Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
dayle0326

Unhappy i need help!!! PLease

i've been playing double bas for about 6 months and still i have had no luck with speed, could someone tell me a technique for speed?
that woulld be great
Thanks!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
VeNoM

Ok, where to begin. First off man 6 months isnt long at all for doubls about 2 years to 4 is what it will take to be a wiz on it. Second, get yourself a metronome and climb that for as long as you play you will see inprovements probably in the first month. Third, Go read some of Demigod's posts thoose really have alot of information about speed on any part of the drum. Good luck man
Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
ShadowDrummer

Hey dude,

Double-bass is tricky, not usually because of your technique, but because of your bass pedal.

Make sure to loosen the tension on your beaters, first off. When I was first learning double-kick, I thought that the tighter the tension was, the more response I'd get out of the bass pedals. problem was, I had to work harder. My legs got tired quicker, and to begin with, the increased tension made me have to work to actually hit the beater.

Also, try angling your beaters so that they're not as far back as they are. It'll feel a little awkward at first, because the combination of lesser tension, and lesser angle will make it almost TOO easy to hit the drum. That's when you have to learn to slow down a little and concentrate on keeping good time. But it's a LOT easier to play with looser pedals, than really tight ones.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
ShadowDrummer

Oh, and by the way, double-kick doesn't take very long if you do it right. It doesn't take 2-4 years, trust me!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
VeNoM

Just saying it does take time to get every aspect of it down but what ever works
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
dayle0326

Thanks , iguues ill just have to keep practicing.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
VeNoM

If we got you all freakin out about time and **** im sorry man. Ok on the front page of tips and tecniques there are 2 threads you should read all of. Got to Demigod's 2 pages. How do I become great and just wanted to say thanks and goodbye. Id read those for all there worth their full of tips and usefull info. Good luck
Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
ShadowDrummer

Yeah double kick is like the higher plateau of drumming. I don't give a damn what anyone sez'. I won't even sit down to play a kit in the music store if there's a single kick there. It's just...ahhhh, not the same!!

But yes Venom i get what you were saying. It's kind of like learning all the ins-and-outs of double kick that takes a while. I agree with you there. For me, I started with the basic double-kick, then got faster. As time went on, I started alternating between odd time signatures, and that's where all the fun came from. That, yes, did take a few years!
Old 11-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #9
Blastman

All i want to say is that you should pay slightly more attention to your weaker foot when playing double-bass.

If you find your single stroke rolls are becoming uneven when you reach your threshold BPM-wise then it's usually IMO your weaker foot, not playing as well as your strong foot, and getting out of time.

I would recommend this exercise [it's probably been posted before]:
With a metronome:

1) Play "strong-foot" 8th-notes for 1 bar,
2) Play "weak-foot" 8th notes for one bar,
3) Play alternating 16th notes for 1 bar [leading with strong-foot].

[Make sure you lengthen the number of bars you play to develope endurance]

This will teach you a number of things:
1) How much slower your weak foot is compared to your stonger foot - therefore telling you how much more time probably needs to be spent on your weaker foot.
2) An even single-stroke roll!!!

Last edited by Blastman : 11-24-2005 at 05:16 PM.