Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2005, 02:24 AM   #1
electrizer

a question to ICM

hi! i've seen several videos of you playing and my question to you concerns you practice routine connected with your feet. what excercises do you employ to develop such good single foot control? i've seen your video with playing 230 BPM for 3 mnutes and i would like to know how did you manage to develop this foot motion that is still my aim to achieve. BTW i really enjoyed watching these videos :P
electrizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
Blast_Duck

Shame about Rapidshare and proxys othewise i may have enjoyed the video too :-/
I saw Bostic do 230 for 1 minute but 3, ...oh well thats what u get with 2 hours practice a day :-P
Old 09-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
IronCobraMan

its impossible for me to tell u in words wat my motion is...noones motion is the same cuz noone is built the same...go practice ur ass off and ull develop ur own comfortable feel

ex:when i watch videos of derek roddy's technique, it looks totally rediculous to me, as does virgil's technique....but these guys produce clean powerful strokes....everyone has different approaches and its a matter of fine tuning ur own style....jus keep at it and push urself everyday...its no secret....put time in
Old 09-04-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
electrizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobraMan
its impossible for me to tell u in words wat my motion is...noones motion is the same cuz noone is built the same...go practice ur ass off and ull develop ur own comfortable feel

ex:when i watch videos of derek roddy's technique, it looks totally rediculous to me, as does virgil's technique....but these guys produce clean powerful strokes....everyone has different approaches and its a matter of fine tuning ur own style....jus keep at it and push urself everyday...its no secret....put time in

but you didn't answer my question actually I don't want to know what your foot motion looks like but I want to know what PARTICULAR EXCERCISES do you devote your time for during you practicing. thank you
Old 09-05-2005, 05:46 AM   #5
Blast_Duck

i know skip-rope is one...ICm will explain it better but i think essentially what one does is jump over the skipping rope using ankles only..pushing.i need to try this....im just getting into hardcore foot practice and i need to explore some good routes for flatfoot playing. any suggestions while we're on the topic of excercises?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
IronCobraMan

no...no skip rope involved in my routines.... lmao
Old 09-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
bateria

I don't think the exercises really matter. I think you just need to play double bass for hours every day like ICM did. If you push yourself, you will get results.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:59 PM   #8
electrizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateria
I don't think the exercises really matter. I think you just need to play double bass for hours every day like ICM did. If you push yourself, you will get results.

heh, i know your attitude towards discussing about types of excercises and methods. From my own experience i know that i would't see any results if I didn't change the repertoire of my excercises. Imho right and proper excercise can significantly improve the rate of gaining a new skill.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
Blast_Duck

Quote:
no...no skip rope involved in my routines.... lmao

lol sorry dude i got u mixed up with somebody else..silly of me really:-D
Old 09-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
bateria

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrizer
heh, i know your attitude towards discussing about types of excercises and methods. From my own experience i know that i would't see any results if I didn't change the repertoire of my excercises. Imho right and proper excercise can significantly improve the rate of gaining a new skill.

I may have misrepresented myself. I DO believe in intelligent practice, BUT I think we're tricking ourselves by looking for shortcuts too often. That's why I send the "just shut up and play" message, to be blunt. At this point I think it's more important that he log some serious practice time before thinking what exercises to do. When he's at 220 bpm and stuck, then he can start to think about what else to do. I can guarantee you that the fastest way to get to that point right now is to just sit down and burn those pedals consistently. Heck, he'll make up his own exercises along the way! Again, the message I'm sending is don't just copy the way someone did something, copy the EFFORT.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:45 PM   #11
cjcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bateria
I may have misrepresented myself. I DO believe in intelligent practice, BUT I think we're tricking ourselves by looking for shortcuts too often. That's why I send the "just shut up and play" message, to be blunt. At this point I think it's more important that he log some serious practice time before thinking what exercises to do. When he's at 220 bpm and stuck, then he can start to think about what else to do. I can guarantee you that the fastest way to get to that point right now is to just sit down and burn those pedals consistently. Heck, he'll make up his own exercises along the way! Again, the message I'm sending is don't just copy the way someone did something, copy the EFFORT.

Ah... Now I understand your perspective.

I think most of us here KNOW that significant effort is involved in achieving success with anything. We wouldn't be posting on Virgil's messageboard if we couldn't understand HARD practice.

My practicing thread was made with the assumption that you already *KNOW* that there is no shortcut for hard work. It was just about how to spend time doing hard work more efficiently. Get my drift?

I'm not interested in shortcuts. Unless they actually work, that is.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #12
bateria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcdrums
Ah... Now I understand your perspective.

I think most of us here KNOW that significant effort is involved in achieving success with anything. We wouldn't be posting on Virgil's messageboard if we couldn't understand HARD practice.

My practicing thread was made with the assumption that you already *KNOW* that there is no shortcut for hard work. It was just about how to spend time doing hard work more efficiently. Get my drift?

I'm not interested in shortcuts. Unless they actually work, that is.

Sorry, you should understand that I am used to the pearl forum, which is populated by moronic fools who want magic tricks for everything. I'll think better of the Virgil crowd now.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #13
cjcdrums

I'm all too familiar with the Pearl forum... I rarely post there due to the lack of quality in the threads and members, but there are occasionally gems in the rough, which is why I keep going back to it.

There are some great videos posted over there from time to time, and the WFD maniacs are always good for a laugh.

Is your user name bateria over there...?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #14
bateria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcdrums
I'm all too familiar with the Pearl forum... I rarely post there due to the lack of quality in the threads and members, but there are occasionally gems in the rough, which is why I keep going back to it.

There are some great videos posted over there from time to time, and the WFD maniacs are always good for a laugh.

Is your user name bateria over there...?

No, I had a different name. There is one great player over there, analogbeatmaker. Check out his video at http://www.grubsrof.com/images/publ.../Nick-Solos.mpg
Old 09-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #15
cjcdrums

Yeah, he's awesome. Very smooth style, and excellent hands.