Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 05:20 AM   #1
beat103

Exclamation what are the most important things to concentrate on?

what are the the most important things to concentrate on ?

there are all these techniques eg ,heel up ,heel down ,heel toe .....
hundreads

what should you actually practice the most?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
electrizer

i suggest search through the forum. there were lots of posts that will answer your question
electrizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
dreamtheater_US

In my opinion you should play heel up and heel down overall
Old 05-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
beat103

what are the basics a drummer should practice and become very good at before moving on?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
dreamtheater_US

first of all you've got to have a good technique or some technique...you should play some snare drum books, and if you're beggining, my advice is: work on your feet like in your hands, they have the same importance.
That's the first thing,then you should work combinations between hands and feet like rudiments etc...and playing in your whole drum set...then I'd work on coordination, I mean playing as much styles as you can, everything with a click track( that's the most important thing ) you should develope a perfect tempo, and then work on ostinatos, polyrythms....In my daily practice,rudiments are very important...but I work them carefully and doing a lot of combinations,even rhytms...
Hope it helps
Old 05-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
mathcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat103
what are the basics a drummer should practice and become very good at before moving on?

Basics: Read music, hand grip, foot technique, learn all types of music and then practice, practice, practice, and ENJOY. Me and my ex-drum teacher asked Antonio Sanchez about his grip, after a gig with Patittucci and he told us he LEARNED and practiced them all and then forgot all about it and now just plays. So at first put your time on technique, practice in front of a mirror and same goes for your feet it will pay of.

Good Luck

Last edited by mathcore : 05-19-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
beat103

thanks guys : )
Old 05-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
IronCobraMan

the most important thing to concentrate on is the music.... no matter how tech a drummer u are... if u dont know how to apply it to music, ur not a good drummer... ACDC is a perfect example of musicality... so simple , so straight forward... but gets everybody going
Old 05-30-2006, 08:48 PM   #9
king_chicken

i realised a couple of months ago, that i should stop playing all the fast, technical stuff, or play less of it. because i played dream theater and stuff like that for the last couple of years, my knowledge of time and basic level of tightness got itself together in a small way. but now i have that understanding i can play along to any simple rock song and im learing jazz so chart reading becomes important, anywho the point to this ramble is to play as advanced stuff as you can, as long as you can play it perfectly. i use the 4 time rule, if i can play it four times in a row without a single mistake then i can play it. if i cant then its too hard and it either needs more practice or it needs to wait for later.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 AM   #10
isp_of_doom

king_chicken, I agree with what you're saying. Focus on playing things smoothely, I've noticed that a lot in Neil Pearts drumming. He really approaches drumming as another level of music, try listening to Limbo (test for echo) and play it for yourself. It will sound nothing like it does on the album.

What should you focus on? Everything. Learn everything, incorporate it into your playing style, and then continue with whatever you can imagine. Music, by its nature, is creative, so lets not spoil it.