Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
RLRRLRLL!!

extreme independence...anyone?

HI GUYS!!!...sorry to bother you again with my questions...but a friend of mine bought me marco minnemann's extreme drumming for my birthday...and i'm actually thinkin' about goin' trhu this book, as i was checkin' it out a couple of days..and it seems really really interesting...it has material to work trhu for about 5 years or so!!!..hahaha...AS ANYONE STUDIED THIS BOOK??...IS IT A GOOD BOOK TO PRACTICE??...I'm a really big fan of the new breeds...i really like independence and interdependence stuff....should i work on it???...sorry, i know probably there's some other post nearby with the same topic, i'm not sure, i'll search anyway,,
But does anyone knows this book's insights??...i'm really lookin' forward to play it...thanks alot., you people inspire me!!..all this dedication to your crafts...boy, i wish i was as good as some of you are!! cheers!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
bateria

The book's basic idea is to train your limbs to play all sorts of different patterns over each other, building your independence. While many of the patterns and layers sound really cool, they are not designed to actually give you musical ideas, but rather to just work your independence. The end goal is to be able to play any combination of patterns with 4 limbs--while no book can give you that, working with Marco's book will give you a big push in that direction. Just practice it all, play with good solid clean strokes (otherwise you develop "practice room chops") and use a metronome if possible.

This is NOT one of those books where the effect is an immediate "cool! look what I just learned!" The independence will take time to develop, so be patient.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Kinetic drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLRRLRLL!!
HI GUYS!!!...sorry to bother you again with my questions...but a friend of mine bought me marco minnemann's extreme drumming for my birthday...and i'm actually thinkin' about goin' trhu this book, as i was checkin' it out a couple of days..and it seems really really interesting...it has material to work trhu for about 5 years or so!!!..hahaha...AS ANYONE STUDIED THIS BOOK??...IS IT A GOOD BOOK TO PRACTICE??...I'm a really big fan of the new breeds...i really like independence and interdependence stuff....should i work on it???...sorry, i know probably there's some other post nearby with the same topic, i'm not sure, i'll search anyway,,
But does anyone knows this book's insights??...i'm really lookin' forward to play it...thanks alot., you people inspire me!!..all this dedication to your crafts...boy, i wish i was as good as some of you are!! cheers!!!

i came with a couple of ideas from that book, althought i havent finished it yet. the thing is.. since its not musical, try to apply marco´s ideas intoyour own playing musically, theres when the book really helps, otherwise, the book gets boring. it has thousands of ostinatos though!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:49 AM   #4
farazrahman

whts the difference between independance and interdependance? should i go for manginis rhythm knowledge or minnemanns extreme interdependance?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:07 AM   #5
Tommy G.

This is definitely a fun book. I am also a big fan of the New Breed books and I picked up the Extreme book 3 years ago after I finished the New Breed I and II. I have to tell you have a lot more than 5 years of work in here. Each "set" of 12 systems played with each melody element takes about 12 months to finish. i am on set number 3, number 3A right now. Of course this is on top of everything else you should be practicing, too. I need a 48 hour day! The way I practice these is to first get the combination slow and precise - then I start cranking up the metronome until I reach my speed limit, then finally try to play all of the melody elements strung together and move the limbs around the kit. It is alot of fun! Patience and dedication!!

Last edited by Tommy G. : 01-29-2006 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
bdub

You could check out my book at www.bryanwest.com/books.htm to see if you are interested in my method.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:02 AM   #7
Kinetic drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub
You could check out my book at www.bryanwest.com/books.htm to see if you are interested in my method.

cool! i saw this book in modern drummer!!, cool you´re a member of the forum!
i hope i can get all those books in a few months!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
bdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic drummer
cool! i saw this book in modern drummer!!, cool you´re a member of the forum!
i hope i can get all those books in a few months!

Thank You Kinetic drummer!!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Dom Aversano

Sound dead interesting might have to check it out.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #10
av8rmarc

I am working through Marco's book right now as well, it is fantastic...although I take it in 15 minute intervals a couple times throughout the day as it does get a little repetitive as some of the other guys were noting. If you approach it without the idea of getting through it quickly it will definitely build your independence in some sick and unseemly ways. Also, make a concerted effort to get on different sound sources all the time to avoid some of the repetition duldrums.

Last edited by av8rmarc : 02-03-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
mathcore

I'll be getting Marco's dvd soon. Is it the same content that in the book or just some examples of it?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #12
Piercing_Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcore
I'll be getting Marco's dvd soon. Is it the same content that in the book or just some examples of it?

If you're talking about the Extreme Interdependence DVD there are only a few examples of the book. Most of it is of Marco's music with drum solos, and it kind of flows like a drum clinic; he touches on a few things like stick tricks, patterns, groove, technique etc. There's ALOT of stuff on it though, and it's a double sided disc. I watch it all the time.