Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
andy_da_drummer

Weird drum set ups

Yo guys

Just bored so i thought anyone no any weird drum set ups or got any ideas e.g placement of toms or hi hats etc. Let me know cause i wana play around with my set up

Cheers
Andy
Old 07-20-2005, 02:56 AM   #2
mikkeydee

Didnt you notice that drummers like bozzio, thomas, mangini... who has strange setups.. all setup like that AFTER they get famous?
because if a drummer is not sure to make it big enough that everytime he has the crew to prepare and setup his kit to gigs, he cannot really survive~~~ on the drummer market~~~
otherwise unless this drummer only plays home or a fixed studio
So .. asking in a forum is not really a wise option~~~~since majority of us are still unfamed~~~
Old 07-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
drummaman1

that's a crap statement, man.

Are you telling me that Bill Bruford waited until he was famous to experiment with his drum set up????
Now, money helps, undoubtedly, but...it can be done.
Let's be realistic. Playing a kit with no hi-hat IS a SETUP change. Try it. I can't. :-)

Something as simple as, say, a set of bongos where the toms normally go, will get you thinking of different ways to play. I would, for example, incorporate them into a beat, instead of the start to a big drum fill only, a la Neil Peart. That's only the start.

Placing a china where a crash would normally be...it works for Charlie Watts, why not for us??

The album "gone, just like a train" by Bill Frisell has some fresh inspiration. Jim Keltner mounted a 10" snare where the tom would go normally, and a 12" to his left...there's a MD ask a pro article about it somewhere. Its a great CD that will give you ideas on creating really good grooves with "abnormal setups" Plus, Bill Frisell is excellent as usual on that disc, on any disc.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
slamnovalis

I'd have to agree.

Bozzio = Zappa influenced, and that's all that needs to be said... BUT I will add that if you've ever listened to Terry's numerous projects (Zappa, UK, Missing Persons.... THE BRECKER BROTHERS, Polytown, Bozzio Levin Stevens, etc.) You'd understand that it was only inevitable for him to create such obscene setups based on fulfilling his creative goals and needs. He's always has strange setups, even back in his days with Zappa when he used the black octopus or whatever it was called, and had electronics too.

Mangini has always played strange setups as well. Ever see those solo videos of him with his Van Halen cover band, or the ones with that new wave artist, Rick Berlin, with whom he worked? Rotos everywhere, two and three snare drums, bells, chinas, and the beginnings of the infamous OPEN-STANCE approach? It wasn't until after working with Annihilator did he realize he could turn himself into machine if he made a mock-symmetrical setup where he could utilize and develop the left and right side almost equally, and to the fullest.

Lang's setup I can't say was anything used as a ploy to turn heads after he got big. If anything, it's surprising that he added a bunch of equipment that he knew and developed skill for QUICKLY (you know what I'm talking about-- twin effects and the right hi-hat pedal). He wasn't playing those in that 777 video on his DVD, and that couldn't have been any more than five to six years old. And anyway, his setup has been designed completely around the music he plays, and what's required to get that music, in the live setting, sounding like it does on the CD.

I swear, the people joining and posting on this message board are getting brainless by the minute.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
andy_da_drummer

Yo again

I have seen all those guys and there brilliant drummers. I ve played infront of lang on his kit and that was fun. But why have a dig at any other drummer that is making a statment. Of course everyone has there opinune but drummers should listen and respect other drumers ideas and interpretations, even if they are pricks. But thanks for replying anyway.

Cheers
Andy

p.s Im not having a pop at anyone sorry
Old 07-21-2005, 02:46 AM   #6
johngregson

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummaman1
Plus, Bill Frisell is excellent as usual on that disc, on any disc.

Damn right!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:11 AM   #7
drummaman1

Please do not misconstrue me:

I don't KNOW who the poster is, I'm only saying that his STATEMENT holds very little water. Whether or not he's this or that, I'm not worried about. Actually later in his post, he has a point... most people who make a living playing drums don't have "weird" setups. Be that as it may, you can be experimental without busting the wallet....although having some money helps.

So again, I respond to the comment, not the commenter. Who's to say they won't say that about me?? He could be brainless...I could be brainless...we really have no way of knowing solely on this forum.

Just a clearing of the air, here. I'm here for the DIALOGUE. Leave the knocking around for "Friday Night Fights".
Thank You.