Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Itchy_Scratchy

zildjain's achillies heel

Has anyone esle besides me noticed the decline in quality of the zildjain cymbals??? I have always been a zildjain man, but iam having second thoughts... I recently played on a set that was at a youth rally i has playing at, and it had all sabians. i was suprised that it sounded better that my kit I have 2 zildjain chinas, which i think are abysmal compared to a wuhan (which i belived was mentioned on a post previously). i have mostly a series zildjains, there are certinatly not bad, but exept for my 12' splash, they are definetly not up to par.
any other thoughts???
Old 03-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
timthedrummer

i like the older zildjian range ie my k kats, pre aged dry light ride etc. but it just depends on what cymbals you select. every person has their own preference, i guess just choose each cymbal carefully and so that they compliment each other.
cheers
Old 03-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
drummaman1

you are correct in thinking that Zildjians have declined in quality and sound. I agree with that as well. It seems to me that all the other cymbal makers are making cymbals that sound like Zildjians USED to sound like. I still like the splash cymbals...maybe that should be the only thing they make... :-)
but seriously, something is happening at Zildjian...bad QC? Deaf cymbal testers? It seems to me they should spend less time designing cymbals for their famous drummers, more or less as a way to keep them playing Zildjian, and more time trying to keep their other lines sounding good. The A customs sound good, the A sound like garbage (I have trash can lids that sound better than the Zildjian A's coming out of that factory right now) The K's are ok (K Sessions are nice) but overall...compared to the 70's, even the 80's????

Please keep in mind that this is my opinion, though I think what I am saying is not out of line. I once resented Zildjian, because EVERYBODY played them. Now, I like some of the Zildjian stuff, but I'll just end up selling it if I find a Paiste, Sabian, Istanbul, Bosphorus, or Meinl that I like more. I dont like expendable, not in my cymbals. I like to collect them and let them appreciate. Age like fine wine.
I have a feeling that Z will lose customers if it does not watch itself. Could my point be moot? Let your ears be the judge.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
akoefman

i dont have Z`s so i cant say any thing about them, but i have K`s and and K customs and they hold a brilliant sound, wouldn`t change them for anything. i agree the A`s are trash. the K session`s are a good sound. definitley think that sabian have a very high quality range and i probably spend more time looking at their stuff than zildjian`s when in a store...
Old 03-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
KarnEvil

From what i hear, Zildjian has been making cymbals since 1623 and i doubt that their quality is suddenly dropping, but its probaly the other brands that are improving quality as apposed to zildjian declining.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
drummaman1

not a bad assumption, karnevil... but I would take a page from the Paiste book for Zildjian...if they have lines that aren't selling well, or aren't doing well, for whatever reason...then they either phase out or incorporate into existing cymbal lines. It would behoove Zildjian to do something like that, though I'm speaking strictly from my own perspective.

Most of the cymbals I'm hearing from, for example, Bosphorus...thier New Orleans Series cymbals sound like old Zildjian A's! Yes, the other companies are making better sounding stuff, but...they wont play Zildjian, if drummers like those other sounds. Z will lose out.