Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2003, 10:39 AM   #1
quitou

Dave Dicenso

Hey guys,
this fella was brought to my attention by reading the message board at HOD....you should definitely check him out, he's great:

http://www.davedicenso.com

I know Peter is very impressed with his playing given the comments he has made over at HOD.....if you head over to the message board at:

http://www.houseofdrumming.com

there are a few other audio and video clips of this guy playing under the Dave Dicenso thread....Great Player!!!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
kirk

Yes Dave is a GREAT player, he needs more exposure for sure.
I was fortunate enough to hear him a few years ago, and was impressed. Great technique, good feel and very musical. A nice combination.

Kirk
Old 12-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
peter

Echo, Kirk.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:39 AM   #4
seanstrelecki

what type of stuff does he play? what kind of drummer?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:52 AM   #5
kirk

Dave is a very diverse drummer but alot of what he is doing falls under the fusion category, some would be prog rock but he plays with a real R&Bish funky underpinning. Nice feel and musical drummer but he definitely like to show off his chops when he solo's.

Kirk
Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 AM   #6
quitou

From the clips I've heard, he's got a pretty insane groove as well....check out his web site, there are a whole bunch of audio clips of some drum solos and also audio tracks he has recorded.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
Hip Alien

Dave is unreal, i saw him live with TWO TON SHOE, and was literally blown away. For anyone that never heard him, check out the 'Two Ton Shoe'- Figures cd for some beautiful r 'N' b grooves, KIRK described him perfectly a couple of posts ago, before me.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:46 AM   #8
quitou

I just picked up a copy of Hiromi's "another mind" cd with dave dicenso playing drums....I've only listenned a little bit of it so far, but it is great!!!! Dave's drumming is awesome.....the guy is crazy and yet incredibly musical at the same time....And Hiromi, my goodness can she ever play the piano....If the first couple songs are any indication, this cd is just pure intensity, but really cool and musical sounding intensity (it's kinda like fusion music, or contemporary jazz)....I'll listen to the rest of it and let you guys know what I think.....but, I can tell you right now, I know I'm gonna really enjoy it!!!!
Old 12-14-2003, 09:03 PM   #9
Mack N Drum

Great player. He's a little too "Weckl" at times for his own good, but he does have a great touch and feel. This reminds me, once again, of just how many great players there are out there that don't get the exposure they deserve. Meanwhile, we have to put up with the Portnoy's and Beauford's...
Old 12-15-2003, 04:21 AM   #10
jagdkommando

Wow ... cool drummer, who can really play different styles. Sounds very very fluent ... I like that.
I'm glad that you guys always find new drummers that extend our knowledge and drum solo database ;-)
Old 12-15-2003, 05:39 AM   #11
kirk

Yeah, when I heard Dave D the first time there was too much Dave W and Vinnie influence that was too obvious but still a Great Player indeed. Not my favorite, but I like his drumming Very much.

Kirk
Old 12-15-2003, 06:20 AM   #12
peter

The only thing I didn't like in the
videos I saw is a needless wav-
ing of the hands. A twirl or any-
thing else would be more effect-
ive for me. Still - the final output
is very effective.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:16 PM   #13
quitou

If anybody is interested, check out:

http://www.themikerolleband.com/DrumClinicRecap.html

it's just a recap from a clinic Dave did....it has a write up and some pictures, and even a few short (and quite bad quality) videos....quality aside, he still does some cool stuff in some of the short clips....
Old 12-25-2003, 05:43 PM   #14
Ekim

If you want to hear some great music, buy Jon Finn's "Don't Be So Serious". Great stuff! Awesome drum parts, great performances by everyone in the band. It's some of the most versatile stuffis around in the "player's world" of music. The follow up "Wicked" is really good, too.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:38 PM   #15
Fede

Quote:
Originally posted by Hip Alien
Dave is unreal, i saw him live with TWO TON SHOE, and was literally blown away.

literally ?!!?? You mean you flew through the air and cracked your skull open upon impact with the wall at the back of the room?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Try to visualize being literally blown away by seeing a drummer...

He sounds phenomenal. I have just ordered the Hiromi album and Two Ton Shoe - "Resoled" (contains just about the same tracks as "Figures", same recordings....)