Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
Fede

YouTube video and the secret to double bass drumming

Happy new year everyone!
And special greetings to Jeppe (Morgenthaler), with whom I shared New Year's Eve!

I have once and for all found the secret key to great double bass speed!!

And it is......(drumroll....bass or otherwise).....practice!

I've relearned this lesson over the last 2 weeks. I've just gotten a new rehearsal space which is not located far away from my home, for the first time in about 6 years. Which means I've been able to practice daily (on average - some days not, other days twice) and for the last 2 weeks I've practiced double bass persistently.

In just 2 weeks I went from the valley I've been in where I could play only up to about ~150 BPM (16th, ofcourse) consistently, to playing 170-180 pretty consistently (see video) and 200-210 when really warm. And it keeps getting better at a really great pace.

Last time I could play 170-210 consistently was about 6 years ago when....I had a rehearsal space not for from home, and was practicing consistently....seems like there's a pattern emerging.

Anyway, somebody in here asked me about an old video I made a long time ago, which I haven't got anymore, but I just made this one 2 days ago. Just me messing around on the kit. Edited highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_addkkTZds

Last edited by Fede : 01-01-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
DerNeue

I like the grooving, the passion and of course the consistency of your playing! Great motivation for the new year! Thanks!

Go on with your fine work. Are you playing in a band?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
CarpathiasRise

wow! very nice! mind telling what exactly you were practicing and for how long? also, do you use moon gel or anything? your drums sound excellent!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
morgenthaler
Administrator

Fede, what a great surprise it was to see you there yesterday. Rigtig hyggelig aften, synes jeg.
Great playing on these clips, man.
Happy new year!!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
mgray

Send a message via AIM to mgray
really nice playing. i like that first section a lot. you have a nice style, and choice of grooves. keep it up!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Fonzydrum

Send a message via MSN to Fonzydrum
Exactly: your groove, your sound and your perseverance are admirable
Old 01-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
yyzke

Nice playing on a great sounding kit!!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Matthias

Nice!! Great drumming, love it! Very clean and tight! What cymbals are you using? (especially the trashy sounding ones)
Old 01-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
D. Slam

Send a message via AIM to D. Slam
Fede,

Really nice playing, my brother... The sound of your drums are the way drums should sound, open, clean and free! You move very relaxed behind the kit... You make it look very easy and I know that it's not. Very insprational!

Keep swingin, man.

D.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
alencore
Drum Therapist

very nice...............

Last edited by alencore : 01-02-2007 at 09:43 AM.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Drumcanman

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede
Happy new year everyone!
And special greetings to Jeppe (Morgenthaler), with whom I shared New Year's Eve!

I have once and for all found the secret key to great double bass speed!!

And it is......(drumroll....bass or otherwise).....practice!

I've relearned this lesson over the last 2 weeks. I've just gotten a new rehearsal space which is not located far away from my home, for the first time in about 6 years. Which means I've been able to practice daily (on average - some days not, other days twice) and for the last 2 weeks I've practiced double bass persistently.

In just 2 weeks I went from the valley I've been in where I could play only up to about ~150 BPM (16th, ofcourse) consistently, to playing 170-180 pretty consistently (see video) and 200-210 when really warm. And it keeps getting better at a really great pace.

Last time I could play 170-210 consistently was about 6 years ago when....I had a rehearsal space not for from home, and was practicing consistently....seems like there's a pattern emerging.

Anyway, somebody in here asked me about an old video I made a long time ago, which I haven't got anymore, but I just made this one 2 days ago. Just me messing around on the kit. Edited highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_addkkTZds

Fede
Nice Job its always great to see drummers achieve a breakthrough.
Your drums sound great as well and some nice playing to boot.
keep it up
Tim
Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #12
nevesis

Send a message via AIM to nevesis
Awesome clip dude! Can you give a detailed description of your recording setup?
nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:50 AM   #13
Fede

Thank you all.

The drum/cymbal-setup can be seen in it's entirety in the description with the clip.

The recording was done using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 26io interface with 8 analog inputs with preamps. To this was an added Joe Meek TwinQ preamp with converters connected to the S/P-DIF input of the Focusrite. This preamp handled the overheads, and was set to "IRON"-mode.

The mics are:

Kick: Audix D6 (though I'm not completely satisfied with the sound I got in this case - placement was not done right and the room gave an awful bassdrum sound in the overheads which is mudding it up a bit. What I'm trying to say is that the D6 is better than this)

Snare: Shure Beta57

Toms: Audix 2 x D2 and 2 x D4. The 8" is miked with a Shure SM58 as I'd forgotten the last D2 at home.

Overheads (which really provide most of the snares and much of the toms): KEL Audio HM-1.

Recorded into Steinberg Nuendo and mixed using mostly Universal Audio UAD-1 plugins.

The sound was mangled quite a bit by YouTube, so I've just uploaded a WMV-version here:

www.blackburst.dk/drums2006.wmv

....sounds MUCH better. In stereo, for starters.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
DrumsAreGood

Nice very entertaining and sounded great! Love the max stax.

I had a NY resolution for double bass been doing it every day. Started off going great but now in my fifth day my lower legs are sore and I can't really manage anything haha 16th right now only comfortable up to 120. Weird.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
IronCobraMan

fukin tasty playing ... im guessing ur a fan of haake/colaiuta