Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Ken Kaniff

Mike Mangini's clinic in Poland

Last night I went to Mike Mangini's clinic in Wroclaw, Poland. Man, a totally jaw dropping experience. I had the best spot ever, two meters from Mike's kit.

Apart from being a true wizzard, Mike is such a cool and down to earth guy. He had the time to sign autographs and take pictures with everyone. When everyone was done we talked for twenty minutes and I got all my questions answered, from pedal settings to his new set up. Truly awesome.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
ataraxia

out of all of the clinicians i've seen, i'd say mike is probably the most fun by a long way. when i saw him he talked for ages, which i liked a lot. some really interesting stuff. also him playing along to fire garden suite was just incredible.
ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Ken Kaniff

He played it last night too. Great.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
mathcore

Hey Ken, great experience, just having the chance to talk drums with one of the best must have been truly great. Can you give us a detailed review of what he did at that clinic, THX!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
cjcdrums

Yeah, I second that^ question.

What stuff did he talk about? Any knowledge you could pass on?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Ken Kaniff

I'll post a more detailed description tomorrow, unfortunately I'm too busy today. But I have a few pictures for you. You can see how close I was.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
mathcore

Great view man, you are very lucky indeed
Old 10-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
Ken Kaniff

Really quickly, one question I asked Mike was about his Eliminator settings. He uses red cams and stripes. Why stripes? He likes them, that's it. He said they aren't any better or worse than chains, no philosophy to it.

As for the spring tension, he has them lose as they get. He said that if he was a death metal drummer and needed ultra fast tempos, he'd probably have them a lot tighter. But he has to play jazz, rock, metal, funk, r'n'b, name it, and the setting he has is good for any kind of music. To demonstrate he played some stuff with brushes.

Why twin pedal instead of two kicks? It's faster to set up and easier to get a consistent sound, even in a poor sounding club. Even though with two separate kicks he "can probably play a bit faster" he likes his twin pedal.

That's the scoop of the kick drum questions I had.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #9
scott h

One of the things i like about Mike is that he counts every single note that he plays. I just love that extremely rigorous mind of his.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:20 AM   #10
Ken Kaniff

Yeah, and in clinics he counts, mouthing them visibly for the audience to know where he is. Really cool.