Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
electrizer

did Virgil go to music school?

i wonder if, besides all drum teachers, he went to a music school, music college or university or whatever. any clues?
electrizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
ataraxia

I'm no expert, there are people who know far more than me about his career. But I don't think he went to a Berklee/Collective style college. Was the place he studied with **** Grove called a school? I think it was, but was that just a name, or was it a school type set up?
ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #3
electrizer

i would like to know your opinion on one more matter guys. for some time i've been thinking about going to UK (i'm from Poland) in order to earn some money and go to a drum school or a college in order simply to play well, to develop myself and, finally, making my bread and butter of it. don't get me wrong, i don not want to drum to earn. I want to EARN TO DRUM because lately i've understood that this is what i love and what I would like to do for the rest of my life. i believe that if you do something constantly and with passion you can, at the end, do it for the rest of your life witout worrying about money. maybe i'm wrong, too idealistic. what's your opinion? thanks in advance
Old 12-29-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
morgenthaler
Administrator

Virgil had no formal training per se but he had a few teachers along the way.
I did a short bio on him here:
http://drummerworld.com/drummers/Virgil_Donati.html

From that you will learn that he has had a few teachers along the way, but never for longer periods of time. Basically he is autodidact.

About the desire to make a living of it...work hard for a number of years, and make sure that you play in a number of different settings, and you'll have a fair chance of some succes. Virgil had been recording albums and doing livework for more than 15 years before braking through internationally, so you really have to feed your patience!!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
electrizer

thx any other ideas? please.