Go Back   Virgil Donati Messageboard > General > General Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
jimi

A few Virg questions!

Just a few questions that i hope some of you can answer!

When did Virg cut his hair?! I know it's sometime in 98 or 99, just curious!

Have any of you heard 'From under the Lash of Gravity' by Garsed&Helmerich with Virg on drums? I read that it was privately released at first but it's available now, weird!

What happens to Virg's pedal when he starts playing doubles in the conneticutt bootleg? I have seen him have this prob elsewhere and im thinking the pedal wasnt tightened enough or something onto the bass drum.

What happened to the overhead drum view in the TUDW2002 DVD? it disappears after the first solo clip!

How old is he? I dont really care but i read that so many people are curious so i thought id put it here.

How come Virg is so confident in the Obsessive rhythms Vid and then 3 yrs later looks so uncomfortable in front of the camera in his Power drumming vid?

ok the questions are lilting a bit and im just making up stupid ones now so please add some interesting questions if you have any!! (and dont forget to answer some too if you know have any answers!)

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
kirk

Hey Jimi. I have the Garsed and Helmerich disc. Brett Garsed called me up on the phone and we had a nice little chat, very nice guy and a wonderful player, he sent me a copy of it himself. The disc is VERY experimental. I do not dig all of it but much of it is very cool! And in the 96 Modern Drummer issue I believe it said Virg was 35 years old. So I would imagine he is around 42 possibly, not totally for sure. The other questions not absolutely sure.

Kirk
Old 09-18-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
DoubleBass_Rob

If I'm not mistaken he's about 46 now.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
DavidPartay
meeheehee

Send a message via MSN to DavidPartay
Yeah I noticed he looked a bit stage-frightened in Power Drumming

I wanna know if he wants to buy me a Pearl Eliminator double pedal

David Pardy on YouTube
DavidPartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 08:01 AM   #5
morgenthaler
Administrator

He is not 46... Kirk is right, in august 1996 (or probably some months before, knowing MD's routines) he was 35, and his birthday is october 22.....do the math!
I think You are right Jimi, it looks like on the bootleg show that the pedal comes off: is not tightent properly!
About the TUDW I dont know bout...the sound also changes....
I also have Under the lash of Gravity and it holds some crazy tracks, but I like it!!
Old 09-20-2003, 12:39 AM   #6
jimi

Well now that you guys have figured his age, we can forget about it!

About the Garsed and Helmerich question, i asked because i have found out there's a Live from M.I. '98 DVD with the crew featuring Garsed&Helmerich (obviously!), Virg&Fierabracci (cool!), kevin king on keyboards, and joel hoekstra as a guest for one (blues) song.
I guess they sold a few DVDs that year at other venues but i found out Garsed cant get any support/label to release the DVD officially. i'll definitely get it if it comes out, because its really good and the Virg solo is very nice too!

About the pedal thing, i think if the pedal was made of titanium steel Virg would still break it doing those warp speed doubles!

@kirk: thats cool you know garsed, you have australian roots or something? (mate)

Thanks for those replies!

Last edited by jimi : 09-20-2003 at 01:12 AM.