Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #1
cjcdrums

Favorite stickings for fast fills or chops

I thought this might be a nice educational thread (educational for me!)...

I'm talking about stuff like paradiddle-diddles, swiss triplets or blushda's.... Just little snare licks that sound good and are easy to play up to speed.

A few cool stickings I've been playing with recently:

RLLRRL -Cool variation of the paradiddle-diddle. Sounds very smooth up to speed (when I do it )
RLLRLRRL -Sounds great as a groove when you divide your limbs differently, like between kick & snare, or hi-hat & snare, or snare & tom

What are some unique stickings you like to shred with?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:49 AM   #2
pcannon

Here's a freaky thing I've been doing. I use the PROGRESSIVE STEPS TO SYNCOPATION FOR THE MODERN DRUMMER, but, what I do is to take the book and physically turn the book UPSIDE DOWN, now the snare tab is double bass tab! It reads fine, and you'll come up with some NEW FRESH routines for sure. Check out pages 16/24. TAADAA!!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:08 AM   #3
percusski

There's some great stuff for the hands in Joe Morello's Master Studies, check out the mixed triplets and 8ths accents page, apply to the kit then start substituting some of the hand notes for foot notes etc.
Also with your paradiddle-diddle take the pattern voiced around kit and permutate it so you can play each example within grooves. Also try doubling up your singles within the rudiment i.e. rr ll R R L L etc. There are no limits really.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
C.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcannon
Here's a freaky thing I've been doing. I use the PROGRESSIVE STEPS TO SYNCOPATION FOR THE MODERN DRUMMER, but, what I do is to take the book and physically turn the book UPSIDE DOWN, now the snare tab is double bass tab! It reads fine, and you'll come up with some NEW FRESH routines for sure. Check out pages 16/24. TAADAA!!!!

LoL, fun idea!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
Trencherman

Here are some of my favourite "chops" tricks!!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
cjcdrums

Aww, man! You're giving me the old 5 stroke roll variations and double stroke rolls!? (though I already use that last one a lot, and it sounds great)

I KNOW you've got some goodies in your bag of tricks, Trench! Don't be selfish!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
Kinetic drummer

i use paraddidlle diddle a lot! but im a rudimental guy, i do lots of orchestrations and thats it! i think that charleys wilcoxon book, is amazing for developing your ideas and apply the rudiments.
i would like to share a paradiddle orchestration i use.

as you know.. the basic stickin is R L R R L R L L
OK...

the first stroke goes to the floor tom and the second stroke to snare. its very important NOT to accent the first two notes, (even if the paraddiddle is like that) the next two strokes with the right hand goes to the ride cymbal, now accenting this notes! of course you can add the bass drum with the cymbal.

ok thats the firs part of the paradiddle no the L R L L part is missing..

the orchestration of this is much simpler.

the first stroke with the left hand goes accented this time now with hi hats (closed sounds cool) and now, the second stroke goes to florr tom and the "L L " GOES GO snare
its a cool effect... cuz you hear three strokes with cymbalsm and its hard to do it fast, cuz you do three strokes with your right foot, supporting the accents!

cool! thats it!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
C.J.

Hey Jesus, it's been a while. How come you left us for some time?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:09 PM   #9
bateria

Hmm...some cool things that you can do with hand-foot combos is to turn them into odd groupings. Example, with a simple 5 piece kit, play steady 16ths, two notes on each drum in the following order: snare, rack 1, rack 2, floor, bass. Repeat, and you have a cool flowing quintuplet figure. Experiment with throwing them into fills in 4/4 time (but making sure you find a way to come back out on the beat!).

The RLLRRL sticking you posted is a 6 stroke roll if I'm not mistaken. I love that one...its beauty is that you can swap RLL and RRL components in just about any combination, which lets you hit accents on cymbals/drums on any part of the beat (almost) while keeping a flowing snare roll going. Here is a simple example:

(R)LLRR(L)RRL(R)LLRR(L)RRL(R)LLRR(L)....notes in () are cymbal/bass drum accents. Play around with it.

There are all these other Vinnie-esque licks that I want to share but they are very organic and flowing and there's no real way to notate them. I really want to get a recording setup, maybe I'll do that one of these years...
Old 11-18-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
stefan_vortex

mm damn i ve just deleted some pdfs from jeff queen's the next level-LOTS of patterns really...i use many paradiddles between ride, hihat and toms-something i 've been 'inspired' by Mark Zonder from Fates Warning-it is really cool to experiment with paradiddles over odd meters...a good idea is to play the most used paradiddles- rlrr lrll, rllr lrrl, rrlr llrl, rr ll, as triplets, quintuplets and ahh i dont know how it is called in english - groups of seven, nine, for example rlrrl rllrl rrlrl lrlrr if u have stone's stick control u can play the patterns this way
Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
cjcdrums

*runs off to drumset*

Thanks guys! This thread is turning out pretty good!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
Kinetic drummer

hey cj, ive touring my native mexico with my band kinetic,nothing big really, but ive been absent from home, so, im unable to read the posts , but im here now!!!!!

and yes, this is a very cool post!!! take off your bag of tricks, cant wait for nevesis, ironcobra and all those guys to post their stuff!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #13
cjcdrums

Yeah, I have a feeling a lot of you guys are taking notes but keeping their mouths shut in this thread!

'Tis the season, guys! Whatcha got?

By the way, here's a great one I figured out the other day. L R L F L R L F. Left hand alternates between hi-hat and snare (ghosting on snare), and right hand hits hard alternating between toms and snare. Start both hands on snare, then move hands in alternating between their sound sources.

Essentially it's just doing linear singles between your right hand and foot, and filling in 16ths with your left hand moving to and from the hi-hat. It sounds great up to speed.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #14
GreenPremier

A "lick" I do sometimes is sextuplets between the hands and feet (R and L are hands; r and l are feet) RLRlrlRLRlrlRLRlrl it's fun and sounds cool at fast tempos. I've also done the RLLRRL one too, I can play that faster than I can play a normal paradiddle-diddle, and it has a distinct sound which is cool too.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #15
bateria

Oh, and this lick is sick: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/aaronspears1.html

Aaron Spears is an amazing drummer to watch for really funky, chop-filled jaw-dropping fills. That clip is not even a fraction of what he can do.