Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should I buy the 'A' or 'X' doubles???
'A' Longboard Double 11 84.62%
'X' Longboard Double 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #16
Derek Roddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottevtv
I am just getting the 'A' I made up my mind.. I can always duplicate the settings to make it feel like an 'X'

keep in mind, that the goal is to make them feel the way YOU want them to feel! not the way an X pedal feels. the X pedal does not give you this option. if you don't like it.....there's NOTHING you can do about it with the X pedal. not the case with the A's. just a thought. beaters can.... and will be changed.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:00 PM   #17
cjcdrums

^Good point.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #18
D. Slam

Send a message via AIM to D. Slam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy
keep in mind, that the goal is to make them feel the way YOU want them to feel! not the way an X pedal feels. the X pedal does not give you this option. if you don't like it.....there's NOTHING you can do about it with the X pedal. not the case with the A's. just a thought. beaters can.... and will be changed.

That's it, all wrapped up in a nutshell.... Well said, Derek.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #19
scottevtv

Yeah but I don't know if I want the Sonic Hammers yet. And the Marksman hits the sweet spot at the same time as it strikes the head with the 'X', if I don't like the Sonic hammers maybe then the Marksman's won't feel rite on the "A's Plus the 'X' is $100 less.. Either way I don't want to be stuck..
Old 08-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #20
Derek Roddy

Quote:
Yeah but I don't know if I want the Sonic Hammers yet. And the Marksman hits the sweet spot at the same time as it strikes the head with the 'X', if I don't like the Sonic hammers maybe then the Marksman's won't feel rite on the "A's Plus the 'X' is $100 less.. Either way I don't want to be stuck..

you don't HAVE to use the sonic hammers if you don't want too. when the longboards first came out, Darrell didn't even have a design for the sonic hammers. it's not like they were designed for the longboards.
in fact, of all the longboard users i know (which is AT LEAST 75)......NONE of them use the sonic hammers......in fact, none of them use ANY of the Axis beaters. i only know 3 or 4 people that use the Axis beaters with their Axis pedals. i use danmar beaters or the pearl quad beater on my longboards.
you must realize that the beater angle on any pedal, from ANY manufacturer is a standard 45 degree, including Axis. if you want the beater closer to the head....you simply move it closer to the head. this is true for any pedal.
i would say... that in the long run, you'll be happier with being able to adjust the settings as you see fit. good luck with it. i know it sucks not being able to try them out. everyone i knew who as gotten them, put them away after 3 weeks or so,only to come back to them later and keep with them. Axis isn't a pedal that you "play", it's a pedal that you "control"! there's a big difference. i think, that's why so many drummers have a hard time adjusting to them. until you realize the potiential of controling rather than struggling to play something, you'll never be happy with them. they sure take getting use to though. LOL.

Last edited by Derek Roddy : 08-28-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #21
scottevtv

Thanks I will let you know. I have really good control on any pedal. I hope I will like them. I will post when I get them. I think I will like the Marksman beaters. It is the style of beater I am use to.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:35 AM   #22
D. Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy
Axis isn't a pedal that you "play", it's a pedal that you "control"! there's a big difference. i think, that's why so many drummers have a hard time adjusting to them. until you realize the potiential of controling rather than struggling to play something, you'll never be happy with them. they sure take getting use to though. LOL.

I've heard a lot of people say this... And I'm not saying that it's wrong because I'm sure that for them, this was the case. But for me, it wasn't. It was more a project of working with the adjustments on the pedal. After that there was nothing I needed to get used to, I felt right at home with it.

With all my other pedals, it was always just a matter of taking them out of the box, adjusting the springs, hooking them to the drum and playing them. This doesn't work for the Axis. It's a pedal that requires some kid gloves and loving hands. Right out of the box, it's crap! Once you get it fine tuned to the way you like it though, WATCH OUT!

What concerns me about the 'X' is you don't have as many of the adjustment options as the 'A'. So like Derek said, You get it and then don't like the way it feels,,,, Oh well...

D.

Last edited by D. Slam : 08-29-2005 at 04:23 PM.
D. Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:24 AM   #23
alencore
Drum Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcdrums
Wow, epic post, Bostic!

I laughed, I cried....

ROTFLMAO@cjc...kid your humor is such a blessing...HAHAHA!
Old 08-29-2005, 05:34 AM   #24
alencore
Drum Therapist

when it comes to adjusting the pedals any pedals, man very first db pedals where such nightmares i struggled to get everything on the right setting but with the yamahas oh man all i did was adjust the spring tension a little and i was rocking out like i was having sex at instant with a new girl i just met....HAHAHAHAHA!
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #25
scottevtv

I have seen Bostic play and we pretty much have the same style. What he said about the feel of the 'X' line is right on par with the type of feel I am looking for. I have tried the Marksman beaters at GC and I love them. I am buying 'X' Longboard Doubles. I am ordering them this week. I am sure the 'A' line is great but I think the 'X' line will suit my purpose. I play mostly singles anyway..
Old 08-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #26
D. Slam

Quote:
I have seen Bostic play and we pretty much have the same style. What he said about the feel of the 'X' line is right on par with the type of feel I am looking for. I have tried the Marksman beaters at GC and I love them. I am buying 'X' Longboard Doubles. I am ordering them this week. I am sure the 'A' line is great but I think the 'X' line will suit my purpose. I play mostly singles anyway..

Go for it, scottevtv... It's YOUR money, after all. I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by D. Slam : 08-29-2005 at 04:24 PM.
D. Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #27
Bostic

Lightbulb

Some serious flip floppin here. To quote the line from Risky Business, sometimes you just have to say "What the ****, take some chances." And for a Caddyshack line "See your future, be your future, make it."
Old 08-29-2005, 05:42 PM   #28
scottevtv

lol!! I think I have made up my mind. I am sure either way I will be happy. I just want to play 200 BPM and have it sound real clean and be able to last for a least 60 sec.. Thanks again for all your help Bostic. The pedals should arrive at my house in a few weeks. I will let you all know what I think then
Old 08-30-2005, 01:46 AM   #29
C.J.

Not that much to do with Scotts questioning, sorry. But I wanted to know, is a an Axis double pedal convertible in to two single pedals?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:20 AM   #30
roxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Not that much to do with Scotts questioning, sorry. But I wanted to know, is a an Axis double pedal convertible in to two single pedals?

Yes, it sure is