Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
VeNoM

New kit suggestion.

Hey every one hows it going? Good here. I've been wanting to get a new kit for some time now and am still having question and debates on what I want. I own a Pacific 7 piece now CX series but would like to get a better sounding kit. Do you all think I should get a new Pacific kit but one of the more expensive sets or maybe a different one? Not to sure what is worth while though I'm so bad with this stiff lol. Any suggestion would be geatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
bateria

Are you looking at upper mid range, or all out top of the line? Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, Sonor, DW, Mapex....all the big names make great drums at the mid to upper level (I haven't heard a whole lot about Pacific). You have to decide which has the sound, appearance, options, and price for your tastes. Do you live near any drum shops that might deal in high end kits?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
TC_Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNoM
Hey every one hows it going? Good here. I've been wanting to get a new kit for some time now and am still having question and debates on what I want. I own a Pacific 7 piece now CX series but would like to get a better sounding kit. Do you all think I should get a new Pacific kit but one of the more expensive sets or maybe a different one? Not to sure what is worth while though I'm so bad with this stiff lol. Any suggestion would be geatly appreciated.

As with anything you purchase, you'll want more bang for the buck. All the "known" manufacturers make decent drums. But each manufacturer specializes in certain drums and hardware. You have to first consider what shell you want; that will definitely "narrow the list down." Beech, Birch, Mohogany, Maple... the woods tend to determine the price range!!! Hardware is especially important too. For example, Yamaha YESS mounts are tom mounts that DON'T penetrate the inside of the tom, keeping the tom almost air-tight and solid. Research is key... I suggest starting here as a reference:

http://www.drumdojo.com/kit/equipment.htm

Good luck with your search!!!