Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
Smirnoff

Unhappy Iron Cobra twin pedal link problem... Any ideas?

Anyone ever had to replace that middle bar on your double pedals due to ball joints getting flimsy and creating some nasty play between strokes? My left pedal is definitely starting to get less fluidity in its movement comparing to my right. When my DWs started doing that I replaced them with Iron Cobras. But I don't feel like buying a whole new set of pedals. Do you think I should replace that middle link bar, or do you have any ideas how to remedy this situation?
Old 12-07-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

I'm sure the problem is just in energy loss while the motion is transferring from the pedal through the messed up link to the beater, so I'd try to get a new link. Loose parts are gonna take up some of the energy you put into it. Naturally, if you dont have a DW 9000 or an Axis or something like that which are made with zero loss of energy, you're gonna have some difference in the pedals, it may be a tiny difference that you dont even notice, in their top condition.
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 04:34 PM   #3
Smirnoff

Well, I used to have a DW5000. That was before 9000 came out. What is the difference? And I tried an Axis pedal about 7-8 years ago and didn't like the feel.

I am thinking if I AM gonna get a new pedal, I will probably try the Eliminators next. Although I liked the way my Iron Cobras felt when I first got 'em!
Old 12-07-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
peter

The 9000 is a lot like the Axis but
you should try the new Axis', with
the "Variable Drive Levers". Then,
try the Yamaha Flying Dragons.

For the money, the Eliminator is
the best pedal out there.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:21 PM   #5
alencore
Drum Therapist

try venturing to the nearest machine shop and have them machine craft new ball joints. or try looking at any hardware store for new ball joints. kinda hard to find but who knows you might be lucky to find pairs or two. that's what i did on my very first custom made double pedals. try get some new bearings as well.

when practicing hard on double bassin' stuff i prefer using my 6 piece drum pad kit which has two single pedals in a real double bass configuration obviously. you know it helps prolonging the life span of our very expensive gears by not duking at them all the time.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:49 PM   #6
Smirnoff

Talking

Thanks for your help, guys!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:51 AM   #7
peter

Smirnoff,

Where in Chicago?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:17 AM   #8
Smirnoff

Talking Where in Chicago

Plainfield (SW burbs)...

But I also used to live in Hoffman Estates, and before that in Rogers Park in the city (Devon&Western), which was not too far from Evanston! Chi-town baby YEAH!!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:24 PM   #9
cobra

Oh those ball joints on DW double pedals... I have to replace them with new ones every 8-10 months on my 5000's and now my 9000 started to have this problem- luckily i'm a friend of one DW dealer otherwise I'd be bankrupt...