Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
rolemodel81d

groovin'

hey can anyone still play a 4/4 groove at 80 bpm's?

kidding guys,dont kill me
Old 10-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
cjcdrums

*Sigh* I thought this thread was going to be some interesting insight on groove... not some weak attempt at sarcasm.

Way to go, dude.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
rolemodel81d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcdrums
*Sigh* I thought this thread was going to be some interesting insight on groove... not some weak attempt at sarcasm.

Way to go, dude.

actually i do have a serious question along with this...do you guys think as your double bass reaches into the stratusphere,you lose any ''feel'' to your playing,only asking because i struggle with it myself and my foot chops feel quite 'stale' though impressive to the ear,any thoughts? suggestions?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
cjcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolemodel81d
actually i do have a serious question along with this...do you guys think as your double bass reaches into the stratusphere,you lose any ''feel'' to your playing,only asking because i struggle with it myself and my foot chops feel quite 'stale' though impressive to the ear,any thoughts? suggestions?

Your practice determines your progress. If you never excersise your feel, it's never going to improve. Same with your chops, or anything else.

The notion that you somehow LOSE feel by practicing chops is rediculous. Chops are all about control, and gain control over your motions can only serve to improve your feel.

That said, once again it's all about what you practice. Don't expect to magically turn into Bernard Purdie if all you work on is double pedal chops.

What are YOUR priorities? Do you want blistering feet or do you want a certain feel, or what? It's entirely up to you to pick what is important to you and why.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:39 AM   #5
DD_Timekeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolemodel81d
hey can anyone still play a 4/4 groove at 80 bpm's?

kidding guys,dont kill me

well, I play 4/4 at 40 bpm in my basic practice routine

anyone else?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:51 AM   #6
Trencherman

^ Sounds good. I play 4/4 at 50bpm sometimes -- its good for your time and feel. Trench
Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
cjcdrums

Yeah, I do that too from time to time. It starts getting hard for me under about 60 bpm...
Old 10-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #8
DD_Timekeeper

well, it's when a thing gets harder that we start having fun, isn't it cjcdrums?

for example, I'm quite ok at 40 but still struggling with dbd singles over 180 bpm... slow improvement..., but I have patience... so what's the problem?

(P.S.: actually I'm sitting in my office chair, stomping with my feet on the ground, and my colleagues are thinking at a clear way to kill me )
Old 10-12-2005, 02:58 AM   #9
IronCobraMan

one thing i really wanna improve on more than my feel is my time.... i mean i have a pretty good ability to solo between odd meters.... but its always within the tempo, if u know what i mean? i wanna break thru the tempos while im soloing inside the meter and fall back in...virg does this stuff alot... i find it absolutly amazing...

anyone know what im talking about and what i can do to improve that?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:13 AM   #10
ataraxia

yesterday i had a good drum. i got rid of all toms except one floor tom, and concentrated on groove. it was nice for a change and really good fun. try it sometime.
ataraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:26 AM   #11
The_Setite

I practice lots of polyrhythmic ideas at VERY slow tempos. This gives great control and control contributes to "feel" (whatever that means to you). Have a concept of how you want to sound and work towards it. I love all that beat layering stuff so i work on it.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #12
stefan_vortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobraMan
one thing i really wanna improve on more than my feel is my time.... i mean i have a pretty good ability to solo between odd meters.... but its always within the tempo, if u know what i mean? i wanna break thru the tempos while im soloing inside the meter and fall back in...virg does this stuff alot... i find it absolutly amazing...

anyone know what im talking about and what i can do to improve that?

one of my fovourite stuff! well, I always start learning such 'break thrus' on my snare pad-just to train memory. so switch your metronome on a medium tempo (e.g.100bpm) and start playing 16ths counting each stroke 1234. to switch to faster tempo with triplets,accent 1 then 4 then 3 and 2 and so on.
its important to thik of the accents as downbeats-not sincops. by this way you re having those two counter beats meating aftert each 3 counts of One (if your metronome is clicking 4/4) after you have masered it skip the not-accented notes. you could do the same thing on your drum set using the bass drum(s) to play the 16ths and the hihat(ride) and snare to do the accents. u can try the same with accenting 1,2,3,4(5lets-slower tempo) or u can use 7s and so on...of course you could do the opposite thing-starting from groups of 3,5,7 so on and turn them to quadruplets. finally, its always good to write down the rhytmic pattern on paper so you not only imagine it but see it too. The V man ROCKS bye
stefan_vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:44 AM   #13
rolemodel81d

it is a great idea every now and then to strip your kit down to the bare,and i mean bare essentials and play groove at various tempos,no matter what kind of music you play,anything to break monotony,or just something different can realy add alot some times
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
IronCobraMan

a good way to develop ur groove is to play open handed..... then u get ur left thinking right and vice verca.... try snaring with ur right hand , it wont feel as comfortable on the snare as ur left....but if u work towards these things....ur feel will get alot better
Old 10-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #15
Trencherman

*WARNING* TOILET HUMOUR ALERT *WARNING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcdrums
It starts getting hard for me under about 60 bpm...

ROFLMAO

Sorry man...couldn't resist...

Trench