Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
daad9000

Question Where do you practice in the Los Angeles area?

Hi,

Just wanted to ask you fellow drummers for advice or an idea for where I can practice!
I used to live in the Portland area where I rented a house with a basement, so, I had no issues with practice and such. Around here itís a little different, so, I would greatly appreciate some suggestions and if you can tell me what you do.

Thank you in advance,

Doug

(Where do you practice in the Los Angeles area?)

Last edited by daad9000 : 06-27-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Drum Dog

Hey Doug,
I live downtown, but I have a lockout space at ABC rehearsal studios in North Hollywood (it's off Varna & Sherman off of the 170). It's the best place I could find at the time. So far I'm happy with it. Clean, secure, 24 hour access. I had a hard time finding a place, so when I looked at this one, I snagged it.

P.S. Welcome to the board!
Old 06-30-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
electrizer

andi thought that it's much easier in the US...

1) you can find a studio where you can store your kit and book hours during the day to practice. the minus of that is that every time you have to set your kit up from the beginning and at the end put it back to your storage place. unless you find a studio that you can rent and store your kit there.

2) set up your kit in the flat/apartament whatever, and put drum and cymbal silencers

3) rent a place in a remote location where you won't disturb anyone

personally i think the 2nd option would work best. why? because you'd have your instrument at hand and you'd be able to practice when you WANT, not when you HAVE TO. i used to practice in a studio and whenever i had a day off from work i'd go there and practice for a couple of hours although sometimes i relly didn't feel like practising. i had to force myself. when you have a kit in your place you can practice whenever you want to, or if you come up with a nice rhythmical figure you can try it out straight away simply by going to another room. and i know that with silencers the sound is ****, however i believe that in drums motions count which you have to develop, by hitting the right instrument at the right time even if you don't hear a nice sound. that's my opinion.
electrizer is offline   Reply With Quote