Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
scottevtv

?????????????????????

Last edited by scottevtv : 05-21-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
jimi

If the spring tension was tighter, Virgil would have said it in the video!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:39 AM   #3
Wojtek

I suppose that video is in the premium section??
What he's saying about his pedal settings??
Old 05-18-2005, 03:50 AM   #4
Dillinger

I highly doubt his left pedal would have a higher tension setting than his main pedal. It would seem illogical to do that, particularly for Virgil. Cause as we all know, both of his are equal in greatness!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Funkifized

I attended one of his clinics, and he says that he just plays them out of the box, no spring tension adjustments, just the angle and cam adjustments. He said something like "I use the Pearl Eliminators... and they're pretty consistent. I use them right out of the box, I don't adjust anything, other than getting the angle correct."

But hell, it doesn't matter to him, does it? One of his proficiencies is his adaptability. Maybe you shouldn't stick to one pedal setting, but rather change frequently so that you won't develop a reliance on your own pedals when you have to play a gig on someone else's kit. Believe me, people will think you're a total loser if you blame your bad playing on pedal settings or tom angles or stuff like that.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #6
C.J.

If there is on thing I'm not going to forget if I play on someone elses kit, it's to bring my pedals, cymbals and stix.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
bateria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkifized
I attended one of his clinics, and he says that he just plays them out of the box, no spring tension adjustments, just the angle and cam adjustments. He said something like "I use the Pearl Eliminators... and they're pretty consistent. I use them right out of the box, I don't adjust anything, other than getting the angle correct."

But hell, it doesn't matter to him, does it? One of his proficiencies is his adaptability. Maybe you shouldn't stick to one pedal setting, but rather change frequently so that you won't develop a reliance on your own pedals when you have to play a gig on someone else's kit. Believe me, people will think you're a total loser if you blame your bad playing on pedal settings or tom angles or stuff like that.

That's very true. There's nothing more pathetic than a drummer making excuses for his playing by complaining, "these drums aren't set up right for me," "I don't have my drumming shoes on," "these heads are too tight/loose," blah blah blah. A real pro would sit down and make the shabbiest kit sound like gold.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:44 AM   #8
DerNeue

I think all these questions are being answered in the pedalsetings video. Listen to what he says he is answering the question.
Keep in mind - what matters is practice, practice and persistence!
Old 06-05-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
scottevtv

Never mind this thread I have looked really close at the video and the springs appear to be the same tension. It was just hard to see from the angle the camera was at. I have pretty much duplicated Virgil's settings on my Eliminators. I am really happy, great pedals. My beater distance is just about 5" from the head. I think this is how far virgil's are, give or take a little. Blue cams and I just started experimenting with the purples

Last edited by scottevtv : 06-05-2005 at 04:45 PM.