Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
ilee

Career Drumming; Practicality

Greetings all. Don't let the title of this post mislead you. Obviously drumming as a career is practical. What I want to do is talk about my personal situation and how drumming plays into it. I think this is a good place to pick some brains because we're all drummers here. That said, heres my situation.

I started drumming at the age of 15. I learned fast and showed a good deal of potential. I took some lessons and played in a few bands in my small town over the years but never really dedicated myself as much as I could have.

After basically wasting 4-5 years partying and not practicing the drums anymore I decided to let my dream of being a pro drummer fall to the way side and I joined the army at the age of 25.

Now that my enlistment is almost over, I'm really hungry to begin lessons and practicing again. Drumming is my passion and I would love to make it the focus of my life.

My question to you is this; I'm 27 years old. I'm an average drummer. I have the potential to develope my ability to a professional level. Do you think its "too late" for me to really make drumming a career? What would you do in my shoes? Should I consider seeking a formal education with my limited reading abilities? Thanks for reading this if you've read thus far, any feedback is appreciated.

Oh one more thing, does anyone know of any drummers out there that started late but are doing well for themselves with drumming? Its just disheartening to look at how good some of the kids are and think they are so far ahead of me. lol
Old 07-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Wankmaster Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilee
Greetings all. Don't let the title of this post mislead you. Obviously drumming as a career is practical. What I want to do is talk about my personal situation and how drumming plays into it. I think this is a good place to pick some brains because we're all drummers here. That said, heres my situation.

I started drumming at the age of 15. I learned fast and showed a good deal of potential. I took some lessons and played in a few bands in my small town over the years but never really dedicated myself as much as I could have.

After basically wasting 4-5 years partying and not practicing the drums anymore I decided to let my dream of being a pro drummer fall to the way side and I joined the army at the age of 25.

Now that my enlistment is almost over, I'm really hungry to begin lessons and practicing again. Drumming is my passion and I would love to make it the focus of my life.

My question to you is this; I'm 27 years old. I'm an average drummer. I have the potential to develope my ability to a professional level. Do you think its "too late" for me to really make drumming a career? What would you do in my shoes? Should I consider seeking a formal education with my limited reading abilities? Thanks for reading this if you've read thus far, any feedback is appreciated.

Oh one more thing, does anyone know of any drummers out there that started late but are doing well for themselves with drumming? Its just disheartening to look at how good some of the kids are and think they are so far ahead of me. lol

Well first off, I think you should alway follow a path with heart. If drumming is what gets you moving then do it. But if you're looking to just "make it" then I don't see the point. You shouldn't be looking for name and fame, you should just look to become the best drummer you can be. Second, I don't think its too late to make a carrer for yourself as a drummer and it is good that you have played drums before. Don't be discouraged by the young good drummers, do it because drumming is fun not because you want to show how much better you can be than somebody.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

lars ulrich

Last edited by MaltBuddow3 : 05-21-2012 at 10:18 AM.
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
mathcore

Let's say you find a good teacher, you study and practice hard, you improve a lot, and you just want to keep drumming the rest of your life but you "don't make it a career" (as I understand it, at least make a descent living with it). If drumming is really your passion, WHO CARES!!!, you still be drumming.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
it's NEVER too late to start. especially for something like drumming..or music in general.

john myung, the bassist of dream theater, didn't start playing bass until he was 14.
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
Wankmaster Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdreignsuponus1
it's NEVER too late to start. especially for something like drumming..or music in general.

john myung, the bassist of dream theater, didn't start playing bass until he was 14.

I hear he practices for really long periods of time, like if you see him on one of the DT DVDs on the tour bus you see him practicing, that is dedication right there.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
electrizer

Jim Chapin started when he was 18! man, i'll be 22 in 2 weeks and I have the same plans as you. passion matters, if you want to be happy and do not feel in 40 years time that you wasted your life - go for it and we're with you
electrizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #8
Matthias

I think I was 15 when I started drumming, and I wasn't very disciplined. Passionate yes, but never practicing for multiple hours.

I'm 23 now and I have plans to get pro too. I'm on the way I'd say. Two more years of music school and I'll have a degree (which doesn't make me a better drummer though), and then the journey will start, so to speak.

Try it!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrizer
Jim Chapin started when he was 18! man, i'll be 22 in 2 weeks and I have the same plans as you. passion matters, if you want to be happy and do not feel in 40 years time that you wasted your life - go for it and we're with you

really? chapin started at 18? wow, i'll be 18 in 5 months.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
TimeConsumer

I once read somewhere akira jimbo STARTED playing the drums when he was 22 or 23, he's a pro now. I think ANYONE can get ANYWHERE if they just give themselves hard enough for this passion.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
electrizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdreignsuponus1
really? chapin started at 18? wow, i'll be 18 in 5 months.

yep, Famularo and Jim himself told that on several occasions.
electrizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #12
mathcore

I bought my first kit at 18-19, and I'm not close to be as good as any of those guys, but I don't regret it at all.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
ilee

These replies were so moving. Every single one. Thank you so much guys. What a warm welcome to these forums. I can't begin to describe how much I needed to hear these things. =)
Old 07-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
Wankmaster Joe

No problem brother, this is like a brotherhood of man, and there is always support(except maybe when you want to QUIT drumming).

Last edited by Wankmaster Joe : 07-05-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #15
vdreignsuponus1

that's why this forum is so great. it's had it's ups and downs (mostly ups) but all in all, i myself am really proud to be apart such a great forum, amoungst great members, not to mention that it's virgil donati's forum that is so awesome!