Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Miscellaneous > Comments
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
stefan_vortex

Thumbs down I cant play doubles at 200bpm.

yup, yesterday i tried and i really couldnt.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
hemi

Tell us more:
What pedals?
What kind of spring pressure are you using?
How do you feel on your throne when playing? Balanced-unbalanced?
Are you using shoes or sox?
Tell us as much as you can. There's some really good players here, just need a little more info

Can you play slower than 200 OK?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
stefan_vortex

i can play the triangle. i am very skilled.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
toteman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan_vortex
yup, yesterday i tried and i really couldnt.

LOL. Don't feel bad, not many people can. IMO, I see no point to playing doulbes unless you're getting excellent clarity, and excellent volume out of them like Virgil does.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
hemi

Most drummers use triggers, from death metal to rock n roll. From single bass players to doubles. Does anyone know of a death metal drummer that plays at those speeds and dont? I once heard an interview with Peter Criss who is a pocket drummer to the core and hits hard with one foot, he stated he only knew a handful of professional band drummers that didn't use them. He does. How about Derek Roddy. I could list them forever. I'm also not saying there's no place for non triggered drums. That's how I have played for as long as I can remember, Im just now getting into the trigger stuff. And for single or double bass I like them.
I've heard some say doubles aren't important, why in the world would someone not consider that important. Virgil is a pocket drummer as well as an advanced drummer, if Virgil or any other drummer plays them, they must have some importance. I guess if all you want to be is a pocket drummer that's your choice and it's not a bad one, but god gave you four limbs for a reason, use them and grow in your playing. Expand your horizons to learn. Start reading posts here, there's some really good ones.
Dont give up and be a quitter, you have the desire, follow it. The satisfaction once you get it is incredible and only drives you to do better and better with much practice. Good luck Stefan
Old 02-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
stefan_vortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi
Most drummers use triggers, from death metal to rock n roll. From single bass players to doubles. Does anyone know of a death metal drummer that plays at those speeds and dont? I once heard an interview with Peter Criss who is a pocket drummer to the core and hits hard with one foot, he stated he only knew a handful of professional band drummers that didn't use them. He does. How about Derek Roddy. I could list them forever. I'm also not saying there's no place for non triggered drums. That's how I have played for as long as I can remember, Im just now getting into the trigger stuff. And for single or double bass I like them.
I've heard some say doubles aren't important, why in the world would someone not consider that important. Virgil is a pocket drummer as well as an advanced drummer, if Virgil or any other drummer plays them, they must have some importance. I guess if all you want to be is a pocket drummer that's your choice and it's not a bad one, but god gave you four limbs for a reason, use them and grow in your playing. Expand your horizons to learn. Start reading posts here, there's some really good ones.
Dont give up and be a quitter, you have the desire, follow it. The satisfaction once you get it is incredible and only drives you to do better and better with much practice. Good luck Stefan

maaaan! im sorry for leaving u the wrong impression of what i meant-i started this thread just because no one has written anything in here for a long time i dont have problem with my doubles-in fact some 3-4 weeks ago my double stroke roll with feet was faster and tighter than with hands cause i switched offically to traditional grip and although i ve been playing trad for a year now,i had to practice A LOT before reaching some endurance and control...however thanks for being so kind-this is one of the reasons i like this forum-cause there are so many nice guys like u
Take care!