User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Denny

carpet vs solid suface

I have been playing on carpet for a while now with my kit and the thing
is I was wondering if I put a peice of plywood under my kit and used a super
thin drum mat would it help in my double bass drumming and all around being on a solid surface,have you guys noticed a diff..I went to a drum audition where I set my kit up on cement and the carpet was super thin and it felt kinda strange to be on a solid suface.....what's everyone's preference?
thanks Denny
Old 11-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Jameson

I don't think playing on a thinner surface would affect your double bass very much, if at all.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
mgray

Send a message via AIM to mgray
carpet all the way man....i have my drumset in the basement, and for a while, it was just on the bare concrete. it sucked...the thing was sliding all over the place, but years ago, i got a carpet, and its been so much better...the thing doesn't move an inch, and i actually think it makes the bass drum sound better.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Denny

cool

Thanks alot guys for the reply's
Denny
Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
PoorButGood

I prefer carpet.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
roxz

If your drum is not sliding,than it's good. Carpet or whatever..
Old 11-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
IronCobraMan

denny...

i went thru a faze that looks similar to yours...analyzing everything ...carpets...angles...etc etc etc.... but while your doing all of this....ur forgetting whats most important...actually playing....spend less time on small details...and spend more time developing ur drum muscles.... play to a burn everyday....develop ur drum muscles as if u were working out.... even if ur not playing evenly...keep pushing till u cant push no more.... u have to exhaust ur muscles everyday....and that way they will build and u will gain alot more control than a carpet will give u
Old 11-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
cjcdrums

ICM, that made me think of something...

Have you ever worked out? Well you know how you never work the same muscle groups two days in a row but you give them time to recouperate?

That is the method I've been using recently with my hands and feet, switching workouts every other day, and I'm coming along nicely with it.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
IronCobraMan

thats a good point...that i brought up to a friend of mine...and he answered this:

marathon runners go running everyday...legs can take it...upper body cant .... ur legs are ment to always be in use...so for feet...go everyday
Old 11-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #10
cjcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobraMan
thats a good point...that i brought up to a friend of mine...and he answered this:

marathon runners go running everyday...legs can take it...upper body cant .... ur legs are ment to always be in use...so for feet...go everyday

But here's the thing: marathon runners don't do any sprinting. I seriously doubt sprinters work their muscles hard every day. You can't destroy all that tissue and expect it to regrow stronger in less than a day...

Maybe if you were training to play 120 bpm for 10 hours straight, you should play every day, but not if you are trying to push your top speed.

The thing that makes me wonder is how do you progress so fast if you push hard every day? I wish I could talk to some sort of doctor about this stuff.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #11
IronCobraMan

well....its also ur human construct... ive always had alot of type 2 muscles... i used to always be able to twitch really fast.... but playing slow was my problem...thats what i had to develop....

remember when i first came on here talking about playing at 350 bpm ? well what i was doing at that time is i had my metronome set to 175 bpm and i would go double time on it... my twitch muscles would go on over drive...for like 2-3 seconds :P ...
i guess ive jus gotten used to abusing my muscles day after day...ur body is programmed to get used to watever u give it