Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
IronCobraMan

need help with a basic songo pattern...

im trying to find vid of a basic songo pattern with the left clave rhythm also.... since i cant read music... i need to see vid or hear it my ear to know wats going on with the left foot and the rest.... so any vid or audio sample of a regular songo+clave would be fresh like the prince of belair.

hey i got an idea ... PETER....make a clip for me...since ur Mr.Latin !! pretty please
Old 06-21-2005, 11:04 PM   #2
cjcdrums

Dude! Do yourself a favor and learn how to read music!

I did... you just have to force yourself.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:57 PM   #3
IronCobraMan

i know dude... i know this guy whos gonna teach me...but for now...until that happens.... i need the vid... u got one cjc?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
alencore
Drum Therapist

gregg bisonette first drum vid intructional has section about
latin drumming and those songos and claves stuff.
i think i have an audio of that but in a cassette tape.

or better yet check out alex acuna.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Drumblast

Hey IC,

Get off your lazy butt and learn how to read music. It's good for you. Virg can read. It's not hard. Buy the Elementary Drum Method by Roy Burns
Drumblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
IronCobraMan

yea.... with all that said.... i jus got a hold of the songo pattern with the clave...and nailed it down today! super fun stuff

Ps. Drumblast, hows ur band doing these days.. i see ur up on the half man half machine website too....good stuff!

Last edited by IronCobraMan : 06-22-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
Kinetic drummer

Talking

first of all.
try, to play the bass drum pattern on your foot. and play all the clave forms in your right hand. (hope you know the 4 clave forms and its derivates)
try to play it all together... then... play the claves with the left hand.
since playing clave its a matter of independence at a high level, for a songo patter, i would recommend you to see how the patterns sound together.
like that its very easy..
the problem is to improvise the bass with the clave on your feet.
try to look for horacio hernandez book.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:08 AM   #8
IronCobraMan

the way im playing it is quarter notes with the right hand and the clave is with my left foot on my hats , its not easy , im looking at it in a linear perspective , once im fully comfortable with that...im gonna isolate the feet and work on freeing up the hands
Old 06-23-2005, 07:04 AM   #9
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

lars ulrich

Last edited by MaltBuddow3 : 05-22-2012 at 07:16 AM.
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
IronCobraMan

oh for sure.... i dont know jack **** about the latin style.... but , its a great excercise! thats wat non educated drummers do....learn patterns , incorporate them into what they think works...and sometimes it can be awesome!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #11
Bostic

This is a great site for learning how to read music and knowing what all those black dots mean on a sheet of paper.

http://www.musictheory.net/

There are plenty of great players who can't read a note at all but it's too your advantage to be able to read. My mother made me take up the Clarinet in middle school. I protested at first but soon got hooked. I then learned the sax as well and was soon playing a mix of Clarinet, Baritone Sax and drums. I actually just visited my old high school (class of '89 !!) and saw the concert performance from the band and orchestra. I got a chance to see my old music teacher and we talked some afterwards. I told him I still use the theory I learned from him every day and it's been 16 years since I graduated. It's not going to hurt you at all so it's worth the effort.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
IronCobraMan

thanks bostic... this website is killer , ill be reading in no time

i find it amazing how quickly ur singles are advancing , given that their flatfoot singles... i cant wait till u post a 250 16th run , with that awesome flatfoot power behind them....

PS. i saw u on that WFD montage , with tim waterson hawk-eyeing ur attempt , lol....was that ur 880 run ?

Last edited by IronCobraMan : 06-23-2005 at 11:09 AM.