Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should I buy the 'A' or 'X' doubles???
'A' Longboard Double 11 84.62%
'X' Longboard Double 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #31
D. Slam

Send a message via AIM to D. Slam
The Axis A is the Bently, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porche, Rolls Royce, etc, etc... of pedals in my book. Perhaps there's something out there better, but I know I haven't found it at this time. The pedal is expensive and worth every penny! It takes some work to get it adjusted like you want, but really, in my book, all good things require some work effort on our part. In the end, the rewards are that much greater.

For me, there was no getting used to it over time. Once I got my settings dialed in and took off the hammers, the ride was all downhill from there. A piece of cake!

Of course it feels different, BETTER is different!

I'm a pretty open minded person when it comes to these kinds of things, but the Axis A has won me over to an extreme where I feel way over the top satisfied. I own and have used some great pedals, but nothing I've ever had or used in the past comes close to this unit... I don't have an endorsement deal (I wish), I have nothing to gain from saying this except the fact of knowing that the persons that aquire this piece has the best damn kick pedal on the planet, bar none!

Thank you and good night!

D.

Last edited by D. Slam : 08-30-2005 at 02:11 PM.
D. Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #32
peter

We'll never stop talking about Axis pedals. LOL

I like reading some of these posts, like Derek's,
for instance. Incidentally, Derek, you are a real
asset to this board.

I have said it in so many ways. The Axis-A is
an engineering triumph for drum pedals. It's
universal cam does something that pedals
will be trying to emulate from now on.

You have to look at his pedal like a work of
art and see what it can do for you, allowing
it the time and space to sink in.

I just played my Eliminators for two days,
loved them and then played my Axis-A's
again and worshipped them.

I want to get my hands on some BOA's a-
again, to really work its concept, the only
thing that comes close to the Axis.

Last edited by peter : 08-30-2005 at 08:05 PM.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:24 PM   #33
scottevtv

Are you talking about the new Bow Action Pedal by DW.. I tried one at the store and it was awesome.. It has a VDL also.. It was a really nice pedal I just don't know how if feels on a bass drum.. I played it in the air. It was a cool concept to have no spring and the tension actually felt pretty nice.. It is expensive at $220 a single though.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:32 PM   #34
peter

The VDL is in the movement of the footboard,
towards and away from the head.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 AM   #35
scottevtv

I know. I was saying that the new BOA pedal by DW has a similiar design to the VDL. It pretty much does the same thing for the feel of the pedal..
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 AM   #36
Derek Roddy

i played the DW BOA pedal at NAMM this year and was not impressed. it was sssooooo ssslllooowwww. the feel was NOTHING like an Axis pedal. apparently, that was a proto type and they made some improvements...........good!!! it needed it.

I agree with Peter about the eliminator's. for a regular stock pedal, it is the best one out there. i have a pair of strap drives myself. have no problem pulling off any normal playing.....just can't hold out singles over 230, as fast or as long, as i can with the axis pedals. still think they are the best value, but can't put a price on a Axis pedal. i'd still buy a Axis over any other, even if they were $1000.00 bucks............................................. each!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:33 AM   #37
Bostic

They call it a BOA because it constricts your playing?? *rimshot*

You just can't top the feel of Axis plus the benefits of the ekit triggers. Once you have, there is no going back. It's like going back to a car without power steering or brakes.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:32 PM   #38
peter

Derek/Bostic - LOL

You guys!!
Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #39
scottevtv

I never said I was getting a BOA. I just tried one at my local drum store. I did think it felt pretty cool. For the price it better be good. I am getting my Axis longboards 'X' doubles in a few weeks..
Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 PM   #40
D. Slam

Send a message via AIM to D. Slam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic
They call it a BOA because it constricts your playing?? *rimshot*

You just can't top the feel of Axis plus the benefits of the ekit triggers. Once you have, there is no going back. It's like going back to a car without power steering or brakes.

You used to drive a car without brakes?!.... I'm sched-a-you!

D.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #41
Blast_Duck

Im really frustrated that im not over the AXIS - 'Temporary Regret Syndrome' (as i like to call it). I've had them for months and ive only just narrowed down some basic VDL settings which i like. I find the foot board to be slippery and the slave pedal seems to slip lower and lower each playing and is never identical to the right and eventually ends up hitting the pedal clamp at the base of the pedal. I see their huge potential but ive actually got worse since i bought them. I almost sold them till i read a few more AXIS-worshipping threads. Also a further frustration is that the most-used allen key for the pedal has deformed at the head and as im a UK customer i have no access to upgrades/accessories such as the toe risers which i am so desperate to have. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..........this better blow over....i KNOW they are good pedals its just taking too long....... *Sigh*
Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #42
Derek Roddy

i would suggest... picking a spot on the VDL that you are MOST comfortable with......and stick with it. i would say because you are constantly changing, so is your ability to adjust to them.
as far as the slave pedal slipping...this too can be fixed. there are actually 3 allen key spots on the drive shaft. most users will only use the 2 in the front of the drive shaft because they are easier to reach. try to re set them all. tighten the back side allen key first the 3rd one. little bit more snug than it was before.....then do the 2 in the front. make sure you always re tighten the 3 rd key everytime. should solve your problem.
the reason your alen key is re-forming is because you are tightening the allen screw to much. if you pull the drive shaft apart, look where the screws would come into contact with the other side.......... search for grooves. if you have them.... move your distance a bit further or closer to make sure the screws don't fall back in the same place.

Last edited by Derek Roddy : 09-07-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #43
Bostic

While at Axis last week I had them change my 2nd set of pedals, the A's, over to X's. Power of the X.

You have to get through the switch over factor. I kept going back to my Camcos too until the switch was complete. One day the brain and body just connect with the Axis feel and the regret syndrome disappears.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #44
Blast_Duck

Thanks derek and bostic... sorry about the rant i needed to get it out my system..i imagine you know the feeling. This is what i found..

After much inspection it seems there are 3 places where the slave pedal may be moving independantly of the beater: 1 - as derek rightly said the linkage shaft. 2 - the cam on the axle of the slave pedal. and 3- the slave beater 'cam' on the master pedal.
After replacing the allen key and doign necessary tightenings/adjustments i finally got both pedals and beaters at the same angle.

I havnt given it a proper go yet (its too late to play right now) but just a quick barefoot tap told em i had done the right things.

Also i may consider applying a strip of grip tape, (similar to that found on skateboards) on to the 'sweet spot' of the pedal boards once ive found my 'sweet' settings. 'ATRS' should blow over soon with some practice and patience.

thanks again
Old 09-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #45
scottevtv

I bought the Axis 'A' Longboard Doubles. I ordered them through samash.com. I was originally going to get the 'X' line but they only had the 'A' line in stock and I didn't feel like waiting four weeks. I ordered them on Tuesday next day air, they are coming Tomorrow! I can't wait. I am sure I will like them. I have a no interest credit card with Sam Ash and it is costing me $37 dollars a month. Which is not bad. I will post tomorrow to let you all know what I think of them. I am really excited.. Question for Bostic and Derek, should I use the beater distance that comes out of the box? I have heard a lot of people say that the beater distance that comes out of the box feels pretty good. And also I have heard that the beater height can be pretty high as well. How do you all have them set up. I like my springs pretty tight so I will probably wind up cranking them way up. They come with the Sonic Hammers. I have never tried the Hammers so I am eager to see what they are all about. Thanks again for all you advice Bostic. To be honest in the future I might even buy the 'X' Longboards also. I just got a new job and I make great money so I really don't mind spending the money if I am going to be real happy with Axis products. Again I will let you all know.