Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > Drums & Drumming > Tips and Techniques
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
Markdude465

How does VIRGIL tune his drums?

You know, come to think of it... how does VD tune his kit? I mean, I've noticed... that sometimes, on some kits, he's got his two mount toms switched around, with the smaller one on the right side, but occasionally, he'd still do your traditional roll down from left to right on the toms in sequence, and even though I'm assuming the smaller tom's batter head was tuned higher, it still sounded like it was in sequence (high, lower, lower, lowest)... so I'm thinking that perhaps, one could tune the batters according to the tom sizes, but then have the smaller mount tom's resonant head at a lower pitch than the larger mount tom's resonant head, giving it... lower... pitched...

overtones?

er, what? iunno...
Old 03-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
D.W.A.

it would be nice to see a vid explaining his tuning preferances in the multimedia section...cough cough.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
C.J.

I *cough* totally agree *cough*.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
D.W.A.

you got a cold too huh......lol
Old 03-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
cjcdrums

While he's at it, maybe some free instructional videos would be in order *COUGH*.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
D.W.A.

cough...hack....choke.....yea that would be nice.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
D.W.A.

hey.........steve holmes does it...............come on virg
Old 03-16-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
vdreignsuponus1

Send a message via AIM to vdreignsuponus1 Send a message via MSN to vdreignsuponus1
i was about to say "but that's because steve's the man!" but then i thought what i was about to say..and thought..wait..VIRGIL IS THE MAN!!

heh, yeah, id like to see a nice little vid from virg on tuning as well!
vdreignsuponus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
Trencherman

Dunno guys... can't say I like how Virgil tunes his kit. It's all a matter of preference I guess. I love how Thomas Lang tunes his toms -- they sound amazing, especially live. T
Old 03-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #10
Markdude465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trencherman
Dunno guys... can't say I like how Virgil tunes his kit.

and how would that be?!!1 I just wanna know if he tunes his rack toms such that the higher tom's batter is tuned higher than the lower tom's batter, but the resonant side tuned lower than the lower tom's resonant head. I think that would produce lower pitched overtones, but a higher fundamental pitch on the higher tom (which is sometimes on the right side... um, yeah), and I suspect that minnemann does the same with his 8" on the right side... you know the one.

It is pure speculation, but how is it that they can make a roll from left tom to right tom sound like the pitches are in order when there's a real small tom thrown right smack in the middle of it?! It's like in one respect, it sounds higher, but it depends on where ya put it in a fill... because sometimes it can register as a lower tom...

Am I making any sense?!!1

Like for example, the last fill at the end, there: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/...innemannex.html
hear what I'm talkin' about?

Last edited by Markdude465 : 03-18-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:06 AM   #11
virgfan

I know this thread was about tuning but I have comment on that solo clip it I am not big on speed freaks. These kinds of solos don't show me much. Terry Bozzio now he's the man
Old 03-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
cjcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgfan
I know this thread was about tuning but I have comment on that solo clip it I am not big on speed freaks. These kinds of solos don't show me much. Terry Bozzio now he's the man

I doubt that solo was designed to educate. But neither are Terry Bozzio's solos. And Marco Minnemann is "THE MAN" as well. Don't bash something you don't like, it may just be that you just can't appreciate it yet.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:20 PM   #13
C.J.

*cough... choke.... cough*