Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Zord

virgil on modern drummer?

has he ever been on the cover before?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
yyzke

No, but according to this web site he's been in it 3 times. I think he's overdue for the cover.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
cjcdrums

Heh. The best drummer in the world for the past 15 years has not once been on the cover of MD. I wonder how many times Chad Smith or Dave Grohl or Travis Barker has?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #4
Matus

Virgil was the main feature on Modern Drummer, June '99 if I remember well... It was definitely 1999. After that he appeared on the cover with Simon Philips when they were recording Moonbabies, I think in 2002.
Other than that, I can't remember more MD cover appearances.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #5
jsuplicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcdrums
Heh. The best drummer in the world for the past 15 years has not once been on the cover of MD. I wonder how many times Chad Smith or Dave Grohl or Travis Barker has?

cjcdrums...you are so right. Buuuut, I guess it's whatever sells the magazines. Not everyone has our taste I guess.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
Woodiggitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplicki
cjcdrums...you are so right. Buuuut, I guess it's whatever sells the magazines. Not everyone has our taste I guess.

what really sucks is that the magazines sell mostly through subscription(I believe) and that people eat what is on their plate(ala-MTV) . Although I love Modern Drummer , it is truly my favorite "magazine" and I have acquired a mass of knowledge on it's behalf , I ripped Dave Grohl off the cover because he(as well as his article) create a rediculous veiw for people who don't understand he sucks . Everyone has their own opinion , but talking about how tasty Dave Grohl is , is the type of **** that makes a person have to think twice about a magazine's reccommendation(I usually Find "the Needle" and it is helpful) . If Dave Grohl is Tasty , than Virgil is Jesus . Furthermore Virgil Donati Does deserve the cover and when I checked artist profiles on MD all I could find was the Simon Phillips article . I do love Modern Drummer still , but damn . Though , Virgil and Planet X were on the cover of "Progressive" I believe was the title . Oddly enough thats why my Guitarist bought it and in the article MacAlpine and Sherrinian were talking very highly of Virgils Expertise and that is when I learned he is the main musical "basis" writer of the band . That did not surprise me because of the indepently stacked odd times . Live from Oz is awesome , sorry for the rant I just go crazy sometimes . He will grace the cover soon I am sure . I noticed at the end of the Thomas Lang Video he gets a "Special Thanks". I have both the 97' MD(thanks Modern Drummer) video of Virg , his 92? power drumming video , and live at the Astoria - are there any others I should have because they are not available in my area . hittin me with some knowledge would be greatly appreciated . DIGGITT
Old 03-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Johnny

Modern Drummer was a trade magazine back when I was a kid. Now it's a fan magazine. Big difference.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 AM   #8
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
i was VERY happy to see thomas lang on the cover a couple issues ago! he had a nice little interview too!

but yeah, i think virg deserves it BY NOW!!
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:48 AM   #9
Drumblast

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodiggitt
what really sucks is that the magazines sell mostly through subscription(I believe) and that people eat what is on their plate(ala-MTV) . Although I love Modern Drummer , it is truly my favorite "magazine" and I have acquired a mass of knowledge on it's behalf , I ripped Dave Grohl off the cover because he(as well as his article) create a rediculous veiw for people who don't understand he sucks . Everyone has their own opinion , but talking about how tasty Dave Grohl is , is the type of **** that makes a person have to think twice about a magazine's reccommendation(I usually Find "the Needle" and it is helpful) . If Dave Grohl is Tasty , than Virgil is Jesus . Furthermore Virgil Donati Does deserve the cover and when I checked artist profiles on MD all I could find was the Simon Phillips article . I do love Modern Drummer still , but damn . Though , Virgil and Planet X were on the cover of "Progressive" I believe was the title . Oddly enough thats why my Guitarist bought it and in the article MacAlpine and Sherrinian were talking very highly of Virgils Expertise and that is when I learned he is the main musical "basis" writer of the band . That did not surprise me because of the indepently stacked odd times . Live from Oz is awesome , sorry for the rant I just go crazy sometimes . He will grace the cover soon I am sure . I noticed at the end of the Thomas Lang Video he gets a "Special Thanks". I have both the 97' MD(thanks Modern Drummer) video of Virg , his 92? power drumming video , and live at the Astoria - are there any others I should have because they are not available in my area . hittin me with some knowledge would be greatly appreciated . DIGGITT

Dave Grohl does not suck at drums. He is a powerfull rock drummer who writes songs and creates excellent drum parts. Thousands of people will come out to a show with his name on it. 15 people came out to show with Virgil(Jaxx nightclub CAB show)

Last edited by Drumblast : 03-11-2005 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Addition
Drumblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:34 AM   #10
Cheesefubar

Virgil was on the MD cover in June of 1999. He did not share it with anyone.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #11
morgenthaler
Administrator

right on Cheesefubar
Old 03-12-2005, 04:47 AM   #12
jimi

http://www.virgildonati.com/about_articles.php

you guys can read lots about Virgil here! Including the MD stuff
Old 04-10-2005, 04:21 AM   #13
stratman

OK first of all Dave Grohl is a great rock drummer.He has great creativity and it shows in the song ''no one knows '' by queens of the stone age.Anyway I agree with u that if he is great then virgil must be jesus.Yes virgil completely owns dave grohl and chad smith but common.What do u expect MD to put dave weckl then thomas lang and then virgil like on the cover all the time? I'm pretty sure that most peopel who buy the magazine have heard of the chilli peppers or limp bizkit or nirvana or metallica.Its all marketing like basically ''whats in'' these days. remember back when korn and limp bizkit were popular?? well now theyre not as popular.I underdstand were your coming from dude.I look up to guys like neil pert, virgil,jeff porcaro,weckl and portnoy just to name a few but that doesnt mean that chad smith has no talent either.hes a great drummer along with most of the drummers in the magazine and just cause there are better out there it doesnt mean they cant be on it.most people dont even know of the AMAZING drummers that i mentioned.like im talking about people who just listen to music and not play an instrument. they think lars is the BEST cause hes in metallica or joey is the fastest cause hes in slipnot and thats all they know.I've shown some people some videos of virgil donati and they werent really impressed until the part he went sick on double bass and hit all the cymbals and did fast tom rolls.They didnt understand that the slower stuff he was doing like his beats for example were very complex and to co ordinate everything was very tough.maybe only a few drummers can pull off some of the things he was doing.think about all the odd time signatures and various tempo changes.too many people out there are ignorant and assume limp bizkit has the best drummer becasue theyre ''in'' at the moment or korn has the best drummer because theyre ''in'' at the moment so MD is just giving people what they want.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #14
MaltBuddow3
Alicia Keys husband to be

lars ulrich

Last edited by MaltBuddow3 : 05-22-2012 at 07:56 AM.
MaltBuddow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #15
alencore
Drum Therapist

lol! the 90's bands like pearl jam, soundgarden and nirvana to name a few actually in my opinion as well as neil peart did mentioned that these bands saved live drumming or the human drummer.
alencore is offline   Reply With Quote