLRLLRL
RLRLLRLR

Atm Im just trying to get each pattern down, which means spending time on one until perfected (blah blah). Still not there yet, but I have come up with this whole system which allows me to do Virgils thing, but also a whole lot of different, but helpful stuff before hand.

Whoops, forgot 2 different things, one is, the stickings up there are obviously done with the opposite limbs and not right and left, AND how does this lead to Virgil's exercise you say? Well I can answer that, after you have done that, do the singles with you left limbs, and stickings with your right, THEN, once thats done, go to the next sticking in the ones above, and replace the singles with those, so in this case, its doubles, so then work on that, UNTIL you finally get to paradiddles. So by the time you get to doing the paradiddle, you shouldnt have much trouble putting the double paradiddle next to it...! Hope thats of some help! (mind you I cant do it all myself, I just came up with it, and my idea is much more than what Ive explained!)
Old 04-13-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
Lad.

Virgil's paradiddle layering excercise is hard.
Though, this is my first night trying.
I can't quite figure out just how to layer two paradiddles on each side of my body.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

lars dot com

Last edited by MaltBuddow3 : 05-21-2012 at 10:06 AM.
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 03:28 PM   #7
jsuplicki

I also have been dabbleing with this excercise and to play just the right side and the left side by themselves I'm able to do, it's placing them together that is unbelieveably difficult. As mentioned above by MaltBuddow3, reading the notes for what they are may be a better approach. Once I get the hang of it and I can get it up to a decent tempo, the rudiments and feel will come to me to where a can then segment it, start/stop different limbs and be more experimentive with the excersize. With only time and practice will I find out.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:31 PM   #8
unsonor

paradiddle layering excercise ... hmm... HOW does this exercise look please ? Safe days . And I think i will take the IS IT HARD part when i will see the exercise
Old 08-06-2005, 04:17 AM   #9
johnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad.
Virgil's paradiddle layering excercise is hard.
Though, this is my first night trying.
I can't quite figure out just how to layer two paradiddles on each side of my body.

Turn on your metronome to 60 BPM. Have your hi hat follow the 1/4 note pulse.

The quarter note needs to land on every third beat of the single paradiddle to give you a triplet feel ( 1r l r 2r l r 3l l r 4l r r ). First play it on the snare only.

Once you can do that with your hands, just break it up between your right foot (rf) and left hand (lh) ( 1rf lh rf 2rf lh rf 3lh lh rf 4lh rf rf ).

Finally, just have your right hand follow the hi hat 1/4 note pulse on your ride cymbal or right side hi hat.

After a while, you will be able to not only play the basic triplet paradiddle version, but also the triplet single paradiddle inversions as well between your right foot and left hand ( 1r r l 2r l l 3r l r 4r l r ) or ( 1r l l 2r l r 3r l r 4l l r ) etc. (Sorry Virg if I stole your next lesson)

Just take it slow.

Last edited by johnz : 08-06-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:59 AM   #10
Praseodymium

With regards to the layers, I would suggest rewriting the layer in a more comfortable notation. I couldn't practice the layer even at an extremely slow speed when trying to read virgil's handout from the clinic, so I made it a little different and I can play it at a reasonable tempo now. Maybe I should practice my reading, but right now, independence is more of a priority. However, now that I am comfortable with the accents and the general feel of the layer, I can pick up the tempo and strive to play as quickly as virgil and maybe switch sides without stopping
Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #11
DrummerMom

I would like to learn this double paradiddle/paradiddle layering. I can play the left side hi hat and snare and the right side bass and floor tom. Putting them together is a totally different animal!

Is it written in notation on this board? I would search, but not exactly sure what to search for. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
Jameson

You can write out a reference sheet for yourself by boxing everything...it's aggravating, but it works. Stuff like that gets me through study hall

Mine turn out something like this...

RLRR|LRLL|RLRR|LRLL|RLRR|LRLL
RLRL|RRLR|LRLL|RLRL|RRLR|LRLL

Then just keep on going. It's a quick and easy way to see how each rudiment layers on top of each other. I group in fours for 16th notes (the only real experimenting I've done with the layering of rudiments has been in straight 4 with 16th note subdivisions), but you can do threes for triplets, etc.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:34 AM   #13
DrummerMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson
You can write out a reference sheet for yourself by boxing everything...it's aggravating, but it works. Stuff like that gets me through study hall

Mine turn out something like this...

RLRR|LRLL|RLRR|LRLL|RLRR|LRLL
RLRL|RRLR|LRLL|RLRL|RRLR|LRLL

Then just keep on going. It's a quick and easy way to see how each rudiment layers on top of each other. I group in fours for 16th notes (the only real experimenting I've done with the layering of rudiments has been in straight 4 with 16th note subdivisions), but you can do threes for triplets, etc.

Thank you! I had to right this way to actually wrap my brain around it.

F=Floor Tom
B=Bass
H= Hi Hat w/ foot
S= Snare

FBFF |BFBB |FBFF|BFBB | FBFF|BFBB|
HSHS|HHSH|SHSS|HSHS|HHSH|SHSS|
Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 AM   #14
cjcdrums

I started working on this stuff some time ago and I soon realized that I was doing so only to to impress other drummers. Not only was (is) this stuff way more advanced than I am, it wouldnt benefit me proportionally to the effort it would take to learn it.

This indeed must have been a great exercise for Virgil, because he's already done all the thousands of preliminary exercises that naturally lead up to it. I have not.

What is more useful for me is applications of common grooves against common ostinatos, such as groupings of 3 16ths notes with my right hand against any groove I can think of, then displace the right hand pattern as I acheive fluency with the first. This is something I can apply musically all the time, and immediately.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #15
Drumblast

Better to get down musical styles than do stuff like this---very impractical. Write your own 'impossible' beat. At least it would be your own mess.
Drumblast is offline   Reply With Quote