Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
electrizer

Using metronome live

Do you use a metronome while playing live? Whatever the answer is - justify, please. What are the for's and against's?

I think that, obviously, it helps in playing evenly but at the same time focusing on the click instead of the internal pulse prevents one to play creatively as you have to listen to the metronome, instead of other musicians on stage. What are your thoughts?

P.
electrizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Adam

In my opinion, and experience, the metronome only enhances, and never takes out of a performance, except that you might have to "pay attention".

I have always practiced to a click, and never have a hard time with "groove" or anything. It is a wonderful thing!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
isaacleedrums

I really think it just depends on wether or not your playing with sequences or not. If the music is all live then I think playing with a click track running the whole time is like riding a bike with training wheels. Another technique I have seen some great drummers use is starting the click for a few seconds here and there during a song to check themselves on songs that tend to drag or rush then turning it off.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
DavidPartay
meeheehee

Send a message via MSN to DavidPartay
I've tried playing along with a click live but it's just too distracting in the live environment for me.

Not that I have a problem with people who do use a click. It just doesn't work for me. I worry too much about staying on top of the click so that tends to put me out.

David Pardy on YouTube
DavidPartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
treyh

Send a message via AIM to treyh
In one of my bands we have sequences and synth running through the PA. So obviously, I play to a click that has the click and the music(minus drums of course), which took a little while to get used to. But now that I have played to this method for a while i don't even really pay attention to it. Playing to it live actually has made me a better drummer b/c I am now better aware of time in the other bands I am in where I don't use a metronome, because live I some times would play the songs sped up a little b/c of adrenaline and other live factors. We do have "live" parts and I have the click drop out so it gives it that improv feel for me, but I see nothing wrong with it.

It all depends on how you look at it I guess, striving to have perfect time is obviously great, important, and necessary, but if that's all you concentrate on, I believe you will inhibit yourself creatively if that's what people think makes a "perfect drummer" or you better than another drummer. I believe creativity and passion make for a good drummer. You can have the most perfect time keeping abilities, know the most theory, and be perfectly interdependent; all good thing to have, and not have one creative bone in your body or passion for that matter. That is why (you had to see this coming) I love Virgil as a drummer in that he has all these qualities but at the same time he has passion and creativity for drumming and music alike.

Sorry for the rambling, but think of it as a new ability to do live instead of a stumbling block. I don't know why people think b/c you use a click live means your not a good drummer, but I see it as another way to become better if that makes sense.

Last edited by treyh : 06-28-2009 at 07:54 PM.
treyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
cheezruff

vote 4 the click- a long blabfest

I've been using a click with different bands for the last 15 years. Some bands there was no click, some I used a click. My choice of yes or no depends on the time strengths of the players. I hardly ever used it from 2001- 2006, but went back to using it almost all the time as I saw a certain band needed to tighten up some sloppy stuff and timing issues. And I personally felt like my time was getting sloppy, so the click cleaned things up tremendously in the few bands I've been with since '06. ......I feel that now that the band has trained with me using the click, we can shut it off and still be good and polished. The click also helps keep us together when boredom sets in, theres alot of the same tunes being played on my regular gig, and we have to be sharp to keep the feel there and stay in tempo. I will move the tempos around a bit if the song wants to go differently a particular night, and I purposely change tempos for different parts of a couple of songs to create more flow or drama. .......I have no problems with creativity if need be necessary, the click is there as a reference, i can go against it, either randomly/abstractly, or polyrhythmically, as long as I'm doing ideas that I can already do. The concept of not being able to focus on the other players and the click at the same time shows a lack of training on the drummer's part. Any drummer that can't listen to both has not trained enough; the task is a functional given if you're a pro....... My personal opinion is that bands should practice with the click(drummer's click) , and be able to do it live, or take it away without big problems. The best part about the click is I've been able to use it with songs that I had done way back when without the click, its made me wish I would have started using it in the 80's, it would have helped my groove and timing and I might have gotten better gigs!

Last edited by cheezruff : 06-28-2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: adding a thought
cheezruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
MoraeusSWE

I have to ask, does Virgil use a click track live? In Planet X plus in pics on Virgil's myspace/facebook you can see live that he has this laptop on hes side all the time. Then when they begin to play he do something with the computer than they all play....even when the whole band is on stage!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
isaacleedrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezruff
I've been using a click with different bands for the last 15 years. Some bands there was no click, some I used a click. My choice of yes or no depends on the time strengths of the players. I hardly ever used it from 2001- 2006, but went back to using it almost all the time as I saw a certain band needed to tighten up some sloppy stuff and timing issues. And I personally felt like my time was getting sloppy, so the click cleaned things up tremendously in the few bands I've been with since '06. ......I feel that now that the band has trained with me using the click, we can shut it off and still be good and polished. The click also helps keep us together when boredom sets in, theres alot of the same tunes being played on my regular gig, and we have to be sharp to keep the feel there and stay in tempo. I will move the tempos around a bit if the song wants to go differently a particular night, and I purposely change tempos for different parts of a couple of songs to create more flow or drama. .......I have no problems with creativity if need be necessary, the click is there as a reference, i can go against it, either randomly/abstractly, or polyrhythmically, as long as I'm doing ideas that I can already do. The concept of not being able to focus on the other players and the click at the same time shows a lack of training on the drummer's part. Any drummer that can't listen to both has not trained enough; the task is a functional given if you're a pro....... My personal opinion is that bands should practice with the click(drummer's click) , and be able to do it live, or take it away without big problems. The best part about the click is I've been able to use it with songs that I had done way back when without the click, its made me wish I would have started using it in the 80's, it would have helped my groove and timing and I might have gotten better gigs!

Great post. Thanks for your insight and sharing your experience!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Logic1981

hello

in my band Dante ive playing with click. I use and alesis24 great harddisk recorder. Here you have 24 inputs and outputs and so esily sepearte the click form the playback
To me playing with click means getting sometimes more feel than without That sounds silly but the challenge is that you play on the click but not like a drumcomputer but with some space to variate

Check out "The Lone And Level Sands"

--------------------------------------------------
www.christian-eichlinger.com
www.christianeichlingerblog.de
www.danteband.de
--------------------------------------------------
Logic1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 AM   #10
Mezzair

The only trouble I have playing with a click track live is that I can never hear it. I've always had trouble with in ear monitoring. Can anyone share what in ear phones they use when playing to a click track (Don't really fancy playing a gig with big over ear cans)