Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
mgray

Send a message via AIM to mgray
Buddy Rich Push/Pull Technique

In Jo-Jo Mayer's videos on Drummerworld.com, he calls this "Buddy Rich's secret weapon". Does anyone have video or an in depth explanation of developing this technique? I know Jim Chapin has some videos on Vic Firth.com, but I'm looking for as much material as I can get, because I want to fully develop the stroke. Does anyone have suggestions? Cheers.

-Matt
Old 04-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
cjcdrums

I am also trying to figure that thing out. Seems pretty tough.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Markdude465

Well, I'm not sure what he's doing with his left hand, but here's my interpretation of the right hand technique: http://img118.echo.cx/img118/9760/d...diagram29ji.jpg

As you can see, it's a two stage deal. You start with the whole stick up, and bring it down as you would with a regular stroke, but when the stick hits, you continue down with your wrist and loosen up the fingers. For the seconds stroke, you tighten your fingers back up, the stick hits again, and then use the rebound to bring your wrist back up. It's sorta like what Johny Rabb does with the rim, but without the rim.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
peterad

MarkDude's got it correct. I dont personally use this technique, but Ive tried it a few times his description seems right on.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
Markdude465

WOHOO! I actually do something right!
Old 04-17-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
cjcdrums

Wow, is that really how you do it? Has anyone here got this down yet?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
alencore
Drum Therapist

i think you need to check out dave weckl's
older vid BACK TO BASIC. he had a segment about such
technique for match and traditional.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
mgray

Sweet, thanks a ton guys. Although I do appreciate everyone's input, I still want to get as much other input on this as possible. Does anyone else have video or anything? Eventually I would like to buy Weckl's whole videography though. Thanks so much. Cheers.

Last edited by mgray : 04-23-2005 at 07:51 PM.
mgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
IronCobraMan

its a one handed roll without the snare rim .... first stroke ...forearm (push)...second stroke , fingers (pull)....not easy to master....but once mastered is easy....
Old 04-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #10
Drumcanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray
In Jo-Jo Mayer's videos on Drummerworld.com, he calls this "Buddy Rich's secret weapon". Does anyone have video or an in depth explanation of developing this technique? I know Jim Chapin has some videos on Vic Firth.com, but I'm looking for as much material as I can get, because I want to fully develop the stroke. Does anyone have suggestions? Cheers.

-Matt

Matt if you are talking about the motion you do a shuffle and straighten out the notes.The video from MD festival shows JO JO doing this quite well.
This is another way I teach my students to play faster easier.
For the right hand TRY this push the first note with your thumb and pull your fingers for the next note ythe KEY is to make it sound unaccented.
Takes practice.
This can also be turned into triplets withe same motion just control the notes withe up or downstroke.
I am trying to get video up of this I will keep you posted.
Good Luck and God Bless
Tim Waterson www.drumcanman.com
Old 04-26-2005, 05:18 PM   #11
cjcdrums

Hey Tim, come to the Portnoy chat!
Old 04-26-2005, 05:23 PM   #12
Kyle

Buddy's left hand

JoJo is not even close to Buddy's left hand speed. That's the truth.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #13
mgray

Tim -

Thanks so much for your reply. Hopefully, I will be able to practice this method, and master this soon. I can't wait for that video, please let me know as soon as you have it!! Any more advice?

ICM -

What you are suggesting is called the "gravity blast" by some, and I'd like to think that I have mastered that. I can do it really fast, and yes, it is easy, but the push-pull technique that Buddy Rich uses is quite different. This technique is a roll without the use of any rims; completely finger controlled. If you watch Jo Jo's video on drummerworld, you'll see what I mean. Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by mgray : 04-26-2005 at 08:13 PM.
mgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
Drumcanman

Quote:
Tim -

Thanks so much for your reply. Hopefully, I will be able to practice this method, and master this soon. I can't wait for that video, please let me know as soon as you have it!! Any more advice?

ICM -

What you are suggesting is called the "gravity blast" by some, and I'd like to think that I have mastered that. I can do it really fast, and yes, it is easy, but the push-pull technique that Buddy Rich uses is quite different. This technique is a roll without the use of any rims; completely finger controlled. If you watch Jo Jo's video on drummerworld, you'll see what I mean. Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt I have video unfortunately this pc will not play video and my other pc will not even convert audio files?
I am working on it.
God Bless
Tim Waterson www.drumcanman.com
Old 04-26-2005, 08:34 PM   #15
IronCobraMan

Quote:
Tim -

ICM -

Cheers,
Matt

tell me something i dont know.... thats what i was explaining...push/pull = one handed roll without the rim involved...but its the same principle..the folcrum is in the middle of the stick....

anyways.... i was working on this technique with both hands today (matched grip) .... in hopes to one day be able to blast at 350+ ..... thats gonna be some serious practice tho :P

Last edited by IronCobraMan : 04-26-2005 at 08:40 PM.