Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2004, 01:57 AM   #1
C.J.

Hand technique

Hi to everybody !

I have been drumming for a bit now, and I feel that I have come to a point where I need to choose a technique and develop it. I hesitate in between two techniques : the finger control technique, and the wrist technique (like Virgil). Would anybody be able to tell me the ups and the downs of each technique, or simply share their experience using one or the other ?

Thanx alot,
Cheers !
Old 04-09-2004, 02:29 AM   #2
Lucius

Why not just practice both?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
C.J.

When I say finger control technique I hear by that the finger control technique like Marco Minneman uses, which is not commonly used this way I believe... I may be wrong. I don't know many drummers who use that technique a part from him and Terry Bozzio... Others tend to use the Gladstone or Moeller Technique when searching for combined speed and endurance, wich implies using the wrist more than the fingers... That's how I understand the thing, or am I misunderstading something here ??
Old 04-09-2004, 01:53 PM   #4
Xen-

You get more speed with finger technique, but I think that the wrist technique allows a greater range of dynamics. Also, Marco and Terry are always extremely tensed when playing fast.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
Lucius

You dont get more speed in fingers than wrists, just look at Mike Mangini, he broke the record with wrists, it just takes more time, for some things fingers may be better, for some things wrists may be better, so why not develop a good and even facility between the two?
Old 04-10-2004, 03:40 AM   #6
C.J.

Well actually, Marco unoficially broke the record using his technique : " Marco Minnemann has unofficially broken the record by playing 1,080 singles in 60 seconds! A record is officially broken when the score is witnessed by the WFD either by video tape or at a WFD event." this is from the drumometer website. So in that case fingers help to...

I just guess I'll try and find a combintion in between the two then. Thanks for your help guys !

May the stix be with you !
Old 04-10-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
Lucius

Actually, Marco did that ages ago, he unofficially broke Johnny Rabb's record, since Marco did that, Art Verdi broke that, then Jotan broke that, then Mike broke all of them.

"I just received word that Mike broke yet another W.F.D. (World's Fastest Drummer) record this past weekend in Anaheim while attending the NAMM show.
Apparently he broke Jotan's matched grip singles record with 1180!* Apparently Jotan got 1177 in the same event... very close!
Mike now holds 3 of the 4 'official' WFD records (bare hands, matched grip & traditional grip)."

Thats from the Mike Mangini forum, and all of that is offical, so right now, Mike has the world fastest hands on record, using wrists!
Old 04-11-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
ha, finger and wrist..hmm..i actually do a combination of the two!
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #9
quitou

Yup Yup,
Just like Lucius said, right now Mike Mangini has the fastest hands on record...Mike holds the record for bare handed singles (no sticks), traditional grip singles, and matched grip singles...and just like Lucius said, Mike uses all wrists in his strokes NOT fingers...This is something that Mike repeatedly stressed in his clinic, that he uses wrists and not fingers...so if all the speed records are currently held by a guy that uses wrist strokes and not fingers, then I think that means that using fingers is NOT faster than using wrists...going off the top of my head, Mike did 1126 strokes using traditional grip, 1180 using matched and something like 1080 barehanded...these numbers are off the top of my head so they could be a bit off...but the point is, wrists are just as fast (if not faster) than fingers....

Last edited by quitou : 04-11-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:01 PM   #10
Lucius

Pete Drummond also uses maily wrists, and believe me, he's fast! I just think the wrists offer the same amount of speed, but the power to come along with it, but theres no harm in being good at both fingers and wrists, use different parts to play different things, one's feel may better suit the groove to you, or what your playing, it's not really a good idea to limit yourself. Mike does use wrists most of the time, but he can use fingers, maybe I should shut up now!

Last edited by Lucius : 04-11-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:08 PM   #11
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
hey, does anyone have an mangini videos? i cant find anywhere. there arn't any at drummerworld..which is where i usually get ****. i dont think there r any at hudson music. so if anyone knows where i can get mangini videos..or who has any..pls post em! thanx!
Old 04-11-2004, 07:07 PM   #12
Lucius

Old 04-11-2004, 07:39 PM   #13
vdreignsuponus1

me being the dumbass..not checking his own site..ahh..
Old 04-11-2004, 10:46 PM   #14
Lucius

Haha We all have our moments!
Old 04-12-2004, 05:03 AM   #15
jimi

Ya, there's loads of stuff on that site, be sure to look in the forum, there's a 50mb solo (i already had that), a portnoy/mangini mp3 (didnt get it yet!), and other stuff!
Actually if anyone has Mangini clinics, i'd be severely interested!