Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
TheJollyMan707

A request for ICM

Hey ICM,

Your videos are great. Hilarious and a really good showcase of your ability and the technique you use, thanks.

I was wondering though, although you dont know me, as a personal favor (I think it might help others out too), can you spare a few minutes of your busy sched, and post a video of double bass singles going from slow say like 140 and just speeding up to 250 or however fast your are now, cause I'd like to see your feet as they speed up and what exactly happens, cause I feel like I'm forcing from my hips and not my ankles and I'm gettin alotta pain. I gotta stand up walk around and then sit back down. Also in the video can you show how tight or loose your spring tension is?

Ok I know people are gonna people well this is ICM's technique and his pedal settings find your own eveyone is different, but just for information sake (and the humour) I'd like to see how someone else does it. I saw your latest video of 270/280 and I just wanna see how your feet change in motion as they speed up.

Thanks alot really appreciate it
Old 10-10-2005, 05:19 AM   #2
alencore
Drum Therapist

forget speed and learn the rosanna beat and you'll get laid a lot lifetime guaranteed.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:05 AM   #3
electrizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJollyMan707
Hey ICM,

Your videos are great. Hilarious and a really good showcase of your ability and the technique you use, thanks.

can you spare a few minutes of your busy sched,

that's what i call bootlicking
electrizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
bateria

Quote:
Originally Posted by alencore
forget speed and learn the rosanna beat and you'll get laid a lot lifetime guaranteed.

Funny you mention that...I have turned 10x more heads with that beat than all of my chops combined!! (I am not a speed demon like ICM but I do have a good bag of tricks)
Old 10-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
mathcore

Porcaro is an ugly dude but he became famous & got laid thanks to that beat, so Alencore knows waht he's talking about.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
IronCobraMan

here's me slowing down and speeding up singles on my cobras on a matress....

i dunno if u can see whats going on but basically the faster i go the tighter my ankle movement gets...thats the best way of decribing it... its not tension...jus tightness...if that makes sense

http://rapidshare.de/files/6130864/...d_0037.wmv.html
Old 10-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
cjcdrums

God I hate rapidshare...

Downloading now. Full page review, coming up!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
cjcdrums

Good content... mediocre quality... lackluster production...

I give it 2 busted drumheads out of 5.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #9
nevesis

Send a message via AIM to nevesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobraMan
here's me slowing down and speeding up singles on my cobras on a matress....

i dunno if u can see whats going on but basically the faster i go the tighter my ankle movement gets...thats the best way of decribing it... its not tension...jus tightness...if that makes sense

http://rapidshare.de/files/6130864/...d_0037.wmv.html

There was absolutely no sound in that video. Is it just me?

Very impressive double bass playing against your mattress. I wonder what you sound like on a drum?
nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:09 PM   #10
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcdrums
Good content... mediocre quality... lackluster production...

I give it 2 busted drumheads out of 5.

I give it a 1 rubber pad out of 10 rubber pads.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
IronCobraMan

u gotta really turn up ur speakers... my mic settings were really low...thats why the sound is so low.... turn it up ull hear it
Old 10-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #12
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobraMan
u gotta really turn up ur speakers... my mic settings were really low...thats why the sound is so low.... turn it up ull hear it

I had everything turned up as loud as it could go. The signal is so low you can hardly hear anything.

Good try though...
Old 10-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #13
TheJollyMan707

thanks alot thats exactly what I was looking for.

Your pedals are tensioned really loose right? Are they as loose as possible or in the middle somewhere? Why do you like this better than tight, I know alot of fast double bassers prefer tight tensions for the rebound (especially axis players). Also have you tried the blue cams on your eliminators? What did you think of the offset versus round cams? I see you have the round cams on your cobras and you have talked about how much you love the black cams. I really like the black cams as well but I"ve switched to blue for sometime, feels lighter to me but none of that speeding up as it comes to the head stuff.

thanks again
Old 10-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #14
IronCobraMan

thanks nevesis oh great lord of drumming ...

ah jolly... ive had light tension since i bought the pedals... i jus got used to it.... which in my opinion builds a much stronger ankle than tight springs....when ur springs are tight , the tension is doing the work...when its ultra lose...u gotta do all the work... on the cobras and on the eliminators....my tension is all the way lose...where only 3 spirals of the spring are seen coming out of the bottom.... id jus say...stick to what ur used to

as for cams.... i tried em all...black was my favorit..gave me a nice uniform response.... my cobras are powerglides (blue cam) .... the white cams are also good but for some reason the black ones jus feel faster....dont be so concerned about ur tension ...be more concerned about the evenness between ur pedal settings....beater angle, footboard angle, footboard distance from ur throne...these things all come into play....get something u like...stick with it ...and start burning those muscles into shape....have fun with it

Last edited by IronCobraMan : 10-10-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:54 PM   #15
TheJollyMan707

oh yea what kinda difference do you feel between your chains on the cobras and straps on the eliminators?