Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
jimi

Sabian Quiet Tone Sound Offs and Cymbal Mutes

What do you guys think of these? I got some recently because of problems with the many neighbours in my estate. I really like them and found that they are improving and promoting power for me on the kit because to hear something from them you really have to pound the pads.

The bass drum one doesnt sit tight enough against the batter head for me, but it does its job all the same (being the main culprit of my neighbours wrath towards me)

Virgil is even pictured with the accessories around him and those of you might remember that the picture Vivian used on the Shadrane site includes a photo of Virgil from that photoshoot also.

Check them out!

http://www.sabian.com/page.php?subs...&8#Cymbal_Start
Old 12-05-2003, 02:01 PM   #2
quitou

I have some mutes, not the Sabian ones, but from a different company....I can't even remember the name of the company I've had them for so long.....I like them for sure....the good thing about them is that you can actually practice quietly on a drum set as opposed to just having to play on a pad (more realistic practing on a drum set).....I also have the same problem as you Jimi with the bass drum one, which makes it really hard to bounce off the head, but regardless it's better than nothing.....and like you said, it keeps everyone in the house and all your neighbors happy
Old 12-05-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
jimi

do you have mutes for the cymbals too?

and i wonder is there a more satisfactory mute for a bass drum out there, maybe one that goes on the inside of the batter??
Old 12-05-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
bootdogs

jimi, I actually use the "Pearl Muffle Head", though I dont know if they are still on the market. I also use them on this acoustic kit that I have lying around for practice. They really do the job very well. They cut down the noise by 90%. They have one for the bassdrum and that one REALLY REALLY cuts it out all by having the 'feeling' of a bassdrum.

You should ask your local store about Pearl Muffle Heads. Apparently they went off the market because Roland had the rights on the material or something. I could be totally wrong.

Have at it!
Old 12-05-2003, 04:07 PM   #5
quitou

ya I've got some cymbal mutes aswell.....i have one that you put inside the hihat so that you can step on it and it won't make that much noise, and there is also a little pad you put on top of the HH so that you can play rhythms on it as well...I also have a mute for the ride and for one crash cymbal.....those are basically like a little pad that you put on top of the cymbals....and you hit the pad and the cymbals don't make that much noise.....well, the crash is actually still kinda noisy, but the sound is very muffled and the sound lasts for a very short period of time.....the ride is quiet with the mute on it though....
Old 12-06-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
jimi

@bootdogs: i must check that! maybe@pearldrums.com?

@quitou: yeah, i ordered the cymbal mutes but they didnt come in my order, so i will be getting them soon, I dont mind too much if they only work a bit, its just way too imbalanced to have the pads on the toms and then come onto an unmuted cymbal!