Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
justbrandon

ok video time

Ok so i made a little video of what im working on, working on floating and keeping the beeters off the head when i play double bass. I used to just let it mash into the head and leave it there when playing my singles and triplets, etc, so now im working on completely floating. after my accident where i tore my calves i realized a lot of things, and learned a lot of things and things i was doing wrong and watned to correct. i completely ****ed my technique so now im wokring on getting it back, but just doing it with floating too, which adds more.

its about 3 minutes long, and i try and explain some things, the sound and video quality suck, but its from my digital camera. if you have any tips, or anything from watching it or advice, or anything, then let me know.

thanks

the video is here:

http://www.texasisonfire.com/drumming/floatingv1.avi

its an avi file.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:24 AM   #2
DD_Timekeeper

Hi justbrandon,
the file doesn't work for me... can you please check?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
justbrandon

actually yeah i realized the damn server was full, so i am uploading it to youtube and will post the link tomorrow
Old 02-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
justbrandon

ok sorry about that here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/?v=U6zgnUIXLEE
Old 02-01-2006, 03:07 AM   #5
DD_Timekeeper

Ok, just seen the video... nice work, it's similar to the technique explained by Steve Smith in his last video... you should see it...

And... one thing: why do you move the fingers of your left foot? I think you could save this movement... and energy!
Old 02-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
justbrandon

haha you mean my toes? i have no idea, at all why they do that, im trying to figure it out myself and i wasnt sure if i was seeing things or if that was what i was just doing.

ill have to work on it, and btw i have the steve smith video which is one of the reason i started working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Timekeeper
Ok, just seen the video... nice work, it's similar to the technique explained by Steve Smith in his last video... you should see it...

And... one thing: why do you move the fingers of your left foot? I think you could save this movement... and energy!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
DD_Timekeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrandon
haha you mean my toes? i have no idea, at all why they do that, im trying to figure it out myself and i wasnt sure if i was seeing things or if that was what i was just doing.

ill have to work on it, and btw i have the steve smith video which is one of the reason i started working on it.

Yes... my poor english dictionary... toes... excuse me!
Oh well, I've recognised the Smith movement, so it means you're doing it well!

And... what happened to your calves?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
justbrandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Timekeeper
Yes... my poor english dictionary... toes... excuse me!
Oh well, I've recognised the Smith movement, so it means you're doing it well!

And... what happened to your calves?

I went out tour with my old band back in july of 05, towards the end of the tour i tore them, but we still had a couple more shows so it just got worse. then when we got back we had to record our full length, in all that time and then the time after playing shows and my calves never properly healing, i ruined my technique and everything. so after i quit my band about a month and a half ago i decided i really need to get serious about getting my technique back, etc, i had worked on it before, but i wanted the proper and then i came accross steve smith and floating and all of that, so ive been working on that, its developing, just slowly
Old 02-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #9
The Ghillie

Whoooa! Back to the issue at hand

I feel your pain. For me, the biggest prob I had was balance. I always use one foot or the other to keep my balance on the throne. I think if you nail that, you'll have more freedom on your feet. I suggest this...

1. Scoot back on your throne or move the throne futher away from your pedals so your knee is just behind the footboard. I think my knee is just above my ankle.
Top view

2. Place the BALL of your foot (the hard part just below your toes) on the spot of your pedal that is the fulcrum. Back to far, and the pedal has no control and feels heavy. To close and the pedal feels real sensitive and take a lot of work.
Side view

3. Practice. Every try Double Bass pedal book by Joe Franco??

For me it's just letting the wieght of the pedal do the work, and I use as little energy to control it as possiable. When I play, I flex my foot at my ankle, my leg is not involved.

here's my crappy video! Can't see anything to well but just watch the foot action and beater motion.
movie

A time away

Last edited by The Ghillie : 02-04-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #10
mathcore

I've never played in socks or barefeet, but I'll try to do it at least once to check if I move my toes like I just saw on your video. Another thing I noticed is that I probably set my IC's a little to far away from each other. I'll try to check Smith's video as well.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
justbrandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcore
I've never played in socks or barefeet, but I'll try to do it at least once to check if I move my toes like I just saw on your video. Another thing I noticed is that I probably set my IC's a little to far away from each other. I'll try to check Smith's video as well.

yeah haha i realized why i was getting that second sort of stroke, it was my toes, i only do it on my left foot for god knows what reason, so that said im working on getting them to stay put.

and ill try to scoot back and such and see how that feels too.

thanks everyone for the help so far!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
The Ghillie

Barefeet

You know dude, I thought to myself when I frist started to play out, hmmm what kind of shoe could I buy, so that I could have it for every time I played? Heavy shoes or boots make a unresponsive heavy feel. Light shoes are better, but there is no sensitivity. In all, How could I make sure that I have them with me all the time? I have way to much junk to carry as it is. Then it hit me. Socks. I always have socks on. A lot of sensitivity and control while keeping my tootsies warm. Boom, there ya go. I kick hard and the chicks love it when I walk around in my socks. More than that. I take my spongebob slippers and where them... lotsa girls!
Old 02-07-2006, 03:03 AM   #13
filus

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE SPONGEBOB!!!

what a great idea..i think i'll get a Taz pair!

btw i usually play with my shox, they're perfect i think
Old 02-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
justbrandon

yeah i always have and always will play with my sox, i cant play any other way that feels right.