Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Dre25

Goals this year

Hey guys, forum seems a bit dead lately so I thought I'd post this up, invite you to think if you haven't already thought about what you want from the new year in terms of your drumming and your music?

Me personally - I want to develop my hands as they are holding me back.

I might look into removing a rack tom so I can bring cymbals in a little closer within reach of my right hand. Some slave hats might also be on the cards.

I don't see a future with my band at this point in time, only one other member is motivated so I think I should start looking for new people to play with while that situation plays out.

I want to make at least one youtube video if only for my own reference. I've gotten some really useful feedback from other youtube viewers in the past.

What are your goals this year with your drumming and your music?
Dre25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Matthias

+1 on the youtube video.

getting better.

getting better.

getting better.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Matus

- Get my chops back on shape, which means start spending more quality time at the practice room.
- Use all the spare time on tour to get serious on the guitar.
- Finally get together with some buddies and pull off our Dream Theater tribute concert.
- Record some tunes with a fellow guitarist who's amazing and unique and a great bass player/stickist I'm also friends with. We've been talking about it for years now.
- Dust off my video cam, get a new sibelius copy and finish some stuff I've been writing for a while on coordination and linear phrasing.
- And not music, but related, also get serious on the gym again. I've been losing weight drastically and I'll be needing the extra physical shape this year.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Drumblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25
Hey guys, forum seems a bit dead lately so I thought I'd post this up, invite you to think if you haven't already thought about what you want from the new year in terms of your drumming and your music?

Me personally - I want to develop my hands as they are holding me back.

I might look into removing a rack tom so I can bring cymbals in a little closer within reach of my right hand. Some slave hats might also be on the cards.

I don't see a future with my band at this point in time, only one other member is motivated so I think I should start looking for new people to play with while that situation plays out.

I want to make at least one youtube video if only for my own reference. I've gotten some really useful feedback from other youtube viewers in the past.

What are your goals this year with your drumming and your music?

I think your goal should be to quit the lame band. That's what is holding you back. Do it now.
Drumblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Dre25

It's just plain hard to find decent musicians and even harder to find ones that want to play and practice regularly. I'm keeping these guys around because they've become good friends mostly, I'm sure the band is dying a natural death so I probably won't have to quit anyway. If I had time I'd pick the piano up again and start my own solo project.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
D. Slam

Send a message via AIM to D. Slam
My goal this year is to document some of my musical ideas that I've wanting to for some years now...

Waiting on a good thing, you just find yourself getting old...
If I want more I realize that I have to do more. To get
different is to do different. My goal is to do more and do
different on the musical front this year, to be more diverse.

Last edited by D. Slam : 01-14-2011 at 12:44 PM.
D. Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Dre25

How did everybody go? And what new goals are you setting this year?

Reading back on this thread everything I predicted/suggested came to fruition. I started playing x-hats and removed a rack tom, the band broke up and I'm looking for new people, and I recorded about an hour of playing in the last few days of december. I'm still picking out some highlights but it has opened my eyes to a few things about my playing.

I put maximum effort in over the past 6 months and I'm pretty happy with my progress, it's only slight but that's because playing the drums is SO HARD. I have 2 good books and a lengthy routine of my own but I also have a new life in the city so I've got less time and less access to drums, but I do my best. I got hold of the tommy Igoe DVD to fix my crappy technique and slowly but surely I'm getting better.

So for the year 2012 I'm planning on focusing on technique because I really think having bad technique limits me and has done for a long time. I'm going to keep fine tuning my practice routine, keep working on Virgil's book, Dicenso's book (so damn hard!) and the Tommy Igoe thing but something I realize I've lost sight of is just playing purely for enjoyment, and I'm going to allocate time each week to just playing along to cd's or freestyling.

I'm also thinking about getting a new kit and finally starting my career as a drummer in the live scene, doesn't matter who I play with, I just want to get out there and give it a go. I work in finance during the day but all I've ever wanted was to have fun playing music.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Matthias

wow, wow, wow!! that was one year ago already!?

well, I suppose I did get better. But still the goal remains .
youtube videos: started composing stuff, but it needs a lot of work still.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Florian Bruenin

I'm planning to get married =)
Florian Bruenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
Staplez440

Get the Camera etc. that I need then get myself up on youtube then use those videos to fine tune my playing,as well as try to get gigs and hopefully be able to collaborate/get involved with awesome musicians and bands

Musicality
working on balance
continue working on my left side,
speed
polyrhythms
Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
D. Slam

Send a message via AIM to D. Slam
LOL! I came across these guys just last night...
I came in here to post about them and saw this
thread.

Superb, gifted artists! The Justin Bieber cover
blew me away. A lot of people are harping on
the bass player and rightfully so. But from where
I sit, all three of these cats are bad asses. I can
hear a lot of Stevie Wonder influence in Jonah's
vocal application. Great stuff!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Matthias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian Bruenin