Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
sharanmoses

Double Bass

Hey guys.... just a query to get cleared out/get some info/advice on....
have decided to work on double bass from the start... am using Virgil's Double Bass Drum Freedom... hoping many of you guys own it too... I've been working on Chapter 1:Primary Left Foot Exercises..... was wondering when to move forward from these exercises to the next... also, up to what tempos do these exercises need to be worked out... obviously since i haven't worked much with the double bass, not sure if i need to work on them till i can even the left leg with the right. It may take years to do that... any others going through or have gone through the same phase? any advice will be appreciated... Thanks...
sharanmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
mgray

Send a message via AIM to mgray
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanmoses
have decided to work on double bass from the start... am using Virgil's Double Bass Drum Freedom... hoping many of you guys own it too... I've been working on Chapter 1:Primary Left Foot Exercises..... was wondering when to move forward from these exercises to the next... also, up to what tempos do these exercises need to be worked out... obviously since i haven't worked much with the double bass, not sure if i need to work on them till i can even the left leg with the right. It may take years to do that... any others going through or have gone through the same phase? any advice will be appreciated... Thanks...

Only move on to the next exercise when you can play the exercise completely comfortably at various tempos. Make sure you can play the exercise fluidly, uniformly and without stopping. If it's not completely fluid, uniform, or if you have to stop in the middle of the exercise, you are going too fast. Slow down. Practice with a metronome, and only increase the speed when you can play the exercise easily at that speed. Increase by 5 BPM or so when you feel comfortable at a certain speed. Do not sacrifice clarity and uniformity for speed. The speed will eventually come. Being able to play exercises at a moderate speed for a long period of time is much more important than being able to play an exercise fast for not very long. For instance, let's just say you are practicing single strokes on the bass drum. Being able to play single strokes at 160 BPM for 30 minutes straight is a better exercise than being able to play 200 BPM for 3 bars. Playing at moderate speeds for longer periods of time is what will increase your speed, not playing faster for a shorter period of time. This applies to ANY exercise that you are working on with drums, not just what is in Virgil's book. There are also tons of other threads on this forum that pertain to Virgil's book, and exercises to improve double bass skills in general.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
sharanmoses

Thanx for replying.... i totally get where you're coming from... it's what i've adopted myself... yet for some reason, i just feel as though i'm not moving ahead with my left leg. i guess that's how every1 feels when playing something new... i'm going to keep at it anyways....
any other tips on how to get the left leg in par with the right?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Matthias

I think it's not different than any other thing you might have practiced or are practicing.

With most good exercise you could stay forever, but you have to move on, too. Any
practice you do helps you in other areas, too, so don't get too much caught up. But
don't move on too fast, either. As mentioned, play an exercise you want to master
until it feels comfortable, you can play it by heart (except when it's a reading ex.),
at various tempos, and with many repetitions without making any mistake.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
mgray

Play with ONLY your left foot on songs. Start simple. For instance, you don't need to play entirely double bass songs. You can play rock songs, but only use your left foot to play, instead of your right. You will soon develop better muscle control in your left foot. Also, you can just set a metronome to a moderate tempo, and play 8th notes or 16th notes for an extended period of time. This should give you a starting point, where you will become more comfortable with playing other exercises. Practice singles between your hands and left foot, doubles, paradiddles, and other exercises too. You'll get there eventually.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
sharanmoses

Thanx for the tips mgray... been working on the left leg extensively working on various exercises from Virgil's DBDF... will definitely try your method as well... it may add some interest to my practice as well playing to a song....
Keep the advice coming...
Old 05-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
sharanmoses

mgray, a small query... you said work on 8th notes and 16th notes at a moderate tempo... could you indicate the approx. tempo range though?? obviously, the lower tempos would be comfortable to work on... and it may take a couple of months before i get to maximum tempo you would indicate in your "moderate tempo range"... so the next question would be, what would be the probable tempo before i decide to move on to another exercise in DBDF??
Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
mgray

Quote:
mgray, a small query... you said work on 8th notes and 16th notes at a moderate tempo... could you indicate the approx. tempo range though?? obviously, the lower tempos would be comfortable to work on... and it may take a couple of months before i get to maximum tempo you would indicate in your "moderate tempo range"... so the next question would be, what would be the probable tempo before i decide to move on to another exercise in DBDF??

Start with whatever tempo you are comfortable with. When I say "comfortable", I mean that you should be able to play it evenly, fluidly, and comfortably, like I said above. If you can't, then you are going too fast. Slow down. I can't say exactly which tempo you should start with, because each person is different. However, I would suggest playing along with rock songs at moderate speed, like 120-160 BPM. Remember, these should be songs WITHOUT double bass. You should practice playing simple songs with ONLY your left foot. Play to music like AC/DC, or similar simple moderate speed rock music. You might have other rock music or moderately paced music that you like and listen to a lot. Become familiar with the music, so you can play along with it without stopping and without having to think about it. You can move on to the next tempo (increase the speed by 5 or 10 BPM at each increment and pick a faster song) when you can play it comfortably. I can't say what speed you should stop at, because again, everyone is different. However, these exercises are meant to help you play MUSIC. They have an application. They should not just be used as the exercise alone, but they should become part of your musical abilities, and you can put them in songs and solos and stuff that you write. I didn't learn how to play doubles on the bass drums JUST so I could play doubles on the bass drums, I learned the doubles because I use them musically within songs and solos that I play.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
sharanmoses

thanks for your well put words... will surely work on this....
Old 05-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
The_Setite

Quote:

Hey dude. The best advice I can give you is to practice each exercise very very slowly for an extended period of time. I use the Mike Mangini approach, playing an exercise at a fixed tempo (60-80 bpm) for half an hour without stopping. Set an alarm and put the tv on! I have found that this really works well for me. You are practicing relaxation. Relaxation gives control which in turn gives speed. Try it and see what you think.
I made a short video on the exercise I like to use. Have a look see what you think. Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duJc...8&feature=g-upl
Old 05-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Staplez440

Solidify through repitition... solidify through repitition

definately recommend checking out Mangini's Rhythm Knowledge One for a lot of insight into developing a practice framework to use in conjunction with any other book(Rhythm Knowledge 2, DB freedom,etc.)