Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Sillyman

Exclamation Who in the world invented the heel toe technique???

OK ,this one might go to Tim or anybody that knows a lot about drumming history.I was just wondering since there's a lot controversy about this technique who or when and where this this technique was created or invented .The only two guys that really know about this technique that come to my mind are Tim Waterson and Joe Stronsick .So i think that everybody that is trying to sell that technique studied with either guy . But i just want to know who was the responsible or the one with the credit who really invented it and put it in use for the firs time.It seems that nobody has popularized that technique like the guys i just mentioned.May be i'm wrong but just like to know the history to discover the myth behind it .Anybody is more than welcome to answer.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
TimeConsumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyman
OK ,this one might go to Tim or anybody that knows a lot about drumming history.I was just wondering since there's a lot controversy about this technique who or when and where this this technique was created or invented .The only two guys that really know about this technique that come to my mind are Tim Waterson and Joe Stronsick .So i think that everybody that is trying to sell that technique studied with either guy . But i just want to know who was the responsible or the one with the credit who really invented it and put it in use for the firs time.It seems that nobody has popularized that technique like the guys i just mentioned.May be i'm wrong but just like to know the history to discover the myth behind it .Anybody is more than welcome to answer.

I invented it, but then Tim Waterson comes over, steals it from me and makes it all popular and stuff! ..Rrrm, just kidding.
However, the technique I use with my right foot (selfeducated, yes) looks a LOT like the heel-toe-technique, so I guess anyone could've invented it really ..
Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
bateria

I bet it was some jazz drummer back in the 30s-40s.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
KarnEvil

Joe Stronsick did.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
roxz

Joe stronsick says a lot of things
Old 11-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
ataraxia

i reckon steven adler invented it. i heard he also invented the cowbell and the flam.
ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
Sillyman

But yeah i think Joe might have created it because nobody has given the technique too much enphasize,but who knows may be we ask God and He'll be able to tell us!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
Josh989

Al Gore invented the flam... and the inverted flam tap.. by accident
Old 11-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
GreenPremier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyman
But yeah i think Joe might have created it because nobody has given the technique too much enphasize,but who knows may be we ask God and He'll be able to tell us!!!

Yeah...God...haha good luck with that response..
Old 11-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
KarnEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh989
Al Gore invented the flam... and the inverted flam tap.. by accident

He also invented the internet.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
drummaman1

Back in Vaudeville days, before any of us even existed, Tap dancing was the big thing. The drum set was also in its infancy, when they were still calling it a 'trap set'. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that some drummers wanting to play more than just military style, ended up a part of the dance bands, playing for plenty of acts, including tap dancers. The drummer most likely noticed the ryhthms coming from the tap dancers feet, including heel-toe,and incorporated that into his playing. It was the de facto double pedal of the day. Even the hi-hat we all know and love wasn't even invented yet.

Also, when you boil it all down, 'heel-toe' is the way we walk.
Try this sometime; when you're walking, try out walking toe-heel. Pretty awkward. Unless we're walking backwards.

The heel-toe technique on the foot pedal is not REALLY a heel stroke, meaning that we don't actually use our heel to play a standard foot pedal. The stroke we make with our foot looks more like a controlled double stroke with our hands (bring the stick down, 'snap' the stick up with the fingers towards the palm). Is it essentially the same on our feet. The Steve Smith DVD explains this more thoroughly; check it out, so I don't misquote or confuse you.

Of the most legendary drummers that use(d) heel-toe all the time in their playing, includes the late Buddy Rich, the late Tony Williams, and the very much alive, living legend, Steve Gadd. The common thing between them? They were all TAP DANCERS when they were younger. Go figure.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #12
Raphsta

I use TOE-HEEL for quick double strokes (not db stroke rolls).

drummaman, I see what you're saying about try walking "toe-heel", good point but just because we don't work a certain way doesn't mean it won't transale to the BD pedal.. it may be unnatural to walk that way, but it sure don't feel unnatural on a BD pedal for me.. although i've never tried walking toe-heel with iron cobras strapped to my feet

Maybe I should look more into heel-toe instead of toe-heel, but toe-heel just feels a lot more natural to me - although I haven't really tried heel-toe..

Last edited by Raphsta : 11-20-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:28 AM   #13
Sillyman

Ohh , i get it now that's why Joe does the heel toe he used to be a tap dancer too when he was younger. Ohh God answer my question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:29 AM   #14
Sillyman

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
DavidPartay
meeheehee

Send a message via MSN to DavidPartay
Will you go away?

David Pardy on YouTube
DavidPartay is offline   Reply With Quote