Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
bateria

who here has hearing damage?

Just checking...I have a very, very mild ring from tinnitus. If I listen to loud live music it gets a lot worse. It doesn't bother me except in completely silent places. I also notice that sometimes I can't distinguish well between noises...like I can't pay attention to the TV when someone is talking. I still hear quite well, but I haven't gotten it tested officially...maybe I'll do that. Who here has damage or hearing loss, and how does it affect you?

I only wonder how all those early rock guys survived playing loud amplified music, most without protection....
Old 09-01-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
cjcdrums

That sounds a lot like me... my first year playing drums I didn't use hearing protection.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
MrFizzyCola

I also have mild tinnitus - I got my ears checked out and got some awesome specially-moulded-to-my-ears earplugs. I have had it for a few years now, but i've still got really good hearing. I kinda got used to it. I'd worry about it all the time and focus on it, but when I didn't care it calms. To me, it's a mental thing: if I don't think about it, it goes away. It's one of those 'purposeful displacement of concience' things...Although, there are times when it randomly amplifies tenfold! Disorientation-tastic! lol
Old 09-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
bateria

Yeah, sometimes my ear just starts ringing like crazy for 30 seconds, then it goes away. Pressure change or something? I can't imagine living with it that loud 24/7....it scares me enough to wear hearing protection all the time.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #5
percusski

I've always used some sort of hearing protection, mainly the foam plugs; the drawback being the loss of certain frequencies. Interestingly i'm in the process of ordering a pair of custom fitted Elacin ER25s, has anyone had experience of these?There is the option of 9, 15 or 25 DB reduction, I thought i'd go for the 25s to be safe although the filters are interchangeable. Practice in my drum room is painful without protection and additionally teaching for long periods can take it out on the ears!
percusski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:50 AM   #6
Helmet

I only damaged my hearing once

I was 15 and the band I was in decided we'd all go to 11 in a really tiny rehearsal room.. as I couldn't hear anything for about 5 days afterwards I decided that was the last time I'd ever play at high volume without ear plugs (and my brother was a plant mechanic so I had a ready supply!). Cue the same thing happening at a gig at the Astoria where all bands feel they have to crank everything up to the point of distortion and I decided to wear plugs to gigs too. It's not hard to go deaf - even security at medium to big gigs wear them.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 AM   #7
frozinrob

i'm kinda the odd one here, since my tinnitus has been with me most all my known life. I finally found out a couple of years ago that it came from a viral infection i had when i was about 3 or 4 years old (105 or 106 fever, hallucinations, the works....). so basicly i've really never known true silence. but on the other hand, the ringing doesn't bother me too much. i also have a bit of hearing loss in the mid-range, which makes life difficult since it's right in the range of human voice. (this was also from the infection)

so since i've had to deal with this all my life, i've always been particularly careful with my hearing. ear plugs, headphones, in-ears..... i got 'em all. i can't even stand the sound of cymbals with out my plugs in. (at least from a playing point of view)

it's cheaper to take care of it than to deal with not having it.......
Old 09-02-2005, 04:14 AM   #8
jagdkommando

I've tinnitus for 12 years now - it came after the first
year of drumming, because I played in a band without
ear protection. One of the biggest mistakes in my
life ... if you have it that long it is IN YOUR BRAIN
and you cannot do anything against it. The doctor
told me not to go to loud bars and concerts without
ear protection - otherwhise my tinnitus will be getting
worse.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:15 AM   #9
bobby

if you wear earplugs your ears will start to repair themselves apparently, a medical student friend of mine told me that. I practice on vdrums so i dont have to worry about them usually but whenever i go near a practice room, gig or acoustic drumkit for more than a few minutes i always pop them in, elacin er20s for me, there probly the best you can get without spending £150 on the custom made ones,
Old 09-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #10
dcdrmwthme

I have a mild case of ringing in my right ear...Damn Brady snare drum!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
bseff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdrmwthme
I have a mild case of ringing in my right ear...Damn Brady snare drum!

What?!? Huh???
bseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:22 AM   #12
mauricio

Send a message via ICQ to mauricio
From what I got asking doctors, lawyers and other drummers and factory workers that are exposed in similar fashion, only the people that haven“t been tested say that they do not have any damage.
to contemplate it in all its brilliance.
In fact, what can there be in common between
the vile multitude and sublime wisdom?
The truth must be kept secret, and the masses need
a teaching proportioned to their imperfect reason.

Illustrious Albert Pike 33°
Morals and Dogma, page 103
mauricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
alencore
Drum Therapist

oh tnk god to cotton buds, ear muffs, and those nice little ear protection rubbers. without them i could have lost 40 percent of my hearing during the days when i was practicing and gigging almost everyday in a loud ffuucckkin trashmetal band.

one of my drum mentors now has a permanent damage to his ears as he played with no ear protection almost all his entire career.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:11 AM   #14
C.J.

Quote:
I only wonder how all those early rock guys survived playing loud amplified music, most without protection....

Most of them have problems, just look at Phil Collins who's doctor told him he must stop doing concerts and ROd Morgenstein who is litterally deaf...

I've got to get my ears checked, I don't feel I have any problems, but being someone who plays music, I think it's important that we check our ears at least once a year.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #15
alencore
Drum Therapist

poor Rod.
now how about our hands. well, good technique will help save them but no matter what if you don't have enough time to recover those precious limbs will soon get worn out as well. a massage therapist will do wonders but get a man coz if a hot PT chick is treating you soemthing might rise up...HAHAHAHA!
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote