Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2004, 05:41 AM   #1
woodshed

What kind of Practice Equipment does everyone use?

I'm looking at getting back into a regular practice schedule, and was wondering which snare pad, double kick pad and metronome everybody uses. What is the best to get?

Thanks...
Old 03-05-2004, 06:01 AM   #2
jsuplicki

I use a Real Feel practice pad, double play area, soft/hard on the same side for snare and the Pearl double bass pedal pad for my bass drum practice. Also perfect in conjunction with each other. I always try to play on my kit if at all possible but the pads can be taken anywhere and are not too loud as for everyone around you to hate you . I also have a drum machine to use as a click/metronome. I also create preset practice applications in it so I can start of slow and then progress to the desired speed I'm looking for. It makes it much easier to hear the pattern and play along with it at a compfortable speed than just a click in the backround.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
quitou

I also use a real feel practice pad for the hands, and a pearl bass drum pad...for a metronome I use the Tama Rhythm Watch...it's quite good....has a bunch of features on it, and you can also plug headphones into it so that you can practice on your kit with a click...I also use those drum mutes that you can put right on top of your kit, for those times when I actually want to play on my kit, but my parents don't want me to play too loud...
Old 03-05-2004, 09:55 AM   #4
jimi

Hmmm i think i'll invest in one of these Pearl Kick pads. I get to spend so much more time on my practice pad, than on my kit. I use a program called "Weird Metronome" (from download.com i think) when i'm near the computer, and my Zoom Rhythmtrak drum machine when i'm elsewhere. Oh yeah and i have a billy hyde practice pad ... not the reel feel deal but does the job fine for me
Old 03-05-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Lucius

I use a Billy Hyde pad mainly, but I do use a Real Feel everynow and again, im looking into getting a Moongel pad (yes, I think im turning in to a pad freak heh). I have a Hydes practice kit which is just a Dixon rack with 4 small Hydes pads on it, one of them acts as a ride, and I have a Hydes bass drum pad with Eliminator pedals, and I have this cool metronome program which only cost me 10 bucks (I have a Mac so I have to search around and PAY for metronomes on the com, but 10 bucks is better than 200, cause thats what something solid would cost with the features it has) its called Dr. Betotte, it's pretty mad, and I play on that stuff everyday! So thats my practice set up.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
when it came to pads, i always used tama and real feel! (good bit of ppl use real i see). the only set i own is my own kit, and i just throw the pads on there! u know how it goes. i try to practice without the pads as much as possible, but parents, eh, difficutlies..

i use the same for cymbal pads. when it comes to double bass, i dont even pad those mother ****ers! i cant stand padding the bass drum, i just have a think against it. eh, thats just me..
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:13 AM   #7
jonberg

Send a message via MSN to jonberg
I use a real feel practise pad for my hands, works very good.
I also have a Pearl BD10 (I think its called that) pad for the feet, I really recommend it, but before christmas I lost one part of it, so I gotta find that or buy a new one.

My metronome also broke a week ago so I gotta buy a new one, hmm, looks like I gotta buy a bunch of stuff, hehe...drummers loves stuff!
Old 03-07-2004, 03:30 AM   #8
jimi

I detest cymbal mute pads!!! They sound so bad, like the covers off pots and pans or something. If i NEED to use them i find i stay away from the cymbals as much as i can, for instance practising DB patterns woth toms and snare.
anyways, i'll stop giving out ... yep i'll get me a Pearl BD-10 soon enough
Old 03-08-2004, 05:29 AM   #9
Galapagos

Practice Kits

Hi Jimi,

I have a Bill Sanders kit and it's just ace. Before you check out the BD-10, I would check out this gear. I used to have a BD-10 and I much prefer the feel of the Sanders kick pad. Anyhow, it's up to you. You'll find a review of the Bill Sanders kit somewhere on www.mikedolbear.com - search the archive and you'll find it!

Take care,

Jonathan
Old 03-08-2004, 07:20 AM   #10
jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galapagos
Hi Jimi,

I have a Bill Sanders kit and it's just ace. Before you check out the BD-10, I would check out this gear. I used to have a BD-10 and I much prefer the feel of the Sanders kick pad. Anyhow, it's up to you. You'll find a review of the Bill Sanders kit somewhere on www.mikedolbear.com - search the archive and you'll find it!

Take care,

Jonathan

Thanks Looks good, but seems a bit hard to get a hold of. The exchange rate between Sterling and Euro aint great. Still throwing round the idea of making my own using a billy hyde pad and some more padding, not sure really
Old 03-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #11
candyman

I use the new practice kit set by Gibraltar. It was designed by Real Feel. It is called the HQ 4.