Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2005, 03:39 AM   #1
DD_Timekeeper

Musical situation in your country

Let's do a survey!
how many gigs in a year (average)? how do you find your gigs? have you got an agency, or "do it yourself" method? do you play in one or more band? is it your regular job or you have to do something else to live? (maybe this one is a duplicate question... seen in another thread...) how much time do you play every gig? etc. etc.

In Italy, if you play an instruments, you're someone who's playing a game, not a serious professional... there's not much consideration for musicians... matter of culture... however I play 60-70 times in a year, with different bands... anyway, moneys are not enough to live with, so I'm also a computer technician... Here gigs goes from 1h 30m to 3h and more...
Old 03-29-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
my average a year is maybe 3 or 4 gigs! there isnt much demand for GOOD music here! not a lot of places to play that arent too big for the city/cities to let us play there. all everyone wants is..emo..punk..death metal..and all that stuff. so, us being a little high school prog band isn't going to get us a whole lot, regardless! but i am a community board member and we r setting up a music festival to raise money for a community music room/recording room. so, good stuff!
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:05 AM   #3
pcannon

We are very lucky here in the U.S.( the boarder of minnesota/Wisconsin) Music has always an "escape" from the 9 to 5 of the weekly job here for most people. I've been able to play two gigs (fri-sat from 10pm to 2 am) every weekend of the year with many thrusdays and holidays aswell. So at tax time that works out to about 150 nights a year.(OOuch) During the week I teach out of my home and at two local schools. Theres also alot of studio work, for independant artist or commercials for radio and t.v. Once you show them that you can READ, Play FOR the song, act in a pro-manner, this kind of work just snowballs! Even though we all practice and push our limits and tempos, I've NEVER been hired for my speed! If you can't groove or play the pocket, you will not work. I've been fortunate to support my self and then my family through music since the age of 16,( for the past 21 years) back then the drinking age was 18, Im old! This is possible all over the states, you won't become rich, and it can be VERY cut-throat at times, but you can make a living if you can play and understand that its about songs, not solos!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
Johnny

I play only about 150-200 gigs a year. Could (and have) played 250-up, but fortunately my teaching allows me to be a little more selective about the gigs I do.

There's plenty of work in Texas, and an extra dimension is available here in the South (the Bible belt) for Christian drummers: Praise band work. Many of those gigs can be very musical, they pay their musicians well, and you don't have to deal with smoke or blown monitors that smell like stale beer!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:09 AM   #5
DD_Timekeeper

Don't know why, but when I read the word 'only' before the words '200 gigs', it makes me cry when I'll play 200 gigs in a year, I will offer a dinner in Italy to all the forum members, inclusive of the travel ticket!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:21 AM   #6
dave wilkinson

how many gigs a year, 200!!!! what the hell...... some people are lucky.... the average around here may be........ 5-10 a year.......but that depends on how well known you are.....
Old 03-29-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
DD_Timekeeper

Dave, where are you from?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
Andrew Dennison

How do all of you guys get your gigs?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #9
alencore
Drum Therapist

there's enough gigs here if the band is good, popular enough and has many contacts.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
Milo Porto
Executive Member

musical situation here..? Huh! we're ****ed...the only major gigs we have here are jingally jangally type of music gigs..! jingally jangally...i.e. indie music...etc.. there are metal gigs here BUt very lamely organized..!!!

www.myspace.com/brandonkhoo

http://www.mapexdrums.com/artists/S...io_Brandon.html

There's nothing for you to fight against, You're so unreal it's evident, You'll never be one of our kind
This ain't yours, **** you don't try, again we will rise! - lamb of god
Milo Porto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #11
DD_Timekeeper

Initially I've spent a lot of time travelling from pub to pub, and leaving demo CD's (Italy is not U.S.!!)... but this was many years ago... now I'm quite known in my region, so often it's people who calls me for a gig... and also, to play often, I have several bands... here we call "tribute band", but I don't know if it's correct: we call "tribute band" a band which plays only covers from a single author/group. I have an Iron Maiden tribute band, Queen tribute band, Pearl Jam t.b., Alice in Chains, and recently Symphony-X tribute band. In the early days I played also in a Steve Vai & Loe Satriani tribute. It would be great to have an agency to get gigs for us, but they only do it you play "liscio", an awful sub-kind of horrible sounds which is characteristic of Italy
Old 03-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #12
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny
I play only about 150-200 gigs a year. Could (and have) played 250-up, but fortunately my teaching allows me to be a little more selective about the gigs I do.

There's plenty of work in Texas, and an extra dimension is available here in the South (the Bible belt) for Christian drummers: Praise band work. Many of those gigs can be very musical, they pay their musicians well, and you don't have to deal with smoke or blown monitors that smell like stale beer!

i think i need to move to texas..
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:03 PM   #13
rastawes

gigs

it must be a midwest thing, I live in IL on the border of Iowa and Illinois and I average roughly 150+ gigs per year...and i sleep in my bed everynight(for the most part)...i handle 100% of my own booking!!! that's the key...i play in predominantly trios cuz that's where the $$$ is...right now i play drums in 3 groups and i sing lead in another, as well as freelance whenever the schedule permits...the guys that i work with in my main group are absolutely phenomenol(sp) players, the guitar player uses steve vai and eric johnson licks to warm up...and the bass player plays les claypool note for note...the gigs are good and bad...i mean i do some blues gigs and some really not fun cover gigs, but hey it beats punching in everyday...and i'm just starting up a jazz trio ala marco minnemann's work...so i stay busy...and again it beats punching in...

best wishes guys

wes