Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
TheJollyMan707

Bonham

Hey guys quick question,

does anyone know the sticking/footing in the really fast (triplets I think they are) bonham does in this solo ( bout half way through) h does them in bursts sorta if that makes sense.

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/JohnBonham2.html

Also does anyone know what kind of snare he is using and if that or something very close is available today and how much it would run for? The sound of that snare is killer, awesome sound on the ghost notes and an amazing rimshot.

Thanks alot
Old 11-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
bateria

Those are his trademark triplets...some variation of L-R-foot (foot-L-R, R-L-foot), etc. He might be leading with the left hand, at least that is one way of doing it. With the left on the downbeat, it lets you come back to the snare on the beat that he does. Just play around with the triplet lick and you'll get it.

And the snare was a ludwig supraphonic 6.5 by 14 I believe. You can still get them.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
drummaman1

supraphonic snare, 6.5x14 - chrome plated brass. Ludwig makes it still, with the original lugs, or with tube lugs, which a friend of mine had in school, it looked and sounded great.

as for the triplet beat...he definitely popularized it. I think he leads with the foot usually, trying to remember Moby **** from Song Remains...actually, no. He lead with his left or right. I guess its my mind playing tricks on me. Try it leading with each hand and then the foot. Stick to the one that sounds like Bonham's, but it all works any way you start it. Make sure that the triplets are EVEN.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:02 AM   #4
pcannon

Two words; JEFF OLCHELTREE
Old 12-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
pcannon

Jeff Olcheltree was Bonhams drum tech, and has a video out detailing all the questions about Bohams drums,sound tuning methods etc.......I had the pleasure of working with Jeff on the Paiste "spirit of 2002" snare drums and kits. One of the most awe inspiring people I've ever met. Unbelievable amounts of drum/drumming knowledge!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
yyzke

Jeff Olcheltree - didn't he make Danny Carey's Paiste kit ? I think he had something to do w/ it. Is that the same thing as the 'spirit of 2002' kits ??
Old 12-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #7
pcannon

That's it! They were all made from all the 2002 broken chinas that have been sent back to Paiste over the years.
Here's a funny story, Jeff hands me the first snare built to try out at my gig that nite, I use it for the first set and it sounds UNREAL, then I get a bit paranoid about this snare on break and send it home w/girl friend since it's starting to attract attention.

So, to make a long (boring) story short, I return the drum the next day to Jeff and he shows me the badge that they just made for that snare. It reads in a circle pattern " Paiste spirit of 2002" then right in the center of the badge it says~CARL PALMER!! I almost pooped myself!!

The first kit was built for Carl, the second for Danny. Now the drums and rims are completely SOLID brass. I'm amazed they figured out a way to suspend the rack toms being that they are SUPER heavy! The bass drums are so heavy once there put together, I could not lift it myself!

Now heres where Jeff really shines, I've never seen anything like this before. Jeff takes two new heads (batter & front) puts them on with no hole in the front head and no dampening inside, Then proceeds to crank the batter head tight and front head loose. Now from my experiance that should sound like poo..................I could not believe my ears & eyes!!! THE best sounding kick I've EVER heard! It was DEEP/lots of LOWS/ great SNAP/ everything you would want! Now how that happens with that tuning, with that drum is WAY beyond me! That's how Bonham got those sounds!!

Last edited by pcannon : 12-02-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
PoorButGood

Um drummaman, Bonham didn't 'popularize' it. People like Elvin Jones used to do it on records such as Coltrane's A Love Supreme.