Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
jimi

Stick Twirl and Click Vids!! UPDATE

Ok guys here it is! This is what i came up with, and if you have any questions at all, please ask! The vids are .wmv files so you'll need Windows Media Player to play the vids, and the player might have to download a codec, but it doesn't take long at all. I had to zip the files to upload them on the net.
Enjoy!

RIGHT CLICK THESE FILES AND CHOOSE "SAVE AS"!! THESE FILES WON'T WORK OTHERWISE

Stick Twirls:
Standard twirls used by Virgil where he rolls the stick around his fingers. You can start between baby and ring finger, ring and middle finger, or middle and index finger.
Check out the vid here:
Stick Twirls (right click and "save as")

Helicopter Twirl:
I think Virgil uses some sort of variation on this, it's like a fake spin, but spinning horizontally.
I startwith the stick between my thumb and index finger. Put my middle finger behind and begin to twirl the stick horizontally.
Helicopter 1 (right click and "save as")

The second vid on this adds another twirl right after to keep the stick spinning for another revolution.
If you stop your hand just before you finish the H.twirl, your palm should be facing the sky and gripped between the thumb and index finger. Then you simply push the stick with your index finger and let it roll around your thumb.
The vid should make it much clearer:
Helicopter 2 (right click and "save as")

Fake Spin to Trad. Grip:
I use this to get back to trad. grip after doing something in matched, (like when a spin in the left hand ends up in matched grip).
Just do a normal fake spin, but when the stick comes back to the starting point, let the momentum carry it around your index finger and it will land in trad. grip. It will be hard to catch it at first, but keep trying!
Actually, i haven't seen Virgil do this but i thought i'd throw it in anyway because the other ways i know of to get from matched to trad somehow seemed to be alot slower.
Fake to Trad (right click and "save as")

Power in the Twirls:
Virgil said that he uses the cymbals to add power to his stick twirls. The bottom stick in the vid is acting as the cymbal edge. The vid explains it all:
Power (right click and "save as")

Super Virgil Twirl!:
The SVT as i call it is a twirl that Virgil does in the interview on the Ring of Fire DVD. It begins with a simple twirl starting between the index and middle fingers. But instead of the stick coming back between the thumb and index finger, it is passed over in between the middle and ring finger. Then your wrist simply turns around and you end up in trad. grip.
I really like this twirl, and wanted to use it with the right hand as well as the left. But it seemed stupid to end up on trad. grip in the right hand. One day i figured out that i could continue the twirl by simply using the standard twirl right after! So this twirl notches up 5 full revolutions of the stick! Cool!
SVT 1 (right click and "save as")
The second vid shows the SVT in both hands, a double SVT i suppose.
Double SVT (right click and "save as")

Back Stick clicks:
Any of you that have seen Virgil in action might have seen him start stick clicking within a groove during a drum solo. These vids show what he does on the hi-hat. It would be handy to have some basics on backsticking learned for this trick.
Back stick 2a (right click and "save as")
Back stick 2b (right click and "save as")

The rhythm for this trick is (1)2 3(4)5(6)7 8 where brackets are stick-clicks
Trad Triplet Click (right click and "save as")

Fake spin stick clicks:
And of course at the end of this routine Virgil normally stands up and does some triplet fake spin stick clicks. This move is easy to get the hang of, but to do them as well as Virgil is another story altogether! The vid shows well enough how to do it i think.
Fake spin triplets (right click and "save as")

Hope that helps you guys!
Cheers

New Link

Last edited by jimi : 03-03-2004 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
Christopher
Administrator

Im moving this to the right part of the forum, Jimi.

This is really great of you. However, it's not a good idea to put your files at Geocities because they have a download/bandwidth limiter which will not let people download after a certain amount of transfers.

Cheers!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:47 AM   #3
alencore
Drum Therapist

wow! tnx jimi. hope someone host them on a better server.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
jimi

@chris: thanks, maybe i could upload them here? its only just over 10megs. Or else i could try anycities and somewhere else?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
peter

Jimi,

You can send them to me. I'm not sure if you can
attach to pm but try.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:53 PM   #6
Lucius

Ahhh man, only two of 'em worked!
Old 02-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
quitou

Thanks a bunch Jimi...I downloaded a couple of them this afternoon and they worked fine....I haven't tried all of them yet though....
Old 02-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #8
Lucius

I'll have to go to the other computer, the files dont work on my Mac for some reason, thanks Jimi!
Old 02-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #9
jimi

Cool
i'm glad you guys liked them! I found some other places where i can put up the files so i'll do that next week and just post alternative links or something like that, ok?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:20 AM   #10
steve

try uploading them to http://www.cky2k.org/upload/ (if there under 6meg)
Old 02-28-2004, 08:48 AM   #11
Jonny

They're not working with me.........
Old 02-28-2004, 09:20 PM   #12
drummer_jose

Hey Jimi, I could only download two videos of yours...if you can fix the server problem so I could download the other files I would be very grateful to you. Thanks
See Ya
Old 02-29-2004, 01:44 AM   #13
jimi

The links will be fixed sometime early week guys
Old 03-01-2004, 10:43 AM   #14
Jonny

thx...............
Old 03-03-2004, 10:53 AM   #15
jimi

Right at the bottom of the post you'll find a link to an FTP area where some of the files are. however, the few that are over 1mb are still only on geocities so if you want them that bad, you'll just have to keep trying.
anyone who wants to share the files and info themselves elsewhere - feel free