Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
C.J.

The music scene where you live.

Hi drumheads!

I do not remember a thread like this being done, so I'll just go for it....

What I'd like to know is, how is the music scene in your region/country/town. Whether it's hard to find a job/gigs/musicians or not, and what styles are easier to play out (example: "you can find a lot of funk bands out here and it's easy to join one and get gigs. But if you wann play metal you're not gonna go anywhere over here")

All the information you can give out on this subject is welcome. I know that some board members are very interested in moving abroad or to another region to maybe find a job, or just a nice place with their band where their projet can grow. Not to mention that I'm very interested by this subject!

So bring it on dudes!

Cheers,
me.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:08 AM   #2
TimeConsumer

Hmm... Our music scene must be one of the most PunkRock/Metal/Emo-friendly scene's around. Allmost everyone who pics up an instrument in this regio starts his band a few months later, and starts gigging a few months after they started their band However, there are a lot of musicians around, but it's still hard to find a few good ones I guess..
+ the possibility to get really "big" with the band is very limited as well I think, after all this is Belgium

Greets
Old 09-19-2005, 04:50 AM   #3
Trencherman

The music scene in my city is pretty easy to get on, and it's mostly punk/pop/folky stuff that you hear in pubs. There is almost NO jazz at all here, which is a pain, because that's what I want to play!!

Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, is a very good place to get gigs, but the standard of playing is very high. Then there's Glasgow, Scotland's biggest city, which is a haven for musicians because of it's recording and television studios. T
Old 09-19-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
johngregson

I've never been too impressed with the number of gigs in Edinburgh!
[having said that...Scofield with Peter Erskine coming to the Usher Hall in February...!]
But, the standard is amazing - you just have to go to Henry's for an example of that.

There's actually a pretty good hard rock scene down in Newcastle, by the way, but not as much jazz...
Old 09-19-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
Where is she

yeah its about the same thing that timeconsumer said.....all though in some of the cities around here like chattanooga,they have a freaking big hardcore/metalcore/and some emo scene....i love it lol
Old 09-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
TimeConsumer

@ Where is she:

So you're prolly in one of those bands to
Old 09-20-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
mont_man22

metal!!! New england hardcore and metal!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Where is she

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeConsumer
@ Where is she:

So you're prolly in one of those bands to

yes I am.More of a hardcore/metalcore deal though,never fooled with emo music.But Iv played longer then a few months lol same with the band.Iv been playing maybe for 6,7 years.Not really sure tell you the truth
Old 09-20-2005, 11:00 PM   #9
Funkifized

The music scene where I'm in flat-out SUCKS.

Everywhere you see, it's all wannabe emo kids. It's just EMO, EMO, EMO.... argh!!!

My theory is that this happens because most bands can't find a good singer, therefore they settle for a guy who can scream... which is basically everyone.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:27 AM   #10
IronCobraMan

montreal metal and core is the best in the scene right now... proud to have such good bands coming out of my home town !!! montreal keeps it real
Old 09-22-2005, 01:14 AM   #11
alencore
Drum Therapist

underground is still the best for us serious musicians here. jazz, metal, punk, ska etc etc. mainstream ...gohd just give me an m60 and a bazooka and i'll trash them all fuuucccking corporates ruinin and making ppl so unsophistacated.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:16 AM   #12
alencore
Drum Therapist

hey but i did saw a jazz band penetrating the mainstream TV shows so i think there is hope for us here.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #13
scott h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is she
yeah its about the same thing that timeconsumer said.....all though in some of the cities around here like chattanooga,they have a freaking big hardcore/metalcore/and some emo scene....i love it lol

I just can't associate metalcore music with the word "chatanooga"!! I just keep thinking of that song "pardon me boys, is that the chatanooga choo choo...". I guess the seen has changed in 60 odd years though