Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
SwantonBomberX

About Bass Double Strokes

Well, I know this has been asked and discussed a lot around here but I'm pretty new at drums, and I don't have a damn clue how to start developing this technics. I have read all posts about the subject in here, so I know that there are many ways/technics concerning the use of the feet to develope a strong, even and fast double stroke. Could u please name them and the way u aproached to it...how did u start, what speed? How log did it take for u? Excersises...? I would really apreciate it.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
roxz

A double= rr ,double roll = rrllrrllrrllrrllrrllrrllrrllrrllrrll.....(=feet)

Start slow and controlled even strokes for hours and hours, buy a rudiment book for the snare and apply it to your basedrumming, work it through.

Buy a metronome and always practice with it, play along to cd's and get a few drumlessons. Buy a decent throne and decent drumpedals.

Now your wallet must be empty
Old 10-20-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
mathcore

I started a 60 bpm and it sounded AWFUL, but combining it with heel up, heel down, paraddidles, etc, has got me to a loud & solid 100 bpm, but I haven't experienced the "click" to bring up the speed so I still have a looooong way to go with this technique. Just be patient, 'cause I remember almost giving up at 1st, but now I'm happy with my progress.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Wankmaster Joe

I think he also wanted actual foot techniques for it too.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
marlos

***video doubles on bass drum***

Hi ! for a video on the double stroke motion take a look at the video section at http://www.edrums.gr/video.html. Plus take a look at the 6 groupings mini demonstration .Hope you will enjoy this !
Panos
Old 10-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
(K)now(F)orever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcore
I started a 60 bpm and it sounded AWFUL, but combining it with heel up, heel down, paraddidles, etc, has got me to a loud & solid 100 bpm, but I haven't experienced the "click" to bring up the speed so I still have a looooong way to go with this technique. Just be patient, 'cause I remember almost giving up at 1st, but now I'm happy with my progress.

Same here, I'm at like 120 tops on a good day, but I'm just taking it slow so each stoke sounds the same. It's kinda frustrating but I know some day hopefully in the near future I'll get'em. I think I'd have doubles better by now but b/c of school it cut down my practice time so I haven't been practicing half as much as I was, but now I'm gonna work less so I have more time to practice especially with my new Marco Minnemann x-hat and metrophones and new heads on the way.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
SwantonBomberX

Tim Waterson, could u help me on this one please, your answers are alway pretty well done. How much did it take for u to develope the technic? Hod did u do it...