Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2003, 04:53 AM   #1
DavidPartay
meeheehee

Send a message via MSN to DavidPartay
Virgil has muscles on his arms where I never knew they existed...

So how does he get them? hehe.

I just got the UDW DVD, and BLEEEE!!!! SO GOOD! I saw Damien Corniola when he was 11 and he was already really really good, and seeing him on the DVD was like :O~!

But yeah... Does anyone know if Virgil does any exercises/workouts for his arms? I have honestly never seen such huge muscles on anyone's arms... Or is it all just from playing?

David Pardy on YouTube
DavidPartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
alencore
Drum Therapist

hehe, from playing those awesome modulated ostinatos from either limb.

personally speaking, any hand exercise work-out doesn't work coz when i did some push-ups after a week i couldn't do those fast 16th notes triplets with ease as i use to. then i met drummer turn body builder also felt the same deal playing the drums again.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:45 AM   #3
DoubleBass_Rob

It's not so much the drumming at it's also his intensive diet and working out.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:29 AM   #4
DavidPartay
meeheehee

what sort of workouts? I wanna be able to show off muscles buried within muscles

David Pardy on YouTube
Old 07-14-2003, 07:39 AM   #5
Christopher
Administrator

Wow, we have a drummer doing it for the chicks!

No, but seriously...
Check out Virgil's Power Drumming Video. You'll understand how he got there. And yes, keeping fit and eating well has a LOT to do with it. It's a special vehicle of some sorts to get you where you want to be in your level of drumming.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:47 PM   #6
DavidPartay
meeheehee

So is it really basically from doing those exercises on the power drumming video?

mad! Those are the exercises that I work on for my endurance, power and speed around the kit . I really need to fix up my diet though, it's absolutely shocking!!!

I'm actually doing it because I don't wanna look scrawny... I look really unco on the drums and the way I see it is if I beef up a bit I won't look as silly .

Sad thing is though, I can only do the 4 hit and 2 hit (single handed) patterns at up to 170 on both hands, and I can only do the single hit patterns at like... 130 on my left hand and I think I can get to 170 doing them with my right hand. I have a lot of work to do, in fact I actually go through doing really slow double strokes (ie. starting slow and speeding up to as fast as I can go without them becoming uneven), some patterns out of "Stick Control" by George Stone (on both my hands and feet) and then I'll usually do the power drumming exercises.

Also, I do have a question - I find that when I'm doing those exercises I do actually tense up a bit. Is this normal? I'm usually alright with relaxing, like when I'm playing comfortably I can pretty much stay totally relaxed but when I'm actually working on my power I tense up more than usual.

I fully could not get over seeing the size of Virgil's muscles on the clinic part of the TUDW dvd.

David Pardy on YouTube
Old 07-15-2003, 01:10 AM   #7
jonberg

Send a message via MSN to jonberg
We have to remember that Virgil is over 40 years old and has played drums for a looong time, and doing the things he does for 30years or more, you probably get very fit and big muscles...he is extremely fit, just watching him do a 30min solo is like a marathonrace.

I heard that Virgil runs pretty much, and that´s understandable, playing doublestrokes at 200bpm and faster for 5-10minutes requires a lot of strenght
Old 07-15-2003, 02:43 AM   #8
jemmy

Besides, running is better than working out in the gym: not only are your muscles built for strength but also for speed (requires much faster reactions of the nervous system).

The same with Terry Bozzio: the guy is over 50 years old, but you'd give him no more than 30 (if even that), especially when you see him pounding the kit. His arm muscles are not as extreme as Virgil's, though...

Btw: is Virgil's left arm more muscular than his right (especially the biceps)? Maybe this is because of the traditional grip?
jemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:20 PM   #9
DavidPartay
meeheehee

I have been meaning to start going for a run every morning but I just get too tired and it's winter and I simply couldn't be bothered, hehe.

But once summer starts and the sun comes up early enough, I'll be able to wake up easier and go for a run .

And yes, I'm pretty sure his left arm is chunkier than his right arm - it takes a lot more effort to hit the way he does playing traditional than matched.

David Pardy on YouTube
Old 07-21-2003, 03:26 AM   #10
Me.2

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidPartay
I have been meaning to start going for a run every morning but I just get too tired and it's winter and I simply couldn't be bothered, hehe.

But once summer starts and the sun comes up early enough, I'll be able to wake up easier and go for a run .

But thats exactly IT david.

Its ALL about DISCIPLINE....that means you've GOT to be bothered, It means getting up when you DONT WANT TO and.... running in the rain and snow. Thats why virgil is where he is,....he does it.

If you REALLY wanted the muscles....you'd be running hail wind or snow.

Virgil has discipline....it must be done whether he feels like it or, the cart aint going to drag itself. He wants what he want BAD !!!

That Goal aint going to be reached without ACTION. Yep, staying in bed is nice and cosy NOW but your goal if you have one is going to take longer..... if not forever if you stay in bed. Peace.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:47 PM   #11
Fat Mike

Yes, i remember Virgil say when he still lived in Melbourne, he used to run and train with a few of the Collingwood football players. So trully to be the amazing drummer he is, he has to be physically at his peak all the time. otherwise, his body would not appreciate what he pulls off in rehersal/on stage.
At times we become ignorant, like how some people watch Formula 1 drivers and say that it's easy...utter bull****! The drivers spend hours a day in the gym targeting specific muscles to keep them strong (such as the neck and upper body), they run, they mountain climb, the ride their bikes, they walk, they box...walk their dogs, whatever. Only a small amount of time is spent on the glitz and glamour that most people think rules their lives.
Same goes for any drummer that is trying to always push the limits on their instrument, their diet is an essential part of how well they will perform. Anyone knows that if your diet is Jim Beam and cocaine, you will not be playing the kinda stuff virg does.
Discipline is the only way you will get on that track, and then with the hard work behind the kit you will see the results!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:53 PM   #12
Me.2

err....Models clambering to get in your underwear, a monthly fat cheque...a home in monte carlo living a lavish lifestyle and any ferrari or mercedi you want (if you drive for them).

Thats also an incentive to get up for work too Mike,....a bit of jogging dont seem so bad now,....right where are me trainers.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:20 PM   #13
jimi

Well i'd say the most reward he gets is satisfaction out of drumming, with all the discipline, where would he find the time to entertain those models and splash out with the hefty paycheques??

Then again maybe he could jog to her house with expensive wine then jog back home and sit on his Ferrari to rest, and then go for a swim in his own indoor pool

Last edited by jimi : 07-22-2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:35 PM   #14
kirk

LOL! guys that is some funny stuff. I am sure Virgil likes making a good living but I definitely do not think Money is by no means his Priority, as Jimi says it is his musical accomplishments for sure. He probably would use the advanced material the Ferrari is made out of, to come up with A NEW! ground breaking cymbal line for Sabian, I would not be surprised the way his mind is always working to move forward and create something fresh and new.

Regards Kirk
Old 07-23-2003, 02:03 AM   #15
Me.2

Oop's NO!

Mike had mentioned formula 1. Thats why i posted all those material things and as to why you'd go jogging each morning if you were a formula 1 driver.

Those incentives would make you want to jog.