Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
traditional or matched?

this might have been asked b4, but im just curious.

what do u prefer, traditional or matched grip? i, myself, am more of a matched person. i cant say i cant do some stuff traditional, but compared to my matched playing, my traditional blows asshole! i kinda wish i wouldve started playing traditional though. especially seeing ppl like buddy rich, vinnie colaiuta, dave weckl, VIRGIL DONATI, and so on..

id also like to know how many left handed drummers we have on this messageboard. one of my friends is left handed and is gonna start playing drums. well, attempt drums. he's more of a bass man though. he's a jaco pastorious fan, for anyone who knows him. anyway, go ahead..
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
Xen-

I'm a left-handed drummer on a right-handed kit. I'm really comfortable this way and having my strong hand on the snare is, I think, a great advantage. It went really fast when I started working on double bass seriously as my left leg was stronger, too.

I switched from matched to traditional a few months ago to balance my speed/control so my right hand could catch up my left in matched grip. I found out that my playing was greatly affected by playing trad. The ideas were flowing more naturally and the result was more musical. I worked hard and now I'm always playing trad like most of my influences (yes, Virgil). There's something about this grip.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
Lucius

Ever since I started playing, I wanted to play trad, but I didnt have the guts to ask my teacher, cause he used to play it sometimes, but a few years later, I switched, it was tough, and I felt like quitting, but I said to myself, I will keep at it, i'll get there, and sure enough, I did, now I play trad, and can get a fairly damn hard hit out of it as well! So answering your question, I prefer trad, but id like to have the ability to switch grips when I want, so every now and again I will work on matched, but there are a lot of things trad can do that matched cant, and vice versa, and right now, im still uncovering what it can do! By studying guys like Virg, Vinnie, Lang, Weckl, Buddy, Morello and other masters, to find out what the have in common, and what they do different! And I think that if everyone tries trad for the first time from matched, their trad playing will blow a**hole haha, anyway, theres my little rant!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
alencore
Drum Therapist

all i know traditional grip was used in the first place bec. marching drummers had their drums slanted so they have to use a different grip for the left hand.

afaic it doesn't matter what grip is used though it does look cooler drummers hitting hard using match grip.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Donny Dee

Traditional vs. Matched Grip

This question has been asked for ages. Many have said, "traditional is the RIGHT way," others have said it's more natural to play the "same" with both hands? Who's right?? Actually I think no one is right. It's a matter of preference.

Seeing ppl like buddy rich, vinnie colaiuta, dave weckl, VIRGIL DONATI show those who've developed Traditional likewise, seeing ppl like Simon Phillips, BILLY COBHAM, The Late Jeff Porcaro etc etc. using matched grip sow players who've developed matched. I think which ever way is confortable for you that is the way you should use as long as you can do what's necessary to be a technically proficient player and persoanlly you should learn both grips.

If you want to look at it historically, the history of drums goes back a long way. In various forms, they have existed since before 6000 B.C. and have been found, historically, in nearly every culture of the world. They weren’t used for entertainment way back then, but had ceremonial, sacred, and symbolic associations. Many civilizations used drums, or similar instruments, to warn their people against dangers or to initiate their armies. The drum was the perfect choice because it was easily made, made a lot of noise, and could be heard loud and clear.

Right up to the time when men started marching with drums at their sides, matched grip was used to play these drums, and rightly so … because it was the natural way to grip the sticks used. So in reality, we can say that the “matched grip” is really the traditional grip and the grip we know as “traditional grip” was devised as a logical answer to playing a drum slung at the side but was never meant for drum set playing. A better label for “traditional grip” would be to call it the “marching grip.”

In my personal opinion, if you approach gripping the sticks logically, it makes sense in all situations, except if you are playing the traditional field marching snare drum, to grip the sticks the same with each hand (matched grip). Even in marching and drum corps they now have slings that enable the drummer to utilize matched grip. In my opinion, matched grip is better suited to most situations, except side sling marching, and enables the drummer better control of the sticks along with “open handed” lead playing with the weaker hand.

BUT, the bottom line is still preference. If the player CHOOSES to develop playing matched he'll do well, if he chooses to develop playing "traditional" he'll do well.....either way it's preference and there is no Right or Wrong way to grip as long as your using the correct sticking method utlizing your fingers and wrists.

Just another way of looking at it.

Keep kickin'
Old 02-13-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
yeah, i get what ur saying man. and, of course, u're right. lately, ive been thinking that maybe i should just switch to traditional right now to be like all of my favorites and the greats, but, i just always seem to stay with matched. for a while, i thought that was just plainly the wrong way, but hey, its my life, its my technique, im good with it!
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
scorponock

Hello I'm new here, i'm from Brazil and my english is bad... all right my opinion
My preference is Martched, because my tradicional is very bad... I will trainning this...
Exist some video in the net about it...?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
Brobjer

I play both and I now feel that I have the same abilities with both. I have trained up a traditional technique where I use my thumb, which allows me to play harder. For more techniqually hard and more controlled playing i use the fingers too.
My matched grip is now german/french with palms down.

Brobjer
Old 02-16-2004, 03:39 PM   #9
shaftninja

Send a message via AIM to shaftninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobjer
My matched grip is now german/french with palms down.

American grip?
shaftninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #10
alencore
Drum Therapist

during college I joined our school marching bec. it was a 100% free tuition fee. I really had to learn traditional grip bec. as mentioned by Donny Dee on marching bands the snare was slung on the side. It was really cool coz I was kinda fascinated by the t- grip on a classic situation. it was the purest moment imho to use t-grip.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #11
stapper15

iva couple months ago i switched to trad grip. it was a little harder to get use to but i got it now! i really enjoy playing this way i donno i just like it better its weird! when i play matchd grip i alwasy end up with a trap grip i like just switch to it with out knowing haha! but i think everyone should learn it just to be familer with it, and knwo know there are more ways to hold a stick than just matched grip.

Stapper
Old 06-23-2004, 10:30 AM   #12
drum_addict_48

Im not really all that good, with trad. But When I played jazz, march, ect. I always tried to play trad. It seemed to help me to be more creative, especially in jazz.
It almost changes my state of mind, I think in more of a jazz realm. Its almost like how an actor has to get into charactor before they can deliver a good performance. Also when I play rock or metal, matched has the same effect on me. I seem to play with less finess and more raw energy.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:25 AM   #13
jimi

both, but i use trad primarily.
check out www.houseofdrumming.com and download a movie about the debate (it's a comedy too!)
Old 06-23-2004, 12:24 PM   #14
Paas

I play with the matched grip but I have decided to learn the traditional.
I mean I know how to play trad but I don't have it under controll yet. I don't get enough power to the strokes.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #15
DavidPartay
meeheehee

Send a message via MSN to DavidPartay
I play traditional grip. I played matched for years, and was giving myself wrist problems because I never managed to get my technique right. So I forced myself to change to traditional. It was actually PAINFUL at first to learn it, but now I'm faster and more relaxed playing traditional grip. The way I got started was doing these exercises in my drumming book written by my old teacher that had exercises to be played on the snaredrum. They were all in groups of 8th notes, triplets and 16th notes. There's two pages of accents, two pages of double strokes and two pages of flams for each subdivision. All the accents, etc. are in the same places. But anyway I worked on the accents and the double stroke exercises and that really strengthened my ability.

Last night I watched Virgil's solo on the TUDW dvd again, and am going to put tons more effort into my double stroke rolls, getting them smooth, fast and consistent.

I also realised just how much I need to work on my feet, so I went to my drums (it was too late to play them), and re-set them up. I ALWAYS set up my kit based on the position of my bassdrum pedals, so I set up the pedal so it is basically straight in line (for the smoothest action possible), and I moved my cymbals down to shoulder height like Virgil has them.

I don't know if I'll have time to practise when I get home from work this afternoon, but I can't wait to play them I might be more comfortable, because the cymbals were very high before, and my pedal was at quite a lot of an angle previously.

David Pardy on YouTube
DavidPartay is offline   Reply With Quote