Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
the scottster

A message to Nevesis:

It has recently come to someone’s attention that you are writing quite disturbing comments about them over the internet on various “drumming” forums in which he has become quite concerned about.

“I have come to know this forum as the most critical when it comes to drummers and drumming in general. Which is a good thing!”, so you say Nevesis...

No, unfortunately this is not a good thing. You certainly have the wrong ideals about music and drumming, it is most certainly not a good thing that we can so easily criticize others for their skills and abilities. As musicians, (not only as drummers) it is much easier to blatantly condemn another person rather than assess and focus on our own downfalls, something in which you are obviously extremely good at. Music is about respecting and understanding another’s gift, even if it is not what your personal tastes desire.

When the person in question read the comments you wrote about him, he was not upset nor was he insulted. In actual fact, he found it remarkably complimentary that you would even put his name and that of another drummer who is of such an iconic state in the same sentence, especially in comparison. What he actually did was chuckle and furthermore ask himself, “what makes such an insignificant person who is obviously so terribly insecure about themselves and their drumming say such things about another person that they have never seen, met, or even spoken to before, when they certainly have no right to do so?” So he asks you, “what gives you the right to say such ridiculous things?

The person in question doesn’t care who you think you are within the drumming community (obviously nobody nevertheless) but he is quite distressed knowing that you (and others like yourself) are out there; you should be ashamed to call yourself a drummer.

Finally, the person in question has been drumming a hell of a lot longer than you, he was playing drums while you were still sucking on your dummy as a baby, he has much more experience than you, he has studied with the best, (including the drummer you so personally compared him with), he was even previously awarded as the up and coming drummer competition winner in Australia, he has the praise of the best, (including the drummer you so eloquently compared him to), and yes, that particular drummer has seen and heard the person in question play, in numerous one-on-one private lessons in fact, and never did he receive any comments even close to the things you say about him, never! In fact, the drummer you compared the person in question to was quite complimentary and had some very kindly things to say about his playing and his ability...

While you sit on your computer and go from forum to forum criticizing others and making videos of yourself in your basement the person in question will be out in the real world focusing on what’s really important, so please take your pessimistic, unsubstantiated, immature, egotistical and down-right ludicrous crusades of ignorance elsewhere.

Enough said!

Last edited by the scottster : 03-18-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
drummaman1

..well said, Scottster.

My gripe with nevesis was his confirmation of people who praised his abilites (which are many and he is a very good player) and complete non-acknowledgement,or worse yet, berating and condescention of people who offer constructive criticism about his playing, all the while stating that he could take such criticism. Scottster, more or less, said just that in his post.

I want a forum that has all opinions, all views, from drummers and musicians of all walks of life. It's what makes us complete, not only as drummers and musicians, but people.
I don't care to listen to you if all you do is hate...it brings me down. That doesn't mean I WON'T listen, or berate you for hating. That's ignorance. You take the good with the bad, and make of it what you will.
I read good from nevesis, but bad when someone tries to comment on improving, or what have you. Then it stays bad, and he then tunes out all negative criticism, not by silence, but by turning that negativism on the person who gave it initially, or to the whole post. Which proves to me that he can dish it out, but he can't take it when it comes back at him.
In this day and age where we can be whoever we want to be on this forum, bad or good, the 'cream rises to the top' so to speak, and those (not just nevesis) who hate, or come on the forums to post videos, read how everybody loves thier playing, and make fun of those who give advice to improve, and just overall having a negative 'vibe', you will get what is due to you. It's all about karma, in my view.

Thanks for reading. This is not a call to ban or block anyone from saying or posting anything. This is just a reminder to let you know that people are noticing what you write, your attitude in the comments you post, whether you realize it or not, and before you know it you'll have enough egg on your face to make a really big omelete if you don't watch yourself!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
cjcdrums

I think this thread is inviting nothing but trouble. Nevesis is the person he is, not us, and he will not change. That said, I do have some stuff to get off my chest. Mainly to the people that perpetuate the hostility between "us" and him. You guys need to understand that only you (or Christopher) can stop the verbal bloodbath. It is up to you, scottster, and you, drummaman1, and all of "us" collectively, to not respond to the comments he can't seem to control. Someone has to draw that line, to say to themself, "Self, even though so and so said something that is completely wrong and insulting, I must be the bigger man here and not get defensive." I tell you, ever since I came here, any time I got flamed (which is pretty rarely, thankfully), I have brushed it off, stopping the conflict. If you take anything personally, then you will tend to respond without thinking of the consequences, and make an ass of yourself. I challenge anyone who gets flamed here to do the right thing, and not retaliate. It just doesn't look good. Nevesis is not stupid. He knows exactly how arrogant and insulting everyone here thinks he is. Furthermore, that does not seem to deter him from continuing his hostility. You can't change him or his ways. You can only change your own. So please, guys, BE THE BIGGER MAN.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
wcm_ambas

i agree! that's why this is a forum, to share each other opinions and to respect each other. i've seen nevesis videos he was amazing, but i don't like his attitude, for me he was just boasting his self, very show-off person, but he doesn't know that there are still many good drummers above him, and yet he says he was only playing about 10 years? men that was a hell he was so proud of himself... we all are good drummers i mean all of us all of the drummers in the world and i respect and understand every drummers opinion, i'm not in the art of critisicm. i'm happy to see someone playing good than me, but never boast. nevesis was just dissapointing the other drummers by making them envy. that's all. it is very important to respect each others opinion thats all dude! keep on drumming!!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:42 AM   #5
alencore
Drum Therapist

the drama unfolds...
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
wcm_ambas

haha... enough for this guys! ok...
Old 03-18-2005, 09:49 AM   #7
D.W.A.

is it just me.......or should this had been a personal message(pm)?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
C.J.

I think too that this post should have been a PM, put like it is, it's just wood waiting to be lit on fire.

I share Cjc's and Wcw's opinion : Nevster will not change for us, and the more you push him, the more he will stand his ground the way he does. So it is up to all of us ('caus you never know who's turn it could be) to react the good way.

We've already had a debate on the negative attitude on this bord, and we came to the conclusion that we all must do an effort. Let's continu that way huh ?

Big hug,
Me.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #9
cjcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W.A.
is it just me.......or should this had been a personal message(pm)?

Yeah. Nevesis will have an aneurism if he sees this.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
kirk

Please keep this stuff to P.M.'s or E-mails. We all have our opinion's about what has went on concerning different situations but starting a thread specifically to get something going is not smart at all. This board does not need more of this Crap. If we want to debate music, drumming, technique fine but starting threads that are just personal war's should be kept between the parties involved.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #11
drumsrule

My frist post!

Hello everyone! This is my very first post! First of all, I would to thank everyone on this board who posts their comments, videos, advice, and tips. Needless to say this board and its members never cease to amaze with their skills. AWESOME STUFF!! I am 34 years old, and just getting into drumming with any sort of dedication or discipline. I got my first set of drums when i was 5, and a few more througout the years, but did not apply myself! Obviuosly I regret that, but recently purchased a new Pearl Export set. I try to play every day after work. I am not any good yet, but will keep trying. Anyway, I will give everyone's eyes a rest, and end this post. Again, I thank everyone who posts on this board. I learn something new every day!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #12
alencore
Drum Therapist

no let them kill each other while we observe...hehehe..jk jk jk!
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #13
cjcdrums

Welcome to the board! Make yourself at home. I think you caught us at a bad moment though- this thread is an example of us at our worst.

Anyway, hope you like it here. I sure do!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
drumsrule

Hey cjc! Thanks. I do think I will like it here. As far as the Nevesis issue, he does seem to be highly defensive from some of the posts I have read. But don't tell him I said that! LOL!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #15
morgenthaler
Administrator

Welcome drumsrule!
We´re glad to have you here!
Closed Thread