Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Kinetic drummer

mangini

hi guys, i was just wondering...
does mangini have a special technique of his own? or just wrist movements? since he is the fastest drummer on earth, does he use moeller? i dont think so, but i also dont know. if someone in here who knows manginis technique. how the heck do you workout to get this...
what would be more suitable for playing, moeller or jusat wrist. i just saw jojo mayer new clips at drummerworld.com, and mannnnn that moeller is fast!
well. hope you guys could help me in this one!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
mathcore

Jojo's videos are sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. On Mangini's fastest hand video it doesn't look like moeller at all. Not sure about his regular playing though
Old 12-08-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Sillyman

Well when he came to Michigan 3 years ago he told one of my friends that works at the local music store that was hosting the clinic that he practices singles stroke rolls with no sticks ,i mean just with his hands ,and he goes as fast as he can get for long periods of time .Mangini says that his wrist losens faster like that and that you put a really killer work out doing that ,so i guess that's one of his secrets to get to the speed he's at right now.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
mathcore

Now that you mention that he's got WFD record for single stroke with bare hands as well.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
C.J.

Would you know if he practices that as if he was holding the stix in his hands or if he works out his wrists as if he was playing a djumbe or something like that?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
toteman2

His technique is called "I was born with a gift, so good luck trying to catch up to my speed"...
Old 12-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
GreenPremier

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Would you know if he practices that as if he was holding the stix in his hands or if he works out his wrists as if he was playing a djumbe or something like that?

He plays like he's playing bongos or congas, and just flies. He does have a special technique, he keeps the gap between the index finger and thumb open at all times and uses a full out wrist motion, not moeller unless he wants to. I saw him in clinic a fews years ago as well and it was quite amazing that he could just play that fast with out any up and down arm movement, completely from the wrists.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
Kinetic drummer

damn! so guys, whatd o you actually use? moeller or your hands'?????
ok...
ill start to practice barehands!!! iŽdunno how to play percussion, just timbales!
Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #9
GreenPremier

I use a wrist/finger combo, I feel it is the best way to achieve speed with power.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
Footsoldier88

I dig those 14" moongel pads for a nice workout...for extra insanity, use the Corpsmaster (white) drum sticks
Old 12-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #11
GreenPremier

Sounds painful, but helpful. There has been debate as to whether bigger/heavier sticks actually do help you or not...I personally just like to practice with the stick I'll be playing with so that I don't get used to a different feel.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #12
Footsoldier88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPremier
Sounds painful, but helpful. There has been debate as to whether bigger/heavier sticks actually do help you or not...I personally just like to practice with the stick I'll be playing with so that I don't get used to a different feel.

I hear ya and that's a good point. However, as with powerlifting and other sports training, the important factor to remember is periodization...I find that changing the weight of the stick can improve speed because it gives the muscles and tendons a different feeling and can cause them to adapt and become stronger - can't beat science lol. I know everybody is different and there are so many ways of approaching it just like in sports and other activities. Trial and error often dispels any myths as well.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #13
Kinetic drummer

i was told, mangini studied wrist and arm anatomy just to know how muscles work, have you heard this one?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
IronCobraMan

imagine if his name was Mike Mangina?

\|/
Old 12-09-2005, 12:05 PM   #15
johngregson

OK, I just choked on my coffee reading that. Cheers, ICM!