Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2003, 06:57 AM   #1
seanstrelecki

working out...in relation to drumming

I am a fitness fanatic kind of person...and also a drummer...and I was wondering, is wightlifting and bodybuilding necessarily BAD for drumming....I mean I do alot of cardio too...just wondering. Or is just plain drumming the best drumming workout? I dunno. share your input if you'd like.

BTW this is awesome..I can just post my thoughts and so far I've always gotten an answer! You guys are great.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:49 AM   #2
bootdogs

I personally think it depends what you want to work on and how you want your drumming to improve. Yes it's good to work out and add that extra fuel when you play, but it all depends where you want to distribute it.

I personally do a lot of cardio and play some tennis & badminton. This helps me a bit when Im on my kit. Eating well helps a lot too.

The bottom line to all this is : Healthy life will result in healthy and creative drumming.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
Milo Porto
Executive Member

i run everyday 45mins max!! i think that helps your body sort of warmed up for the day..as i play nights in a club..i need to keep in shape one way or another..plus i think running helps your double pedal work...its like warming up your calfs, thigh muscles!

carrying weights ..i think is good but at the end of the day it takes a lot of maintainence...i used to do weights as well almost everyday..but after my soccer injury...in which i tore my ankle ligament i realized that a full time musician cannot aford to get injured due to his job/passion.
bottom line..try not to have any contact sports...soccer, rugby, espeacially aussie rules football...as those guys are crazy..i mean crazy..to me aussie rules means - NO RULES LOL!
but it is interesting to see the game..as every tackle is followed by me going ooooooowwwwww!!!

www.myspace.com/brandonkhoo

http://www.mapexdrums.com/artists/S...io_Brandon.html

There's nothing for you to fight against, You're so unreal it's evident, You'll never be one of our kind
This ain't yours, **** you don't try, again we will rise! - lamb of god
Milo Porto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 01:20 AM   #4
jimi

We were talking about this before and it seems even push-ups and chin-ups have caused alot of tenseness in the arm muscles. im not sure myself but for definite cardiovascular work is a surefire way of complimenting your drumming.
back to bodybuilding, ankle weights and things like that are fine, heck even try sticking them on your arms and try alien crossovers!
Old 10-05-2003, 06:54 AM   #5
alencore
Drum Therapist

me i cycle a lot and it's really good as far it seems for me for double bass stuffies.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:10 PM   #6
Milo Porto
Executive Member

cycle...hmmmm..wouldnt mind that but...i have a fear of buses riding along side me...as here in singapore you dont have much country sides...if i were to ride...it would be on the roads...and i dont think i would want to do that ..due to my fear of being runed over by a BUS or evena car....i treasure my drumming too much!!

i'll stick to running...!!
although i do agree cycling is a very good cardio sport as it is VERY VERY low impact...whereas running is very high impact...and if not with proper, good running shoes...it WILL damage the knee!!

thats why im using adidas running shoes..as they provide good low impact feel and its tracktion lasts looong!!

There's nothing for you to fight against, You're so unreal it's evident, You'll never be one of our kind
Old 10-14-2003, 09:55 PM   #7
DavidPartay
meeheehee

Send a message via MSN to DavidPartay
I power walk (takes me 12 minutes) to and from work on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (except on Monday mornings when I drive a work car there for it to get picked up by another guy). That's my leg workout .

As for my arms, I rely on the Power Drumming exercises around the kit to work my arms out as I figure those exercises are working out the right muscles.

David Pardy on YouTube
DavidPartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:37 AM   #8
TUDW

milo porto, man, is everyone against u or something! Danm, so paranoid of never playing the drums again! But thats cool, just to let you know that ur a dieing bread, meaning theres not that much drummers that dont take risks to risk never playing drums, if any of that makes sence.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:12 AM   #9
Me.2

Quote:
Originally posted by TUDW
milo porto, man, ur a dieing bread

Sort of like a Loaf that is half baked and unrisen,....stay with me i'm on a Roll!

Old 10-16-2003, 08:21 AM   #10
quitou

I ride a stationary bike everyday...good work out and it keeps me in shape...I would run, but I hurt my knees in the past by playing too many sports so now I prefer riding a bike because it's much lower impact on the knees...I don't lift weights anymore because I just get too big...I'm one of those guys that puts on bulk really easily and I don't really want to be some big meat head...i am naturally bulky enough with out weights, so I don't bother with them anymore (for now anyhow)

Anybody who thinks working out is bad for drumming, just look at Virgil...that guy is in amazing shape...I'm pretty sure he works out because it's hard to keep a body looking that fit when you get to be around his age...also look at Danny Carey, he works out a lot as well...he says that he does a lot of weight training and it doesn't seem to harm his playing...in fact anybody that listens to tool will tell you what an amazing drummer he is...

I think exercising is generally a positive thing, not just for drumming but for health and life as well...
Old 10-16-2003, 09:23 AM   #11
kirk

Virgil is a CYBORG!! The guy never stops. I just read an interview with the guitar player from Freakhouse. The guy was saying that Virg is the MOST disciplined committed guy he has ever seen and that is anything he does. He was telling a story of a gig they did, awhile back. They go and set up rehearse and really spend most of the day doing that. So Virg say's let's go chill I my pad. They all go and Virg as soon as he hit's the house goes on a 5 mile run right before the gig!! then comes back and is all pumped and full of energy and the guy's are shaking their heads thinking where in the heck does the guy get his motivation and energy and he practices for hours before he does all this. He is the non-stop TRAIN! I know that in past readings he swims, runs, does
yoga exercises, as far as lifting I do not know.

I myself lifted heavy weights hard for years and I got to stiff. Lifting lighter weights with more rep's worked good for me really built up my endurance and energy. Swimming is a great overall exercise working the whole body but keeping the body loose and limber at the same time
Kirk
Old 10-16-2003, 12:54 PM   #12
Milo Porto
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TUDW
milo porto, man, is everyone against u or something! Danm, so paranoid of never playing the drums again! But thats cool, just to let you know that ur a dieing bread, meaning theres not that much drummers that dont take risks to risk never playing drums, if any of that makes sence.

LOL!!
i get what you mean TUDW...!! but maybe you ment dying breed!! *not that i think that there are not many guys who are like me*...im sure there are tons of people like me who treasure too much , what they are doing to NOT jepordize their passion! doesnt have to be just in drumming but in other aspects as well....!! but thanx for the compliment anyways!! i belive that if you keep a focused mind to what you want to achive it WILL happen!!
its just a matter of when...!

i have seen some artiste not on their promo tour...grow really fat and sloppy!! but they shape up wqhen the time to promote their album comes near...and it must be a pain to get back into shape everytime you need to go on promo tour..why not stay fit always, that way you are ALWAYS prepared!

similarly i belive to be prepared for anything that people might wanna throw at you.....as in my case i make sure that my body/legs are pretty much warmed up/worked up! to last me thru the night where im playing nites to make ends meet!!
and also i belive that the more you work those legs, the more used they would get to strains...

i had a soccer injury sometime early this year around march ....
i tore my ankle ligament real BAD and it was swollen..as big as my calf and i could not apply preasure to my right feet/bass drum feet!! and it got me real mad..as i could not play the drums..and i got worried that i might not be able to play the drums as efficiently as before..but i worked my way back to health and swore not to play competitive sport, i still love football..but i will stick on the side lines and watch the game..i might have fun kick about BUT no more competitive games for me...!

thats why i have a fear of injuring myself / losing a limb! god!! i pray that day will NEVER come..as i wouldnt know how to live without drums!

thanx for listening!

Old 10-17-2003, 07:46 AM   #13
jonberg

Send a message via MSN to jonberg
Nice story about Virg Kirk!
He is truly devoted to drums and thatīs really inspiring.
Virgil hasnīt just moved me on his drumming skills but also with his healthy life. He is one of a kind human being!
Old 10-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #14
Milo Porto
Executive Member

Old 03-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #15
bevs_joey

i think fitness is essential. especially for heavy metal as i play. you need alot of endurance for speed drumming. so i get up every morning at 6:00 am and run for 5 miles. i then come home have some energy boosting breakfast then im out on my bike again for another 4-5 miles (depending on how im feeling lol). after that i usually am nackered so i have a rest for about an hour. After that i have another meal and then im on the weights!! i work each muscle group differently. for example :
Mondays - biceps and legs
Tusedays - Triceps and abs
Wednesdays - pure cardio
Thursdays - shoulders and back
Fridays - chest and cardio
Saturdays - all body workout
Sundays relax aaaaa!!

I use weights of about 40 kg for biceps and shoulders and maybee about 95-100kg for chest. (but sometimes can only manage about 80 on a bad day lol)
when i say cardio i mean like a run for about 7-10mile.

well thats about it really.
hope that answers any questions

bye for now